Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
mattymatty said:
Hi all,

what about a haircut prior to a race? should save about 100g?
Nah... not worth it. Why not just cut off your testicals and all your small toes, won't be needing tohse either during a race!
Cadel Evans(pro road racer these days..) always had a superstishion about cutting his hair. One day before a race he cut his hair thinking it could not possibly be bad luck. He broke his collar bone that race. When he healed he decided to get another hair cut just to prove to himself that it was not possible it was bad luck, so that race the next day he broke his collar bone again...
I think this happened one more time, now he has learnt his lesson, don't cut your hair before a race!
LOL!

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Shave all bodily hair and wax the rest off. And don't forget the eye brows, they add up. Prior to the race give yourself an enema, no need to carry that crap around. And if you haven't done so, clip your finger and toe nails. When you shower prior to the race, make sure to use a soap and shampoo that leaves no residue and whatever you use make sure there is no fragrance. You DON’T want to carry the extra burden of fragrance.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
bike_freak said:
Nah... not worth it. Why not just cut off your testicals and all your small toes, won't be needing tohse either during a race!
Cadel Evans(pro road racer these days..) always had a superstishion about cutting his hair. One day before a race he cut his hair thinking it could not possibly be bad luck. He broke his collar bone that race. When he healed he decided to get another hair cut just to prove to himself that it was not possible it was bad luck, so that race the next day he broke his collar bone again...
I think this happened one more time, now he has learnt his lesson, don't cut your hair before a race!
LOL!
reminds me of this thread.... http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=22696&highlight=enema

·
bonkin' clyde
831 Posts
ever held a chunk of hair in your hand?

mattymatty said:
Hi all,

what about a haircut prior to a race? should save about 100g?
Not really any weight to it. just get a close cropped haircut and shave your hair in your crotch region etc, get a wax on your legs and butt and any extra hair near the exit hole, and then go ride.

ps: removing hair by wax from your a$$ region hurts like a beeatch!!

Or you could just train with a ten-lb weight in your pack and take it off before a race...same effect, even better.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Weight? Doubtful. But....

...if you're doing a time trial and have a pony tail, you might consider cutting it, or at least tucking it into your helmet. Someone with a better handle on the numbers than I, I'm thinking it was Chester Kyle (ask google) calculated that if Laurent Fignon wouldn't have had his ponytail flying in the breeze during the final-stage time trial at the Tour de France the year he lost to LeMond by 8 seconds, what year was that, '89?maybe? He would have won.

Same guy calculated that Rebecca Twigg lost some super important track pursuit, worlds maybe? because of her ponytail.
When you're going 35 mph even little things have a lot of wind drag. Hold your hand out the car window to verify that.

·
Velodramatic
533 Posts
no real weight savings here ;) but i use to cut my hair prior to a hot racing weekend. helped me finish second in this year's XC nationals

·
Velodramatic
533 Posts
i'll try to piss off some bully this night. hope he'll help me to get rid of my front teeth to save some more weight and improve air-flow during breathing :D

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
I have elective surgery scheduled for over the winter. Removing one kidney, gal bladder, appendix, tonsils, & wisdom teeth. Should easily save a pound or two. Still contemplating if I want to remove my bladder and just have a self draining catheter installed. Should be full recovered by spring!

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Negative on that (maybe). You first have to evaluate the weight of the deodorant to be used vs. the weight of the accumulated bacteria from not using it. You might have already calculated this and advised against the deodorant... but I had to make sure.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
Locoman said:
Negative on that (maybe). You first have to evaluate the weight of the deodorant to be used vs. the weight of the accumulated bacteria from not using it. You might have already calculated this and advised against the deodorant... but I had to make sure.
Don't forget, if it's deodorant/anti persperant, you need to calculate in the reduction of persperation.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I've spent money on bike parts that cut less weight than a hair cut.

Seriously though, if I'm going into a race that looks to be really hot, I'll cut it just to allow better ventilation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.