Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm just riding along and I hear the infamous Hadley screech, followed by a cassette that backs up the chain while coasting.

Hoping that it was just something that came loose, I cracked open the hub and found this lovely piece floating around inside.

Yes, the driveside bearing exploded again. I've had this hub for about 7 months now, and just had the bearing replaced two months ago.

Has anyone had any experience with the Enduro bearings? Apparently, they're sealed on both sides instead of just one side like the stock ones.

Hopefully the hub will somewhat function again with this broken piece removed - at least until I can get my hands on some new bearings...:mad:

·
otb club member
3,086 Posts
dubjay said:
So I'm just riding along and I hear the infamous Hadley screech, followed by a cassette that backs up the chain while coasting.

Hoping that it was just something that came loose, I cracked open the hub and found this lovely piece floating around inside.

Yes, the driveside bearing exploded again. I've had this hub for about 7 months now, and just had the bearing replaced two months ago.

Has anyone had any experience with the Enduro bearings? Apparently, they're sealed on both sides instead of just one side like the stock ones.

Hopefully the hub will somewhat function again with this broken piece removed - at least until I can get my hands on some new bearings...:mad:
I was going to refer you to the Sicklines.com article, but I can tell by the pic that you've been there. Despite having a single seal, I can't imagine your old bearing failing in two months. What shape are the hub seals in? If that piece of debris is part of the bearing race, that's some pretty heavy corrosion. Are you getting lots of water inside the hub?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris2fur said:
I was going to refer you to the Sicklines.com article, but I can tell by the pic that you've been there. Despite having a single seal, I can't imagine your old bearing failing in two months. What shape are the hub seals in? If that piece of debris is part of the bearing race, that's some pretty heavy corrosion. Are you getting lots of water inside the hub?
Yeah - I think that's part of the bearing race. I ride in So Cal - and we're actually in a semi-draught - so there's not much water getting in at all. When I cracked her open, the grease looked normal.

I actually called Hadley for replacement bearings, but they just recommended I send it in. They received it today and they said they'll be shipping it out tonight. I don't know if they'll be switching me to the 72pt internals or not..we'll see. They just said "I don't want to see your wheel in there again" - and yes..I agree!

·
otb club member
3,086 Posts
dubjay said:
Yeah - I think that's part of the bearing race. I ride in So Cal - and we're actually in a semi-draught - so there's not much water getting in at all. When I cracked her open, the grease looked normal.

I actually called Hadley for replacement bearings, but they just recommended I send it in. They received it today and they said they'll be shipping it out tonight. I don't know if they'll be switching me to the 72pt internals or not..we'll see. They just said "I don't want to see your wheel in there again" - and yes..I agree!
I'm glad to hear you sent it in. The folks at Hadley are super-helpful and friendly. See if they will explain what was going on and then post back the results.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
dubjay said:

Yes, they will switch it to the newer 72pt-engagment freehub body. Not quite as quick, but far more reliable. They've also changed the type of bearing they are using on that side.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
108-72 = no difference

Doesn't matter. Hub drive side bearing will fail. You can try an Enduro Max bearing for this application. It doesn't use any retainer therefore the extra balls within the bearing will endure greater loads/stress over time. This is what I put into a friends hub that failed twice for the same thing. So far.... so good but the jury is still out.:skep:

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Pre-Ride Check???

- As a wrench and owner of a 108 Hadley, I've had minimal issues with this hub in 2 nasty years of singlespeeding it.

I ALWAYS check for hub-play before every ride while feeling/airing up my tires.
IME, the Rear hub took ALOT of minor adjusting to find the sweet-spot and not loosen up.

I am now KNOCKING on wood in hopes that my hub does not go kaaaabooom! :D

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chris2fur said:
I'm glad to hear you sent it in. The folks at Hadley are super-helpful and friendly. See if they will explain what was going on and then post back the results.
Got the wheel back today. Packing slip didn't say much - just said Hub Shell Replaced and Re-laced. I counted the number of ticks in a 1/4 revolution (18). It seems like I have the 72pt shell now.

I'll try giving them a call tomorrow to see what happened.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
taking a chance?

i just the other day put my original freehub back in my hadley after about 6 months of trouble free riding. hadley replaced everything inside the hubshell when one of the bearings failed, as in some of the balls in the cartridge actually broke up. i had them send me all the parts that they replaced which included a 4 pawl freehub. they installed a 3 pawl freehub. the shell has 36 teeth but has 108 points of engagement using the 3 pawl since they are evenly spaced & only one at a time engage. the 4 pawls are unevenly spaced, so it engages in line w/ the teethed shell. hopefully everything will hold up as a Hadley of old.
think i'm taking a chance?

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
nhodge said:
i just the other day put my original freehub back in my hadley after about 6 months of trouble free riding. hadley replaced everything inside the hubshell when one of the bearings failed, as in some of the balls in the cartridge actually broke up. i had them send me all the parts that they replaced which included a 4 pawl freehub. they installed a 3 pawl freehub, converting it to a 72. the shell has 72 teeth but has 108 points of engagement using the 4 pawl since they are not evenly spaced & only two at a time engage. the 3 pawls are evenly spaced, so it engages in line w/ the teethed shell. hopefully everything will hold up as a Hadley of old.
think i'm taking a chance?
Yes, if you're running the 108 one then you are definitely taking a chance. It will more than likely fail, might be very soon and might be later, but it will happen eventually.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
so why do you say that like it is an absolute? Mike Hadley explained to me that he got bad bearings from i supplier & that is what failed, a cartridge bearing. i bought the 108 Hadley because i wanted the quick engagement & they had a great rep for reliability. the bad bearing supplier was a short lived partner. i'm thinking the problem is gone...but?

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Problem is NOT gone...

nhodge said:
so why do you say that like it is an absolute? Mike Hadley explained to me that he got bad bearings from i supplier & that is what failed, a cartridge bearing. i bought the 108 Hadley because i wanted the quick engagement & they had a great rep for reliability. the bad bearing supplier was a short lived partner. i'm thinking the problem is gone...but?
Hadley changed their design for these 72-108 engagement hubs. The Drive side cartridge bearing (the one that always fails) is installed from the nondrive side and pressed all the way through the hub shell over to the drive side location. Its location (IMHO) is too far inwards of the hub shell and being only a 7mm wide cartridge bearing, there's too much lateral forces being generated for this bearing to handle. It's a shame as Hadley's 36 point hubs ARE bullet proof and are what gained their reputation as a very reliable hub. Their efforts to create a quicker engagement hub has failed miserably.:nono:

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
bad design

AZmtncycler said:
Hadley changed their design for these 72-108 engagement hubs. The Drive side cartridge bearing (the one that always fails) is installed from the nondrive side and pressed all the way through the hub shell over to the drive side location. Its location (IMHO) is too far inwards of the hub shell and being only a 7mm wide cartridge bearing, there's too much lateral forces being generated for this bearing to handle. It's a shame as Hadley's 36 point hubs ARE bullet proof and are what gained their reputation as a very reliable hub. Their efforts to create a quicker engagement hub has failed miserably.:nono:
so are you saying regardless of which freehub i'm using that being is on borrowed time?
you got me all paranoid here first thing in the morning.:confused:
thanks-norman

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Sad to say.....

nhodge said:
so are you saying regardless of which freehub i'm using that being is on borrowed time?
you got me all paranoid here first thing in the morning.:confused:
thanks-norman
But yes.. both the 108 and 72 pt. hubs use the same hub shell/bearing design. I have no idea why Hadley thinks going from the 108 pt. engagement to 72 pt. would fix this problem as there hasn't been a single failure of the freehub assy. that I've come across in these forums. It's always been the bearing failure.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
that's exactly how i see it & why i put in the quicker engaging freehub. the problem was w/ the bearings being inferior & they are using a different bearing supplier. this onfo. is from Mike Hadley himself. at this point i'm taking his word for it & thus taking a chance, i guess.

later

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.