Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Any tips on positioning the shifter? I hate it after one ride. Will try to find a better position/technique.
Rotate it down/forward. You don't need to put it in the "normal spot" since you don't need to account for lever throw. Just a flick of the thumb.

Option 2: buy the $20 alternate paddle upgrade. Well worth it. Plus it gives you a little nudge to flick with your pointer finger to execute shifts as well.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Normally, from muscle memory I suppose, I use my thumb up high/towards me to shift into an easier gear. And use my thumb low/away to shift to a harder gear.
I have the upgrade paddle installed, but upper AXS switch makes it go to a harder gear, which is backward from normal for me.
May try to see if I can change this in the ap.
Anyone got pics of handle bar setup?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Ok, went into the ap and swapped switch directions. Also moved the clamp to the inboard hole.
Gonna go for a ride and see how it feels.
I have multiple bikes and would like to keep the shifter ergo the same, dont want to "get used" to a bike every time I ride.
That may be the downfall of AXS for me.....all bikes or none! :)

·
Registered
15,984 Posts
With the standard shifter if you think of the small paddle beneath the bar as a finger trigger then it helps train the motion. Now I just give it a slight bump with my index finger to upshift. Roll wrist backward to downshift, roll forward to upshift. If anyone has used Grip Shift in the past then it’s the same motion.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ok, went into the ap and swapped switch directions. Also moved the clamp to the inboard hole.
Gonna go for a ride and see how it feels.
I have multiple bikes and would like to keep the shifter ergo the same, dont want to "get used" to a bike every time I ride.
That may be the downfall of AXS for me.....all bikes or none! :)
With the upgraded paddle I did like you and switched the directions in the app. The thing that made a bigger difference for me was buying a left hand matchmaker mount. It will move the shifter over the right amount to make
It feel like the same position as the cable shifter. Stock the upgraded paddle moves it way too far to the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
448 Posts
It took a few times repositioning the controller, but I got it where I like it. Still waiting on my Magura MM clamp and upgraded paddle to come in.

I've had GX AXS setup for ~2wks now. It's been awesome. Super easier setup and hasn't missed a shift yet. Shifting under load is pretty damn good too.

If anyone gets this and sets it up alone....for the B Tension, since it's supposed to be set under sag...just setup the B tension as they describe, then back it off 1/2 to 1 full rotation. I did 1/2 a rotation and then had my brother check it for me 2 days later while I sat on it, the B tension was set perfect.

Reactions: scottay

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Setting up the B screw isn’t too hard by myself. I just took the air out of my shock and used a ratchet strap to move the rear swing arm up to sag the suspension In the stand. Then just take the strap off and pump the shock back up.

·
always licking the glass
2,633 Posts
Okay, MTV Real World confessional time -- my thumb got tendinitis from shifting so much last year. As the cable got more sticky my thumb got worse. I didn't want to tell anyone because I felt old and wimpy.

Where the hell did I put my Geritol?
I subscribed to this thread for exactly that reason. Broke my right wrist in 3 places back in 2007. That includes the scaphoid, which impacts moving your thumb. I don’t have complete range of motion in the wrist and my thumb gets sore after long rides.

I really hate the idea of electronic shifting but I definitely see it in my future because I don’t want arthritis (or make what I have worse).

101 - 114 of 114 Posts