Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ran hadleys on their 29er that i can get some feed back on. i want to lace em up to my bike but i havent ran into to many people riding them. ive also tossed around just saving for a bit longer and dumping the money into a king which i know are cheech and work great. what is a fellow biker to do?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jh_on_the_cape,
does the 108pt hub still have the 4 pawl engaugement? or did they offset the pawls to get more engaugement?
id be lacing them up myself three cross. straight gauge dt spokes, 36 hole.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
rollinon29s said:
jh_on_the_cape,
does the 108pt hub still have the 4 pawl engaugement? or did they offset the pawls to get more engaugement?
id be lacing them up myself three cross. straight gauge dt spokes, 36 hole.
....the 108pt is no longer offered, so if you find one 4sale somewhere, buy it. The 108 was never 4 pawls...it is 3 pawl 36 pt hub body with the engagement staggered so that each pawl engages on it's own. They are great hubs, but it seems some are having issues with the bearings...mine were trouble free for three years & now I am on my 3rd set in 2 months. I think mine was related to the cassette carriers roller bearings, as I replaced that & have had good luck so far.

G

·
the Hadley hubs have changed recently (this year). the new ones have more coarse engagement. the new ones are also WAY quieter. I have the old ones (pretty sure since they are LOUD). They work great and I love their axle options. The bolt on axles are a thing of beauty and WAY cheaper than buying a King rear hub and then adding Fun Bolts. I have Hadley front and rear on my 29'er and love them, bolt on front and rear too. Wish I had gone through the hassle/wait to get them anodized red though. Everyone has black hubs.... :(

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
b12yan88 said:
wait ... the 108 isn't offered any more ? Where did you hear that from ?
...simply put, the Titanium alloy they were using has shot through the roof in pricing. Rather than riase the cost of their hubs through the roof as well, & rather than use an inferior alloy...they decided to resort to a 72 pt engagement system. Everything is the same except for the pawl carrier. IOW, your 108 pt pawl carrier will work fine with the current hubs & vice versa. 72 pt engagement is still respectable (same as king & better than most).

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
b12yan88 said:
So basically it got a downgrade.... and the price stayed the same ? That doesn't sound good at all.
...if by going from a 3.3 degree engagement to a 5 degree, you imply a downgrade...then yes. I think most people would sacrifice 1.5 degrees of engagement to save $100 a hub...but, whatever :rolleyes:

·
Registered
827 Posts
I'm interested to try a pair of Hadley's. I haven't been overly impressed with my King's. My first complaint is that the bearing adjustment needs an american wrench, which is odd because a friend's King hubs (which are a couple years older) use a metric bolt. It's not the biggest deal in the world, but it's a bit of an annoyance having to pull out a different set of wrenches when they need adjustment.
My second complaint is the drag. There's less drag during the warm months, but it's a real PITA not being able to backpedal very far. The hubs drag enough to give me chainsuck. They've got a few hundred hours of riding on them and are properly adjusted. My chainline is good as can be and I've had chainsuck regardless of whether my drivetrain is brand new or worn out. I've ridden other King's that didn't have this problem though, so I don't know what gives.
The super fast engagment is nice and I love the sound they make, but King's prices are through the roof, and from everything I've heard the Hadley's are just as nice.

If you're looking for faster engaging hubs than King or Hadley, check out Industry9. They have 3 degree hubs.

·
College
1,198 Posts
jncarpenter said:
...if by going from a 3.3 degree engagement to a 5 degree, you imply a downgrade...then yes. I think most people would sacrifice 1.5 degrees of engagement to save $100 a hub...but, whatever :rolleyes:
the price is going down $100? I don't think so. It's a downgrade since you would pay the same money to get a hadley hub with slower engagement.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
b12yan88 said:
the price is going down $100? I don't think so. It's a downgrade since you would pay the same money to get a hadley hub with slower engagement.
...you're either ignorant or pretending to be here.:rolleyes: To produce the identical hub would require an additional cost to the consumer ~$100...there is no other hub on the market (that I know of) which uses the amount of titanium in their drive mechanism as Hadley (even their current design...72pt). Downgrade is a relative idea here, most wouldn't consider a 5* engagement to be too shabby. You could also argue that the 72 pt design will produce a more reliable engagement than the 108pt...& you wouldn't be wrong.

I own both the Hadley hubs (108pt) & the I9 6 pawl & both are very nice hubs.

·
College
1,198 Posts
Hey don't call me ignorant when i'm just looking at the numbers here. Sure the price of TI went up but that does not make the slower engagement any less of a downgrade. It's less period, end of story. What you are doing is making a trade off of a $100(which i think is an over approximation) price increase to slower hub engagement. What should be compared is the previous hub vs. the new hub. It's a downgrade my friend. Less hub for the same money. They wouldn't have to revert to cheaper( read downgrade) engagement systems if they didn't have to, but unfortunately they do.

I never said 72 is shabby, i just said it was a shame that they downgraded it. The pawl reliability is again arguable because i have never heard of a person with hadley hubs that had trouble with the engagement.
- I just read the turner forum and some of them were complaining about failure, hopefully that's due to the weaker steel they were forced to use.

Anyways, I have some questions for you. What does the new engagement system look like(verbal visuals are fine). I'm thinking about getting a set of blue anodized ones, but i hear they are having trouble with a new anodizing company getthing the color they want. Do you know anything about this ? Ive been trying to get a set for quite some time now, but no luck.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
rollinon29s said:
has anyone ran hadleys on their 29er that i can get some feed back on. i want to lace em up to my bike but i havent ran into to many people riding them. ive also tossed around just saving for a bit longer and dumping the money into a king which i know are cheech and work great. what is a fellow biker to do?
More Hadley information on the Turner forum http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=203541

It turned into sort of a pissing match, but there have been some problems with the hubs. It might have been setup issues, hard to tell.

Monte

·
College
1,198 Posts
I just found out that it's cause they ( hadley) couldn't get a higher grade steel anymore, but tried to do there 108 and consequently this resulted in some hub failures. So now they use the lower grade steel with the 72 engagement.

·
College
1,198 Posts
"Bryan.....Mike Hadley had to change the hubs to the 72 pt drive because they were starting to recieve lesser grade steel that goes into building the drive ring. It sounds like the price for the raw materials was going up as well. So trying to find that premium steel that was needed for the 108 was becoming scarce, sometimes Mike could find the material other times not. So he tried building a few with a lesser grade steel and ended up having a few hubs with mechanical issues. So back to the design and testing table he went and he ended up with the 72 pt drive, which is in all honesty still on par with the best.
"

that's a retailers response

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.