Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which combo of SRAM shifter and rear d for problem free, good/best bang for the buck shifting?

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
XO1 but the cassette makes the biggest diff imo

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
XO1 but the cassette makes the biggest diff imo

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
Thanks. X01 for both? I see a trend these days with guys going one level higher for their shifter than their rear d. Maybe it’s a regional thing.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
If I had to choose between XO1 cassette with GX shifter or GX cassette with XO1 shifter, I'd go with the XO1 cassette. I didn't notice a big difference in shifter feel but the cassette does seem smoother under shifts, it last longer and it's lighter.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I had to choose between XO1 cassette with GX shifter or GX cassette with XO1 shifter, I'd go with the XO1 cassette. I didn't notice a big difference in shifter feel but the cassette does seem smoother under shifts, it last longer and it's lighter.
Thanks. I’m only talking about shifters and rear ds. Not cassettes. But interesting info nonetheless.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Would it last long enough past a GX that it’s worth the price difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
627 Posts
OP I’d say gx derailleur with x01 shifter. Derailleur is something way more likely to get broken. I’m personally running NX shifter/derailleur and I can’t tell much of a difference between my bike and my friend’s with GX group set

·
Registered
214 Posts
I use GX shifters on all of my sram bikes. Some were upgraded from NX and some came with the bikes. The shifter upgrade from NX to GX is worthwhile but I've heard that there's not much to be gained after that point when comparing price verses gains. I recently swapped the rear derailleur on one of my new bikes from GX to X01 for kicks and I noticed that shifting felt a little crisper and more exact but I'm still not completely sure that it was actually worth the extra expense although it does physically look a bit better. Most of my bikes do have X01 cassettes though.

·
Registered
14,543 Posts
I haven't worn it out yet but some say it last twice as long (same thing with the XO1/XX1 chains).

I'd say more like 3-4 times as long. Some pretty solid tests seem to confirm that.

Overall I think XO1/XX1 is in a total different league than GX or lower. Just so much nicer in every way.

·
Registered
523 Posts
XO Cassette is EXPENSIVE. And will wear out. But it's an easy way to save serious grams. GX Derailleur is fine. XO1 shifter is great.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I'd say more like 3-4 times as long. Some pretty solid tests seem to confirm that.

Overall I think XO1/XX1 is in a total different league than GX or lower. Just so much nicer in every way.
Yeah, I'd rather pay more up front to have a lighter better shifting drivetrain that in the long run probably doesn't cost anymore. It would be interesting to see the cost analysis from owning XO1 vs GX or NX over a few years.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
You are also forgetting about the NX shifter. No 11 speed is garbage but NX 12 speed shifter has good internals and is the lightest.

I like my NX Shifter/ x01 derailleur combo with E13 cassette. AND XX1 chain, which is another league from other chains.

I personally have no issues with e13 cassettes. They do have less life than my XX1 cassettes (3k miles) They are lighter. And shift crisply. My XX1 cassettes run over 5k miles easily.

The biggest benefit from the speedy shifters is the fact that they have adjustable downshift levers. This is important for many to get the lever in the right spot for your hand size and knees. If you run your brakes pointed way down, you may prefer adjustability of this lever. If you like the factory angle, I would buy the NX over the GX shifter.

Ive used lots of GX derailleurs, but they seem a little more disposable, I wouldn’t touch the stamped NX mech in my terrain. I do prefer the carbon cage of the X01 and some of the more tightly machined features of the derailleur which keep shifting tighter. The hanger mount is an eventual source of flex and frustration on some of the lower end Mechs.

Ive never been a princess and the pee guy regarding lever “feel”. I have strong hands and am banging gears while racing, and don’t notice any benefit in smoothness or feel. I just need it to not break. On my wife’s bike and others with weaker thumbs, I would be more picky about the lightest trigger feel.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Thanks. X01 for both? I see a trend these days with guys going one level higher for their shifter than their rear d. Maybe it’s a regional thing.
People have made this recommendation since the beginning of time. It stems from the way Shimano builds their stuff.

With sram, they work the same, it comes down to internal tolerances and and whether they use a sloppy bushing, a tight bushing, or a bearing inside. You get lever adjustability with the top two levers.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Would it last long enough past a GX that it’s worth the price difference?

Gx cassettes are garbage compared to x01. I went through 7 gx cassettes before finally trying an X01 which ended up lasting 5 times longer for me. The stamped steel cogs just don’t even compare at all to the strength of the CNCd monoblock design.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,311 Posts
People have made this recommendation since the beginning of time. It stems from the way Shimano builds their stuff.

With sram, they work the same, it comes down to internal tolerances and and whether they use a sloppy bushing, a tight bushing, or a bearing inside. You get lever adjustability with the top two levers.

yea, and these things are worth it (to me), since it's what you actually touch. I have an X01 shifter and derailleur on one bike, and GX on another. I can't tell a difference in the derailleurs in use, but I can with the shifter.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Gx cassettes are garbage compared to x01. I went through 7 gx cassettes before finally trying an X01 which ended up lasting 5 times longer for me. The stamped steel cogs just don’t even compare at all to the strength of the CNCd monoblock design.

That’s good to know. Sounds like it’s worth it to pay extra up front for the x01 cassette since it’ll outlast 2 gx cassettes

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yeah, I'd rather pay more up front to have a lighter better shifting drivetrain that in the long run probably doesn't cost anymore. It would be interesting to see the cost analysis from owning XO1 vs GX or NX over a few years.
I would love to see a mileage comparison or something for the different cassettes and chains

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
I didn't see it mentioned, yet, but one benefit of the X01 shifter is the adjustable downshift paddle, which is nice to fine tune the ergonomics of grip/brake/shifter positions.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts