Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Kiwi Spotter
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Anybody had any experence with these hubs, they sound very tasty with the 108 engagement points . :)

I'm 180lb ride aggresively, doing 4-5 foot drops and doing some super technical super steep climbing so there is a heap of torque on the rear hub, as you guys know the 5 spot will keep climbing over nearly anything and the only thing that seems to stop it is the drive train or the engine :D

If any fellow Homers are running Hadley I would love to hear you thoughts.

Regards

Muzz from Down Under

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
I can't offer any help other than to say that I have a gold Hadley rear hub just sitting here, waiting for my HIghline to arrive. I think you'll be stoked on that hub.

·
Mr.Secret
643 Posts
I think DTs dh guys run them and if they're good enough for him.......I've also built several wheelsets for the Vicious Thunderwing with no durability issues. Very well built, designed, hubs. Sometimes hard to get though.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Gunslinger said:
Hi Guys

Anybody had any experence with these hubs, they sound very tasty with the 108 engagement points . :)

I'm 180lb ride aggresively, doing 4-5 foot drops and doing some super technical super steep climbing so there is a heap of torque on the rear hub, as you guys know the 5 spot will keep climbing over nearly anything and the only thing that seems to stop it is the drive train or the engine :D

If any fellow Homers are running Hadley I would love to hear you thoughts.

Regards

Muzz from Down Under
...Hadley Hubs are pretty much bomb-proof (much like Turner bikes) & any issues you may run into with them are easily resolved by excellent CS (much like Turner bikes :D ). 8 out of 10 DH'ers will give the nod to Hadley & stand behind the products. I have been on my current rear Hadley (108 pt Ti carrier, 10mm TA) for almost 2 years & haven't had one issue. The hubs are very easy to maintain & essentially worry free...set it & forget it. IMHO they have as much bling factor as Kings with a significant price break. I think last I heard, they were going to be launching a website in Feb. 06. I can easily endorse & highly recommend both the products & the company...you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
jncarpenter said:
...Hadley Hubs are pretty much bomb-proof (much like Turner bikes) & any issues you may run into with them are easily resolved by excellent CS (much like Turner bikes :D ). 8 out of 10 DH'ers will give the nod to Hadley & stand behind the products. I have been on my current rear Hadley (108 pt Ti carrier, 10mm TA) for almost 2 years & haven't had one issue. The hubs are very easy to maintain & essentially worry free...set it & forget it. IMHO they have as much bling factor as Kings with a significant price break. I think last I heard, they were going to be launching a website in Feb. 06. I can easily endorse & highly recommend both the products & the company...you won't be disappointed.
kings are better. IMHO hadley are above average. when your bearing get grity on a hadley, they are done. pull them out and press in new ones. and you need a pinned surface spanner to play with them.

with my kings, I just disasemble with a few hex wrenchs. pull the c-clip on the bearing. spray in the tri flow and spin the bearings clean with compressed air. add more lube and they are good to go.

I ride with the same 3 guys everyweekend. all run kings except one. he runs hadley. he was a big "hadley is the greatest" guy. his Enthusiasm did not stand the test of time.and had problems with them.. and is reluctent to ride in the winter to avoid crapping out his bearings.

still hadley is a good hub, but to me it is not better then king. I'm an idiot and I'm able to rebuild a king rear with no issues first time. we had issues trying to rebuild his rear hadley.

·
fried stuff with cheese
1,293 Posts
I've just had a wheel set built up with them. Only got in a few rides before the snow, but my initial impression is that they are nothing but quality. I had just come off a set of Hope Bulbs (nice hubs) and could feel the difference in engagement. I'm not sure what you are looking for but I have a front wheel built up by Larry at Mtn High with a QR gold Hadley with Mavic XM819Disc that I may be looking to sell. It only has 2-3 rides on it. PM me if you have any interest. I'm thinking of having a new one built with a 20mm hub.

·
Mr.Secret
643 Posts
demo_slug said:
kings are better. IMHO hadley are above average. when your bearing get grity on a hadley, they are done. pull them out and press in new ones. and you need a pinned surface spanner to play with them.

with my kings, I just disasemble with a few hex wrenchs. pull the c-clip on the bearing. spray in the tri flow and spin the bearings clean with compressed air. add more lube and they are good to go.

I ride with the same 3 guys everyweekend. all run kings except one. he runs hadley. he was a big "hadley is the greatest" guy. his Enthusiasm did not stand the test of time.and had problems with them.. and is reluctent to ride in the winter to avoid crapping out his bearings.

still hadley is a good hub, but to me it is not better then king. I'm an idiot and I'm able to rebuild a king rear with no issues first time. we had issues trying to rebuild his rear hadley.
Hey Demo, whats your "winter" consist of ?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
That's funny....

demo_slug said:

I got reluctant to ride w/ my CK hubs in the winter because the drag got so bad that I kept dropping my chain. Finally got rid of them and I don't miss them one bit.

Dave

·
Registered
180 Posts
Alternative hub

I ride IndustryNine hubs. 3 degree engagement (King is 5 degree engagement). High bling factor. Simple, reliable mechanism. I have about 3 months of near daily rides with a lot of snow and mud. No problems. No maintenance. You can check them out at www.industrynine.net. A complete wheel set will cost about the same as a King set but without the angry bee sound.

·
Mr.Secret
643 Posts
testtech said:
I ride IndustryNine hubs. 3 degree engagement (King is 5 degree engagement). High bling factor. Simple, reliable mechanism. I have about 3 months of near daily rides with a lot of snow and mud. No problems. No maintenance. You can check them out at www.industrynine.net. A complete wheel set will cost about the same as a King set but without the angry bee sound.
Angry bee sound? Didn't you know "to coast is to admit defeat"? :D

·
Kiwi Spotter
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the Reply guys

It sure does sound like they are quality hubs, the rear hub Im running at the moment has just given up after 10 months use, I wont mention names just yet as the company has said they will fix it under warrenty , but I dont know if I can trust it again, they said that for this to have happened is just bad luck or that the hub had been used for trials riding, now i'm an alright rider but i'm not anything close to a trials rider, I have started to do the odd trail hop and wheelie drop but nothing close to what those guys do.

So this is why I want to find a new rear Hub.

El Chingon any chance of a pic? it would be nice to see what shade of gold your hub is as I will be matching with a gold front hub. Any flange measurements would be handy too.

Cheers again guys

Muzz

·
fried stuff with cheese
1,293 Posts
Gunslinger said:
El Chingon any chance of a pic? it would be nice to see what shade of gold your hub is as I will be matching with a gold front hub. Any flange measurements would be handy too.

Muzz
If your front hub is a gold hope the hadley gold is much brighter.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
I've had a hadley rear on my DHR for three riding seasons now. It's swell.

My only gripe is the thin lube oil you're supposed to use in them.......it leaks out and hates freedom.

I just started putting slick honey in it (a big no no according to hadley......gets cancer or something) and it's been going strong for 2 of those years like that. Occasional clean and re-lube just like everything else.

The best thing about them is the interchangibility. I can run a 10mm QR, or a 12-20mm through-axle. I have the blessed 15mm on my turner which no one ever uses.......ever.......so because of hadley, I'm like a beacon of uniqueness in a sea of mundacity. When I drive by with my dh bike on the back of my truck, chicks throw panties at me that say " I <3 uniquely sized shafts in the rear" It's kind of a long phrase to put on a pair of girly undies and the type is small, but the fatties are stoked because they can use bigger fonts.............all because of hadley.

As far as front hubs go.....who cares........I get mine out of the trash cans at bike shops.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
Muzz,

I have Hadley hubs in 3 rear wheels and 1 front wheel. all rear hubs are the standard engagement, not the trials 106-pawl or whatever the count is... heh.

unless you really, really need instantaneous drive from your hub, the basic DH rear hub should be fine. light, strong, but not inexpensive. on the other hand, cheaper than King or True Precision.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Gunslinger said:
it would be nice to see what shade of gold your hub is as I will be matching with a gold front hub. Any flange measurements would be handy too.

Cheers again guys

Muzz
Here's a pic of all the Hadley colors. Rear hub specs are...
60mm flange dia.
20.3 drive side center to flange
33.7 non-drive center to flange.

Larry Mettler
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.