Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
try driving your car less
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
Jwind said:
Only one pawl engages at a time huh? Not being much of a wrench I'm not sure how big a deal this is... I do know I'm about to pull the trigger on a new custom wheelset from Universal Cycles and they only have the hadley 108's for the rear.

Please knock me off the fence... One way or the other.
i am waiting on a rear wheel with the hadley 108 right now. i read around a bit and never heard any problems with them. i say go for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,544 Posts
I have them with my 819s. Zero problems and engagement so quick that you will never be able to go to anything but the 72 point hadleys or CKs after that:thumbsup:

They are great but riding my Hope XCs just don't feel right anymore. The Hope XCs have been reliable for two years or maybe even three but I personally love the quick engagement of the Hadleys in technical sections- especially slow rocky sections.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,071 Posts
The 108pt are less reliable than the 36pt. The 36pt has all 3 pawls engaging at the same time, 108pt has one at a time. I have had a few 36pt Hadleys and have put them thru several brutal seasons in the bearing-seizing Northwest, they are the only hubs I will buy.

I have found the difference between 36pt engagement and Kings is not enough to be a hindrance on very technical trails (but shimano 18pt engagement sure is).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,544 Posts
I suppose if you are pretty brutal with your bike, I'd go with a 36 point but I'm not sure what the theoretical/statistical difference is, let alone the practical difference in reliability.

I'm seriously considering a new wheelset and am loooking at the CKs this time, primarily because of the engagement points. I'd consider a 36 if it made the wheels significantly lighter but the weight difference is probably felt in the overall bike, not the wheels anyway.
 

·
trail "cleaner"
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Warning about the Hadley 108's

my riding buddy has now had two drive side bearings explode within 2 months each of use. I've had the 36 point engagement hub for 4+ years with no issue. BUT they changed the design for those 108 pt. engagement hubs and clearly are not as durable. :nono: Do a search and you'll find other folks posting the same about the 108's.
 

·
Pivoteer
Joined
·
3,445 Posts
AZmtncycler said:
my riding buddy has now had two drive side bearings explode within 2 months each of use. I've had the 36 point engagement hub for 4+ years with no issue. BUT they changed the design for those 108 pt. engagement hubs and clearly are not as durable. :nono: Do a search and you'll find other folks posting the same about the 108's.
Yep, there is a reason those 108's have been discontinued. It's too bad he had to go through this once, but twice in as many months. I was really beginning to get on the Hadley bandwagon (not that I would ever sell my Kings). I guess I will just stick with my slow rolling, frequent maintance, heavy, sealed way to well, slow engagement, overpriced, 5 year warrantied, and loud Kings :cornut:
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
I must be a girlier rider than most cause I just dont buy into the engagement issue...unless riding trials, i think people spend too much time basing decisions on engagement.

Having said that, with all things equal sure, get quicker engagement but would not drive my decision. My newest wheelset has even quicker than hadley, at 120 pts and while i love the wheelset, it does not make me a better rider cause of the engagement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
938 Posts
FoShizzle said:
I must be a girlier rider than most cause I just dont buy into the engagement issue...unless riding trials, i think people spend too much time basing decisions on engagement.
I totally agree, except when you're at a standstill, you don't really notice the difference. I have a king hub and a shimano hub, and once you're rolling at a reasonable speed it doesn't matter what the engagement ratio is. You still have to get your cranks up to speed to catch up to the rear hub, and this takes longer than hooking up with the engagement window of the rear hub.
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Fat Elvis said:
I totally agree, except when you're at a standstill, you don't really notice the difference. I have a king hub and a shimano hub, and once you're rolling at a reasonable speed it doesn't matter what the engagement ratio is. You still have to get your cranks up to speed to catch up to the rear hub, and this takes longer than hooking up with the engagement window of the rear hub.
i hear yuh.....i guess of course I technically do feel a difference....I am only questioning that for "most" of us, does that difference actually make a hill of beans difference "on the trail" and have a tangible improvement overall that is worth anything other than warm fuzzies.....

cheers
 

·
3 "fiddy" for short
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
FoShizzle said:
i hear yuh.....i guess of course I technically do feel a difference....I am only questioning that for "most" of us, does that difference actually make a hill of beans difference "on the trail" and have a tangible improvement overall that is worth anything other than warm fuzzies.....

cheers
Come on FO... you know as well as I do that only Homers can feel this difference.:D
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
be350ka said:
Come on FO... you know as well as I do that only Homers can feel this difference.:D
good point.......you Homers seem to have extra senses that us mere mortals do not have :)

the reason I prefer quicker engagement is that typically those hubs, for whatever reason, seem to be the one that have more options when it comes to choosing different anodized colors ;)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top