Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of GX Eagle cranks that absolutely will not come loose. I've broken an allen socket and twisted a normal allen wrench trying to loosen the 8mm crank arm bolt. What in the world is going on with these cranks? I have a RF Turbine on my other bike that comes apart the exact same way and I have no issues with that one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I snapped my 8mm allen socket using a breaker bar and actually twisted an 8mm allen wrench using a pipe for leverage. Seems like I'm going to need a strong impact gun. Why the hell are they this tight?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I've had similar experiences getting my SRAM cranks off. First time I had to use a pneumatic rattle gun to get the 8mm loose. When I reassembled it I made damn sure I applied plenty of anti seize to avoid the same situation but it didn't make any difference, had to rattle gun it off. This may be the jesus bolt of mtb's.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Not that it's any help at this point, but they gotta be installed with adequate grease on the bolt threads and the splines, otherwise life may get difficult when it comes time to remove them. I like to get some lube between the head of the bolt and the inner surface of the extractor plug where it presses against when removing the arm.

A high quality close fitting allen wrench might do the trick. Try to apply only torque and minimize any force trying to lever the allen wrench out of the bolt socket. It might take two people. If the head of the bolt isn't stripped (yet), you might try an impact wrench.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it off. Higher quality allen socket with a huge breaker bar is all it needed I guess.

Definitely seems like a design flaw. I have a set of RF turbine's that come off the same way and they are nowhere close to this difficult to remove.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Definitely seems like a design flaw.
So you're saying the concept of the screw thread is flawed? :arf:
Because it's just a bolt. If you over torque something and/or not use grease of course it's not gonna come off easily. People like to over torque stuff, and they especially like to go overboard where a bit more torque is required, like a cassette or pedals or a crankset like this etc.
I've dealt with plenty of pedals that felt like they were tightened by someone sitting on the end of a 10ft cheater bar, and when the pedals finally came off of course the threads were bone dry. That doesn't mean the design is flawed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.