Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.hairygary.com/howitzer.html

Anyone have any knowledge of these frames / bikes ? I don't know much about steel vs. alum. for frame material. A local rider didn't know why more DH frames wern't constructed of steel. He thought alum. had to be way overbuilt to hand heavy DH . I am looking @ a used Howitzer for general DH and just wondered if anyone had any info. or thoughts on the frame / bike ? Thanx

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
keen said:
http://www.hairygary.com/howitzer.html

Anyone have any knowledge of these frames / bikes ? I don't know much about steel vs. alum. for frame material. A local rider didn't know why more DH frames wern't constructed of steel. He thought alum. had to be way overbuilt to hand heavy DH . I am looking @ a used Howitzer for general DH and just wondered if anyone had any info. or thoughts on the frame / bike ? Thanx
fugly.

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
Sick Bikes

Make that two thumbs up..

I know the builder and a couple of guys who ride them they are sick bikes that ride very well and hold up even better:D :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
is it me or...

is that f-ing light for a steel dh frame...my v10 frame i remember being well over that...how does that work out?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Steel DH... In many ways it just makes sense. I dont know about HairyGary, but Brooklyn Machine Works makes a nasty one. If I did more DH I might consider it...

Brooklyn Machine Works

Its a pretty serious committment though. As for the infamous Steel V Alu debate. I have to say, I'm slowly becoming a believer in Steel is Real. I hae a Surly Steamroller as my fixie/city bike and it feels much smoother than any of the Alu bikes I've had. I also have a FitBike Series One BMX that I go beer-garden hopping with in summer. It just feels better. It will build up into a heavier DH bike, but then, a little extra weight in DH isn't always bad.

Also there's Canfield Bros although, its a steel/alu hybrid...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.