Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant get my derailleur shifting like it should, it doesnt shift very well up and down the cassette. Derailleur hanger is straight, i recently changed gear cable and housing, b gap is perfect, derailleur is about 3000km old. Could this be a minor bent cage?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
A bent derailleur could cause problems, it should be noticable when looking at it from behind. How old are the rest of the drivetrain components? Worn parts can slow things down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chain, chainring and casette are also recently replaced

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
Assuming the hanger is perfectly straight and the b-gap is set correctly the problem can only be one of a few things. A defective shift lever (extremely unlikely) defective derailleur (also very, very unlikely), defective cassette, bent derailleur, cable restriction, or faulty adjustments.

If it were me I'd first examine the derailleur for any visual damage. Then I'd re-check the hanger alignment and general adjustments. If that doesn't improve things any I'd replace the cable and housing whether it was recently replaced or not. If that doesn't work then guess a new derailleur would be the next step, but if it doesn't look damaged I really doubt you'll get that far before the problem is solved.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will look into it, thanks for the advice

Picture of derailleur

·
Registered
179 Posts
You set b gap using the red SRAM tool?
Set the bottom limit with no cable tension and then indexed and set upper limit from there?

If f you do those things in that order it's tough to go too far wrong in my experience...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could it be worn pulleybearings ? There is quite a lot of play in both pulleys.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I am actually having the same issue with my Eagle XX1 for over a year. I’ve since replaced chain, chain ring and cranks, derailleur and hanger, cables and housing. The only things remaining are the cassette and shifter. I’ve had the bike into several bike shops and still shifting has issues. I’ve had the shops, and verified myself, that the b gap and limit screws are set properly. They are all spot on yet still have shifting issues.

It wasn’t until I rode a friend’s Eagle drivetrain that I realized how much better their shifting felt and preformed. I’m now convinced it’s my shifter that is faulty, bent/broken, likely a result of plenty of front tire washouts crashing on it. I’m waiting for AXS to be sold separately as a shifter/controller and derailleur for an upgrade and hopefully fix my shifting issues.

·
Registered
505 Posts
That's annoying. I had a RM Instinct that shifted perfectly with the GX. Then I needed to have the bike replaced, and the new one does not shift that well. In my case, it almost always refuses to go from the 6th to the 5th smaller cog. Then by shifting again, goes to the 4th. I think this is friction issue, but am having trouble finding a better routing.

·
Registered
902 Posts
it almost always refuses to go from the 6th to the 5th smaller cog. Then by shifting again, goes to the 4th.
I had this too on a 11spd drivetrain.
My issue was a too short chain.
I added 2 links and adjusted the B-screw again and the problem was gone.
Same on my GX Eagle. Had problems, added 2 extra links and adjusted the B-Screw.
Shifts way better.

Note: By 2 links I mean one. You can't actually add 1 link, because of the chain lock

·
Registered
569 Posts
Did you ever resolve your shifting issue? This sounds exactly like the problem I'm having with my XO1 shifting. I'm thinking chain as well. I just increased a few teeth on my chain ring and left the chain the stock length. Perhaps it may be a tad short

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
SRAM 12 speed is sensitive. There are regular threads about shifting issues - it's like Groundhog Day.

There are several things that can cause issues (e.g. hanger alignment, chain length, setting b-screw sagged, setting limit screws) that I'd recommend starting at the start of SRAM's install instructions, after installing a new cable and housing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is still not perfect, it still have a few noisy gears, I will probably save up for axs

·
In Transit
1,097 Posts
Did you ever resolve your shifting issue? This sounds exactly like the problem I'm having with my XO1 shifting. I'm thinking chain as well. I just increased a few teeth on my chain ring and left the chain the stock length. Perhaps it may be a tad short
Did you check the length buy wrapping the chain around the chainring and largest cog (bypassing derailleur)? The chain should overlap by one link.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think most of the GX eagle cassettes out there are bad. There are 2 teeth on the 4th hardest gear that try to pickup the chain when it's on the 5th hardest gear. It causes that repeated ticking sound, that when you try to tune that out it will not longer shift in the 50t and 42t. You can fix this by slightly bending those 2 teeth or having sram warranty the cassette.

I wish they would just admit this is an issue. Instead of saying oh I'm not sure what's wrong.

I also can not believe there was never and official recall on db and guide brakes when all the levers were seizing up in the heat.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I had this too on a 11spd drivetrain.
My issue was a too short chain.
I added 2 links and adjusted the B-screw again and the problem was gone.
Same on my GX Eagle. Had problems, added 2 extra links and adjusted the B-Screw.
Shifts way better.

Note: By 2 links I mean one. You can't actually add 1 link, because of the chain lock
Spot on. I had replaced the chain and cut the new one 2 links longer. Shifting is perfect. Now using a X01 chain where I had before a NX. Still I think the longer chain is what solved the problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts