Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
OMR - Old Man Riding
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeff is advising that his next batch of H bars will be ready for shipment in a little under 4 weeks. After reading many of the board's comments, I plan on replacing my Mary bars with the H bars on my SS. My question is should I get them wrapped or leave naked?

Thanks in advance...

OMR...:cool:
SoCal

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I'm glad I got a Jeff-wrapped set.
However, when this wrap hits end of life, I'll love to experiment with wraps such as over the lever clamps and horns. Maybe nothing on the cross bar which I don't use as it's just too darn straight.

·
elbow gloves
221 Posts
I recently went naked

I just removed the grips and tape from my set and replaced it with ESI silicone grips ala Rainmans suggestion. The silicone is a bit nicer than the cork in my opinion and the cleanlieness of the whole bar is much improved.

Attachments

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
I’ve been on H-bars for about 4 years now and though I love the foam and tape it isn’t practical for my mountain biking. It tears far too easily the way I ride, crash, and toss my bike around. That being said, the wrap that Jeff does is top notch and I would recommend buying the bars with his grip and when the foam and tape are no longer repairable move to a more traditional grip. When the tips of the foam tear off you can put chair tips (get them at any hardware store) on the ends of the bars and get some more life out of the setup.

·
Registered
769 Posts
get the grips. When you hit a few trees, and stub the ends of the grips, pay attention when you unwrap them. This method Jeff uses is great, but not that hard to do. Now you will be able to use grips of your choice, and the bar tape, change colers etc.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would defiantly recommend the grips taped by Jeff. If you are careful you can slid new grips on the bar with out re-taping them. The grips do tear up easily but I think they only cost $5.00 a piece. I put on a new pair every couple months.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Get the grips/tape...

...because that is a good place to start, and Jeff does a nice job.

When that stuff wears out or gets damaged (and it will) I can recommend ESI Chucky silicone grips. Rainman hit the nail on the head with this one; they are super comfy and grippy. My only complaint is that they wear more quickly than the cork grips and tape. Fortuntly, the ESI grips are cheap and easy to replace.

Joe

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Get them Naked...

Bare Ti no wrap no grips... :thumbsup:

Expose that Ti ! !

Fit a pair of ESI Chunky silicone grips to them and you will see what I have been raving about for weeks now.

The best bars deserve the best grips... :D

R.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've a set of wrapped bars and a set with the foam grips and if you have small hands or stubby fingers you might find the cork grips a little too large. They do compress a little with use however.

·
Registered
937 Posts
kinkcrazy said:
I just removed the grips and tape from my set and replaced it with ESI silicone grips ala Rainmans suggestion. The silicone is a bit nicer than the cork in my opinion and the cleanlieness of the whole bar is much improved.
great dog! i have two, they love riding :cool: http://eddieodea.com/?p=116

so i don't totally hijack..
i love the jeff j cork/wrapped bars..they feel great.

·
A Surly Maverick
2,707 Posts
Pardon the probably `daft` question,but can use use standard shimano rapidfire shifters on these `H` bars easily, or is placement an issue.

Cheers, Dr FG.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Nekid

I got mine taped by Jeff. Nothing bad to report other than the foam grips do wear thin fast (at least they did for me.

I have since retaped them several times with no grips. I simply use the Cinelli cork tape like he uses, and double (triple in some areas) tape them. I think my taping looks as clean (but I have taped a few bars in my day). I also feel that triple wrapped tape is both more comfortable and more durable than the foam grips.

If you are dropping the coin on JJ bars, you probably ought to get the full experience of his tape job...but you can always tweak it to your taste.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.