Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I got my Marzocchi All-Mountain 1, I've always felt the front end had quite a bit of play when going through the rough stuff, especially compared to how solid 20mm forks feel. One day, while surfing the various bike websites, I found out that Hadley offered a 9mm thru-axle conversion for their front hubs. This route would obviously be much more inexpensive than buying a new 20mm fork and getting a new wheel built.

So now instead of a standard 5mm quick release, I have a bolt-on 9mm thru-axle up front. My preliminary conclusion is that the front end definitely feels much stiffer. I'm not getting any of that disc rotor shimmy when you usually take a hard corner and it feels like the bike definitely holds the line much better through the rough stuff.

Installation

Installation is very easy. All you need are two 18mm cone wrenches (or a normal low profile wrench will do). Hold one end and turn the other end counter-clockwise to loosen. Eventually, both ends will become loose enough and you can slide both sides out. To install the new one, just reverse the procedure.

Pictures

Hadley front hub with quick-release axle

Hadley front hub with new 9mm thru-axle installed.

Pic of the thru-axle.

Pic of the new converted hub installed on the All-Mountain 1.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
I have had that setup for about 8 months now. There is definitely a difference in stiffness. Are you thinking about an RWS quick release thru axle skewer? I hate taking mine on and off. It is a pain. That is my only complaint.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
indyfab25 said:
I have had that setup for about 8 months now. There is definitely a difference in stiffness. Are you thinking about an RWS quick release thru axle skewer? I hate taking mine on and off. It is a pain. That is my only complaint.
I took it out for another ride last night. It definitely is an upgrade. The front end seems to stay more planted and connected with the ground. I don't get as much deflection when hitting the off-camber stuff either.

As for the RWS quick release - I didn't even know such a thing existed. Do you have more info somewhere?

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
dubjay said:
I took it out for another ride last night. It definitely is an upgrade. The front end seems to stay more planted and connected with the ground. I don't get as much deflection when hitting the off-camber stuff either.

As for the RWS quick release - I didn't even know such a thing existed. Do you have more info somewhere?
These are VERY cool.
http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=proline.bikedetail&id=64

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
this is interesting

ok, you guys got me in to this, how do I convert my Easton AM Havocs to run a 9mm thru axle front since my fork is a regular 5mm QR and convert my rear to a 10mm??

·
Registered
682 Posts
The Orange Prophet said:
:

Very cool :cool:

Anyone know if you can use these on any type of hub like a Shimano M475?
Those will not work with a Shimano front hub. Shimano requires a threaded axle for the cup & cone bearings. It is, however, easy to use solid 9mm threaded axle w/ nuts on each end (or, you can cut down the hollow through axle used in a rear hub).

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
GiantCHaDSTeR said:
ok, you guys got me in to this, how do I convert my Easton AM Havocs to run a 9mm thru axle front since my fork is a regular 5mm QR and convert my rear to a 10mm??
Easton is working on a rear axle conversion kit that will make it bolt on Saint/Hone compatible, and another one that will make it a straight ahead bolt-on similar to the Chris King Fun Bolts. The Easton Havoc rear axle is actually huge inside the hub, they just knock it down to 10mm at the QR dropout interface.

With the 9mm/20mm adapters on the front of the Havocs there's no way to adapt the front to a bolt on 9mm axle without some machining of the QR insert adapters.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
mx_599 said:
i don't understand how this works? does the lever move? it looks like just a bolt and the lever does not swing open??

confused?
It works like a ratchet of sorts. The lever pops up and rotates and then slips back onto the end. I do not have one yet...but you can bet I'll have one soon.

·
Registered
319 Posts
dubjay said:
So now instead of a standard 5mm quick release, I have a bolt-on 9mm thru-axle up front. My preliminary conclusion is that the front end definitely feels much stiffer. I'm not getting any of that disc rotor shimmy when you usually take a hard corner and it feels like the bike definitely holds the line much better through the rough stuff.
Isn't this similar to the Stout Skraxle? I know it's not ideal, I have to tighten it really fast and always have to check if the washers are tightened properly before thightening the quick-release or the wheel will be wobbly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.