Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all of those who have posted on Ergon grips in the past; I learned a lot from from them, so here is my $0.02!

I now have about 70 miles on my GX2 grips. I purchased them to try to resolve nagging pain on my thumb and wrist, which started to plague me a few months ago, and seemed to stem from longer rides finally catching up with me. Here's a summary of thoughts:

out of box & install: great packaging (almost makes me wonder about the margins on the product if Ergon can cover those packaging costs comfortably:)), easy to install, great directions. Only thing missing was a clear indication if my specific carbon bar would support them. A phone call and email to Easton came back positive, so away I went.

Use: Just holding the unmounted grip in my hand gave me high hopes initially. Seemed to immediately alleviate some of the pain while gripping it. First ride I screwed around with the bar end pitch and the grip position, they are independent of each other. A nice little graduated index shows you bar end to grip positioning to easily mirror it from one side to the other. Unfortunately there is no way to make sure the grip itself is positioned the same on each side, aside from feel, and eyeballing it. I quickly learned that the grip position on the bar is extremely sensitive, a small change makes a big difference in how it feels. I now have them positioned in a way that seems most comfortable and effective, but I may still need to tinker more. Great control, I only noticed a bit lacking on the technical downhills, this may be due to my mediocre brakes now exposed more.

While my original pain in the thumbs and wrist has been reduced substantially, my entire hand now feels fatigued- no defined, sharp pain, but similiar to the feeling you get when pulling on mediocre brakes forever on a loooong downhill. I know some of this is my brake setup which I plan on changing out soon, but it is noticably more fatigue than what I got prior to deploying the GX2s. For example, a 2.5 hr training ride now results in worse feelings of hand fatigue than what I felt pre-GX2 for an 8 hour solo race.

Question for Ergon and other users... Is it typical for the hands to have to get used to the new posiition over some time? A break in period of sorts? Or, are they a) still positioned incorrectly of b) maybe just not for me. I want to give them some time of course, as I really like the immediate imporvement in original discomfort. Just want to know what to expect.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I found that I had to change the position of my GP1 grips 3 times before I got it right. Everyone's position is different and I've seen some pretty crazy looking ones come through the shop.

I have also found that over padded gloves make these grips feel terrible.

Don't give up on them yet.

·
Ergon Bike
884 Posts
chairthruster said:
Question for Ergon and other users... Is it typical for the hands to have to get used to the new posiition over some time? A break in period of sorts? Or, are they a) still positioned incorrectly of b) maybe just not for me. I want to give them some time of course, as I really like the immediate imporvement in original discomfort. Just want to know what to expect.
Is there a learning curve? Yes, you could say so. You almost need to relax more. The "wing" of the grip will do a lot of the work that you hand, finger, and forearm muscles were doing.

As far as adjustment goes....don't be surprised if it takes a weeks worth of riding and adjusting to find your sweet spot. The relationship between saddle height and handlebar height will play a huge factor in the angle you find comfortable in the "wing."

Look at your gloves. Thin gloves with no padding work the best with Ergon grips.

Shoot over any other questions you might have.

Jeff
Ergon USA

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
they do take some time to get right - after a long time on GC2 grips, I thought I'd try some lighter ESI Chunky's - big mistake. Despite the weight - the comfort difference was not worth the 200+ gram weight savings. No need to mess with that contact point.

I'm moving the GC2s to my singlespeed/commuter - sticking with the Ergons for the FS, got some GX1 Leightbau's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.