Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
Yep I use it on my geared bike. I use it not so much of an aero position but, as a nice way to stretch out on long non tech. climbs or gravel/paved roads. I have a stubby Jones bar on the SS and don’t really miss the extensions on that bike. The position up there is more aero though, if you are forced to deal with long stretches of road you can feel the difference of narrowing and lowering your upper body once you are above ~15 mph or so. If you ride nothing but singletrrack the extensions would be worthless IMHO.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Yes, often. Then, my trails are somewhat lame.
With SS'ing at high pace, the slightest flat straight has you spinning. I then naturally slide towards the aero position, and use it to keep my speed up with the spin-coast routine. It seems to really get me across te straights well. Like cheating.
For those few grams saved I will not give up the u-pper half of the H.

·
Registered
236 Posts
in the two years i've had the bars i've used them about a dozen times. mostly out of guilt. i have it so i might as well use it right. well about 4 mos ago i chopped'em and don't regret it at all. not for weight reasons, really nothing there when you hold them in your hand, but aesthetics. the front end just looks cleaner now.

e

·
Registered
345 Posts
Very Rarely

Used them a bit at Dirty Kanza last year. I use them from time to time on long training rides, mostly to stretch out. I also used them a bit on fast, flat sections of the Iceman course.

Joe

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Yes

I use them for an aero tuck position on flat parts of the trail. It is also nice on more epic rides where you can change up your position a bit and stretch out your back. I use them enough to not want to cut them off.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Haven't ridden H-bars much, but I've wanted such a position on my Mary bar when I'm on the road between home and the trailhead. Finally added stubby bar ends ("Mary's nipples"), which I now use quite a bit both on pavement and on longer flat sections of trail.

If I rode exclusively singletrack they probably wouldn't be of much use.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Never on the trails

But almost always on the roads (gravel roads, fire roads, and paved roads to the trails).

They are sort of like the passenger side sun visor in your car...you paid for it...might as well use it once in a while.

Seriously though, the extra positions are nice to have for those really long rides/races.

Not sure why you are asking, but the trimmed version costs the same as the non-hooked variety and only slightly less than the hooked. The weight savings just does not seem to be there...I have ridden aluminum versions of this concept (Mary) and prefer the feel of the Ti.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use them a lot-it is a good position for various things -but that is just me and depends on where and how you ride-my thought when I got them though was there is not really any disadvantage in having the curved extension over the stubby so I went with the curved and I am glad I did.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I do use the aero position

In fact the longer I ride with these bars (About 2 yr now) the more I tend to use all the positions I can. I think if you are used to not having multi hand position you tend to develop the habit of just not moving the hands around at all. I typically use the rear position most, and I like to wedge my thumb in front of the crook. Sometimes I'll use one hand on the back pos and other hand up front. I rarely if ever use both aero position at same time. I ususlly use the fronts when the ride is done and I am tired and I lay on the bars.

I don't think the fronts add any sig wight. Maybe you are talking about 20 gm? For that weight I'd say the occasional use is well worth having them. Also they kind of keep the bars from hooking branches. Also if you mount anything in front of the brake lever like a bell or shifter you got the real estate to put it.

·
rigid bruce
179 Posts
I use the aero position on the curved extensions all the time. I use it often when riding on pavement and smoother sections of dirt. The most comfortable position that I constantly use is with my palms right on the welds and my thumb hooked between the curved extensions and the cross bar. This wouldn't work without the extensions.

I consider the extensions one of the most important advantages of H-bars. Great bars, I won't ride with anything else.

bruSS

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.