Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Motobecane w/NX eagle components. I swapped out the NX for GX. When wheel is free spinning, it clicks, similar to a deck card hitting the spokes. When peddling forward, no noise. When you stop peddling and keep rolling, click, click, click. Is this a normal noise? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Nice one.

A neat party trick is to pedal the cranks backwards..... audience will be in awe and amazement at the enhanced noise level.

Sorry, just giving you a hard time.

Most all bikes will click when moving forward freewheeling. Exceptions are a fixie and hubs that are designed to be virutally silent.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I may recommend having a bike shop take a listen.

It's very difficult to diagnose a sound problem over the internet. I wasn't too sure how serious the thread was as all bikes make a noise. Now you're saying that you've never heard a similar sound, perhaps there is something going on that should be listen to and/or addressed.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
You're kidding, right?

All hubs with ratchet mechanisms make a clicking sound when coasting. It's the sound of the pawls or teeth in the freehub that drive the hub forward skipping over the corresponding teeth in the hub body. When pedaling the teeth interlock to turn the wheel. Since they are turning together they are silent. Some hubs are louder than others when coasting.

Is this the sound your talking about? Curious, what kind of hubs did you have before?

Assyrian?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.