Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought X0 39/26 crank set..

just asking advice on which bottom bracket to use ,have read some bad things about the standard sram one..

my lbs has Hope in stock.

any other recommendations ..??

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
hope's decent, but no real advantage for the extra $$$, been using GXP since,.. well mid/early 2000's and the best one I've used so far is RealWorldCycling.com's ceramic... had 2 diff sets of cranks on it and it's still smooth, actually smoother than new. still using it to this day.. the same one I got in.. umm 2008 or 2009 I think?

BOTTOM BRACKETS FOR GXP CRANKSETS

They have diff grades and materials depending on your wallet.. the lowest of the ceramic's is the one I got.. was like just over $100 if I remember. Has save me $ over time as I used to go through BB's 1-2 a yr.

you can also get a bearing/seal kit from them.. Take the stock cups and press out the SRAM stock bearing and use their Bearings
GXP BOTTOM BRACKET BEARINGS FROM REAL WORLD CYCLING

Personally, I'd use the stock one till it's toast.. (probably 6-months :confused:)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
hope's decent, but no real advantage for the extra $$$, been using GXP since,.. well mid/early 2000's and the best one I've used so far is RealWorldCycling.com's ceramic... had 2 diff sets of cranks on it and it's still smooth, actually smoother than new. still using it to this day.. the same one I got in.. umm 2008 or 2009 I think?

BOTTOM BRACKETS FOR GXP CRANKSETS

They have diff grades and materials depending on your wallet.. the lowest of the ceramic's is the one I got.. was like just over $100 if I remember. Has save me $ over time as I used to go through BB's 1-2 a yr.

you can also get a bearing/seal kit from them.. Take the stock cups and press out the SRAM stock bearing and use their Bearings
GXP BOTTOM BRACKET BEARINGS FROM REAL WORLD CYCLING

Personally, I'd use the stock one till it's toast.. (probably 6-months :confused:)
This ^^^ +1

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem is ,in the UK the crankset doesn't come with BB..

So your advice is just get normal sram GXP for now.

I did look at realworldcycling.com but ,with shipping customs to UK etc it works out cheaper and less hassle to get Hope from lbs..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Should make a sticky on GXP BBs. Question seems to pop up every couple of days. I think this is 3rd time in a week I'm posting the links below.

Like thomllama, if I were in the UK I'd go with Hope.

Hope Technology - Truvativ Bottom bracket - YouTube
Hope Bottom Bracket Truvativ GXP Converter | Chain Reaction Cycles
Hope MTB Stainless Steel Bottom Bracket | Chain Reaction Cycles

If you're on a budget, get the SRAM Team BB (around 30 bucks), and once it dies replace bearings in the cups with RWC's which are also around the same price.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should make a sticky on GXP BBs. Question seems to pop up every couple of days. I think this is 3rd time in a week I'm posting the links below.

Like thomllama, if I were in the UK I'd go with Hope.

Hope Technology - Truvativ Bottom bracket - YouTube
Hope Bottom Bracket Truvativ GXP Converter | Chain Reaction Cycles
Hope MTB Stainless Steel Bottom Bracket | Chain Reaction Cycles

If you're on a budget, get the SRAM Team BB (around 30 bucks), and once it dies replace bearings in the cups with RWC's which are also around the same price.
Cheers for the help..

Looks like I'm going to the Hope shop..!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts