Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the GXP Team BB because it is inexpensive and I'm on my third one after about 2,500 miles. I haven't had one go out completely, but during cleaning and maintenance, the drive side bearings get a little rough. I guess you get what you pay for, but it has me wondering if it is really worth spending 4 times the money to step up to the next level.
I haven't found anything in between the $35 GXP Team BB and the $170 ceramic BB. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for a better BB, but not sure I want to spend that much.

I am riding SS now, so I'm sure the lifespan will be cut even shorter.

Could I get some feedback from anyone who has used both? Is there a noticeable difference in performance and/or longevity? Am I missing something in my search - is there something in between these two?

·
Workin for the weekend!
1,341 Posts
I'm interested as well. From what I've seen, King is best, with a proper tool to lube as well..

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
try Real World Cycling.. I got their lowest level ceramic bearing unit and it's been on my bike for like 4-5 years I think.. actually have replaced the cranks this past fall and left the BB as it's smoother than the stock SRAM one..

they have the basic of around 50-60 I think.. then the 1st ceramic style for right around $100, then a better ball for $150 and the top of the line with better races and such for around 200.

Note that the drive side seal is better, but "floats" on the spindle so it needs to be installed correctly or it can end up pushing out and you'll end up with the same issues as the stock SRAM BB.

I wouldn't recommend the King BB's with a GXP crankset.. one, they have a rather poor adaptor to make the shimano BB work with the GXP.. also the GXP is designed to work best with straight /square contact bearings (non preload) where shimano/King uses angular contact bearings to help run with the use of pre-load style BB's.. different bearing setup for different style pressures.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Less than 1000 miles out of one of these seems unusual to me. I use them (Truvativ - right?) and they last me about 3000 miles of XC riding. And at 3K the BB still works - it just isn't real smooth anymore. It might be that you hammer harder and that wears them but have you checked that everything is plane? You use ample grease when re-installing? No wobble? Or possibly, you sometimes get the BB soaked with water either cleaning or riding?

If it isn't just normal wear then a more expensive BB might not last any longer. Which would make it real expensive.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've been using RWC's XD-15 BB. This thing is easy to maintain and is indestructible. It's a little pricey, but it may be the last bottom bracket you'll buy.

DSC_0218 (800x533).jpg DSC_0223 (800x533).jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts