Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if Hadley hubs are good for XC use. It seems as the rear hubs are designated as DH hubs at most of the online retailer sites that carry them. Are all Hadley rear hubs FR/DH designated? or just the 10/12mm TA ones? .. :confused: The front 9mm TA and QR seem to be XC hubs....

Any intended use info for these hubs is appreciated. Thanks.

Nuts.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Check out Universal Cycles....

Nuts said:
I was wondering if Hadley hubs are good for XC use. It seems as the rear hubs are designated as DH hubs at most of the online retailer sites that carry them. Are all Hadley rear hubs FR/DH designated? or just the 10/12mm TA ones? .. :confused: The front 9mm TA and QR seem to be XC hubs....

Any intended use info for these hubs is appreciated. Thanks.

Nuts.
they have the rear hubs set up in any of the three configurations that they come in. 12mm Thru, 10mm bolt on, and QR. The nice thing about the Hadley's is they are convertable should you decide you want to use a bolt on axle later on. Anyway, below is the link for their website. They should work just fine for XC, a little on the porky side as compared to say a King hub, kings are about 306g without QR, as opposed to the Hadley at around 355g w/out QR. But they will make a stout and reliable wheel for sure. Bet you'd never have to replace them, at least not for a long time!

http://www.universalcycles.com/

Good Dirt

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Hadley does make hubs for both front and rear QR XC use. However, they are built stronge enough to be used for FR/DH use. With this there is a weight penalty, they are not light for how much you pay. There are other hubs which cost less, weigh less, and are plenty durable for XC use.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Yeah, absolutely. They are not the lightest out there, but weight is still very reasonable and the quality and engagement speed are superb. If weight is your primary concern then there are other good options like the DT 240s or WTB Laser-Disc Lite, but you will give up some engagement speed and/or overall quality with some of the light options.

Larry Mettler
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Just the info I was looking to get.

I'm not too worried about the weight. Durability and ease of maintenance are my primary concerns. I considered the Hope hubs but the faster engagement was the tie breaker.
I'll be looking to order some Hadleys now.... :D

Nuts.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Nuts said:

I'm not too worried about the weight. Durability and ease of maintenance are my primary concerns. I considered the Hope hubs but the faster engagement was the tie breaker.

Nuts.
Considered the new Hope Pro hub in the rear with the XC front?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
GearHead said:
You mean these:

Front Hub
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7564

Rear Hub
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7566

With the new much lower weight, more points of engagement for XC use, new pawl design, and relative low cost these should become popular.
Hum, guess maybe the arrival of some rims and the need now for only a front hub to complete the heavy, yet durable XT/Mavic 321 wheelset was a good thing for me. Didn't know that HOPE had come out with a new version of their XC hubs and had been planning on getting a wheelset made up using them w/ some relatively light rims for a "ultra" XC/Agressive XC wheelset but since I had this "chance" occur and now read this I'm glad I will be putting off my "ultra" wheelset till later this year. Thanks for the info GearHead

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh no.....

I was checking out wheelbuilder.com to check out the spokes and nipples I was going to need to build the Hadley's when I saw the White Industies Disc Jockeys....

Any opinions on these hubs compared to Hadleys in terms of durability, maintenance, engagement and quality? I'll be building with some 317s. Thanks.

Nuts.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Sure

I'm enjoying my XC Hadley wheels so far. Gold standard engagement hubs laced by double butted spokes to Bonty Maveric rims weigh 1725g without a cassett or skewers. The ratchet noise is more click than the King buzz and so far the lower number of engagements hasn't been an issue.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Unreal Cycles seems to have the best deal on Hadleys. I've never dealt with Unreal Cycles personally, but my friends have and they say that the guy that runs the site is really good.

I'm gonna pick up some Hadleys for my new 29'er pretty soon. I'm coming from Kings and I'm not overly excited about the additional weight, but the quality seems spot on and faster engagement really gets my motor running! Oh, and the Titanium cassette carrier will be a huge upgrade from King's soft aluminum carrier. Mine is so chewed up that it's a ***** to get my cassettes off anymore. 5 years of racing does that, though...

http://www.unrealcycles.com/item.php?view=136

- Jeremy -

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Nuts said:
I was checking out wheelbuilder.com to check out the spokes and nipples I was going to need to build the Hadley's when I saw the White Industies Disc Jockeys....

Any opinions on these hubs compared to Hadleys in terms of durability, maintenance, engagement and quality? I'll be building with some 317s. Thanks.

Nuts.
White makes very good stuff, and they are pretty light. I would consider them a step below Hadley though. King and Hadley are at the top of the heap. DT 240s, White, & Hope are a level below but are all very good.
Larry

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Nuts said:

Nuts.
Do yourself a favor and call Ventanarama (aka Larry) at Mountain High Cyclery
970-669-7960. He is great to deal with and has fantastic prices. I recently bought a Hadley 20mm hub from him and I'm very pleased with it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Long, long time King user just built up my first set of Hadley wheels a couple months ago. Very happy, roll better, hook up quicker but are a bit heavier (weight diff is academic, based on location and the amount. Only way to truly tell is with a scale).

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
DMFT said:
- Who distributes Hadley's stuff???
Thanks.
The only wholesale distributor I know of who carries Hadley is BTI. I mostly buy direct from Hadley. BTI still has some that are 36pt engagement, they are transitioning to 108pt, if you order make sure you are actually getting 108 as the description has been updated but they still have some stock of 36pt.
Larry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.