Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure some of you can relate. This summer I got back into mountainbiking and I have since been trying to get faster and better as we all do...I guess. So I've been busting my butt as I have tendency to do, always testing my limits on my road bike for training or on the trails for climbing cornering etc. I like going fast don't get me wrong but today I experienced a pleasure I haven't experienced in a while.

I put a 17t cog on the back of my Monocog 29er and in a pair jeans and sneakers, I rode to the video store; about an eight mile round trip. Wow, that was fun, just cruising and taking in the scenery from a new, more relaxed perspective. I got a good spin going and rolled through the burbs at probably 12-14 mph and when I got to Blockbuster I was in a markedly better mood than when I left thanks to the endorphins that don't get released by driving there. I often found myself wondering why those drivers were in such a hurry as they passed by momentarily forgetting that I'm usually one of them. I need to do this more often. Next mission, ride to the library with a backpack to return my late, as usual, books.:thumbsup:

·
donkey
263 Posts
Awesome, thanks for sharing. Riding my fixed gear to class always puts me in a better mood, even when its around 28. Riding my monocog at home is the only thing that beats it! I'm starting to think there should be a regular monocog convention of some sort.

·
Registered
51 Posts
count me in

nbrennan said:
Awesome, thanks for sharing. Riding my fixed gear to class always puts me in a better mood, even when its around 28. Riding my monocog at home is the only thing that beats it! I'm starting to think there should be a regular monocog convention of some sort.
i like my monocog enough to come to the convention

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today was my first street ride on the Monocog since I never had a decent cog for the road and I honestly don't know when I'll ride my road bike again. If I gear the Monocog a little Taller like 14-15 in the rear I'll be able to get a good workout on the road and have a blast to boot.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I can't comment on the monocog, but urban riding and commuting is some of the funnest riding that I do. And the best part about it is that I do it everyday between classes, to eat, on RA rounds, or just for fun. One question for all of you monocog owners, how do you like them. My current ss bike is a converted Giant Iguana, but this summer I am hoping to put together a dedicated rigid 29er ss bike. Thanks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really like my Monocog and it seems like everyone else does too. The stock headset is weak but everything else is good to go right out of the box, plus I like the color and the cool little design on the top tube. The freehub body is steel and you can get the Redline cogs new off Amazon for $3.88 each so it's cheap to experiment with different gearing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I can relate! Sometimes you need to just enjoy the ride. I live rural now and sure do miss the hard surface of street and sidewalk.

A convention would be huge. I really like my 26er Monocog. Been riding it hard for a year, replacing parts at they break. (pump track and single track) Lots of abuse.

Went with the GF rig for my 29er. Had an ice/snow storm the day after I picked it up...so no dirt yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.