Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ive ridden and raced with people with problems while their bike went haywire.

Ive gotten calls from people stuck with dead batteries in remote areas.

I really don’t have much space to deal with charging yet another set of batteries. I am already sharing a charging area for two Garmins, headlights, tail lights. Not really in to adding another charging device. When I travel, it’s all this and the batteries for the camera as well. I basically have a bag dedicated to chargers!

I don’t know what fiddling with cables means. I upkeep a lot of bikes and rarely have to touch cables. Running new cable and indexing is about one of the most relaxing and easy jobs I ever do on a bike.

Having hand circulation issues is the only true validation I have seen. Everything else is an inconvenience and makes the bike heavier. A LOT heavier in the XC racing world.

If the battery lasted 100 hours, I’d probably be more interested. If I ran an AXS dropper I would be even more interested because then you have a backup battery on the bike. Between the AXS dropper and AXS seatpost you are adding almost an extra pound of weight, for what benefit? All this said I am sure I’ll have AXS on 1 or all bikes at some point in the next 3 years...

Does anyone ever worry how unbelievably easy it would be to steal an AXS dropper from a gas station or restaurant parking lot. I’m surprised this isn’t more of a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been racing the XX1 AXS for XC since January in the PNW, and was running it about 6 months before that. It took me 2 months to run out of juice on the mech and need to charge the battery (I was seeing how long I could push it). I just swapped it with the Reverb's battery and kept pedaling. After a really wet winter racing season it's remained flawless and shifts perfectly every time. Muck and mud? Perfect shift. Ice and snow? Perfect shift. Cold weather performance was one of the reasons I bought in - sometimes I can barely operate a shifter or dropper mech by the end of the colder races. The data I can look at post training ride or race seeing how much time or distance in each gear, and the power output in each gear helps me determine what front ring set up I should use for a given course and analyze my shifting efficiency. The data alone puts me at a huge advantage over someone still using cables when it comes to racing XC. Well worth any perceived disadvantage of a few grams (though at the XO and XX level the AXS is lighter than their cabled counterparts).

Do you ever wonder how unbelievably easy it would be to steal a set of pedals from a gas station or restaurant parking lot? Neither do I.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I've been racing the XX1 AXS for XC since January in the PNW, and was running it about 6 months before that. It took me 2 months to run out of juice on the mech and need to charge the battery (I was seeing how long I could push it). I just swapped it with the Reverb's battery and kept pedaling. After a really wet winter racing season it's remained flawless and shifts perfectly every time. Muck and mud? Perfect shift. Ice and snow? Perfect shift. Cold weather performance was one of the reasons I bought in - sometimes I can barely operate a shifter or dropper mech by the end of the colder races. The data I can look at post training ride or race seeing how much time or distance in each gear, and the power output in each gear helps me determine what front ring set up I should use for a given course and analyze my shifting efficiency. The data alone puts me at a huge advantage over someone still using cables when it comes to racing XC. Well worth any perceived disadvantage of a few grams (though at the XO and XX level the AXS is lighter than their cabled counterparts).

Do you ever wonder how unbelievably easy it would be to steal a set of pedals from a gas station or restaurant parking lot? Neither do I.
How cold did you ride? Like real snow winter?
My bike computer doesn't work in winter, but that doesn't prevent me from riding.

·
Registered
399 Posts
How cold did you ride? Like real snow winter?
My bike computer doesn't work in winter, but that doesn't prevent me from riding.
Sarcasm:
Manufactured foam snow held at 40 degrees. We were lucky to get one of the last shipments sent out before the market exploded due to COVID.

Reality:
Personally, I've raced in the upper 30 degree marks. I've ridden in the upper 20's with AXS. Ted King rides his bike in far lower with a full AXS set up - as great as he is he doesn't have SRAM support truck parked in his driveway. My Garmin has worked just dandy into the teens. I don't think I've ridden anything lower than that.

Summation:
It's harder than you. The real burden of ownership is the dollar bills.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,408 Posts
People ride here in the winter with axs, Anchorage AK, down to -20 or so. Garmins and other stuff dies pretty fast.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Okay, MTV Real World confessional time -- my thumb got tendinitis from shifting so much last year. As the cable got more sticky my thumb got worse. I didn't want to tell anyone because I felt old and wimpy.

Where the hell did I put my Geritol?
We all age
if electric shifting or eBike helps keep you on a bike
i am all for it

at 70; I certainly realize the advantages of these new cycling technologies

·
Registered
16,011 Posts
We all age
if electric shifting or eBike helps keep you on a bike
i am all for it

at 70; I certainly realize the advantages of these new cycling technologies
Just to be clear, I bought AXS for the performance, not as a response to any physical ailments or age related difficulties.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Sarcasm:
Manufactured foam snow held at 40 degrees. We were lucky to get one of the last shipments sent out before the market exploded due to COVID.

Reality:
Personally, I've raced in the upper 30 degree marks. I've ridden in the upper 20's with AXS. Ted King rides his bike in far lower with a full AXS set up - as great as he is he doesn't have SRAM support truck parked in his driveway. My Garmin has worked just dandy into the teens. I don't think I've ridden anything lower than that.

Summation:
It's harder than you. The real burden of ownership is the dollar bills.
You said you rode in the cold, and then you said in upper 20s. Which is it? Cold starts below 0F :)

(I realize most MTB riding is above freezing temps.... so this is not relevant to 99%)

People ride here in the winter with axs, Anchorage AK, down to -20 or so. Garmins and other stuff dies pretty fast.
Thanks. -20 is pretty good for consumer electronics battery. So they selected the battery technology well (for the price one would expect that)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Ive ridden and raced with people with problems while their bike went haywire.
Their bikes "went haywire"....like as in AI in the derailleur/controller took over and started shifting for them? I don't understand what you mean by this?

Ive gotten calls from people stuck with dead batteries in remote areas.
They should've kept their batteries topped off or carried a spare. IDK, seems logical if you're going to a remote area.

I really don’t have much space to deal with charging yet another set of batteries. I am already sharing a charging area for two Garmins, headlights, tail lights. Not really in to adding another charging device. When I travel, it’s all this and the batteries for the camera as well. I basically have a bag dedicated to chargers!
This I get. Everything these days has it's own charger. I use an old Arai helmet bag as my bag for lights/chargers and I'm starting to run out of room. lol

I don’t know what fiddling with cables means. I upkeep a lot of bikes and rarely have to touch cables. Running new cable and indexing is about one of the most relaxing and easy jobs I ever do on a bike.
As in never having to worry about cables, ever again. Period. Plus it makes the bike that much cleaner looking, which I like. Subjective, obviously.

Having hand circulation issues is the only true validation I have seen. Everything else is an inconvenience and makes the bike heavier. A LOT heavier in the XC racing world.
Meh, I'm not a weight weenie or XC racer so IDGAF about weight. YMMV.

If the battery lasted 100 hours, I’d probably be more interested. If I ran an AXS dropper I would be even more interested because then you have a backup battery on the bike. Between the AXS dropper and AXS seatpost you are adding almost an extra pound of weight, for what benefit? All this said I am sure I’ll have AXS on 1 or all bikes at some point in the next 3 years...
This is the way.

Does anyone ever worry how unbelievably easy it would be to steal an AXS dropper from a gas station or restaurant parking lot. I’m surprised this isn’t more of a thing.
No, not really. I don't think the overwhelming majority of thieves know **** about MTB parts and would rather steal the whole bike. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Their bikes "went haywire"....like as in AI in the derailleur/controller took over and started shifting for them? I don't understand what you mean by this?

They should've kept their batteries topped off or carried a spare. IDK, seems logical if you're going to a remote area.

This I get. Everything these days has it's own charger. I use an old Arai helmet bag as my bag for lights/chargers and I'm starting to run out of room. lol

As in never having to worry about cables, ever again. Period. Plus it makes the bike that much cleaner looking, which I like. Subjective, obviously.

Meh, I'm not a weight weenie or XC racer so IDGAF about weight. YMMV.

This is the way.

No, not really. I don't think the overwhelming majority of thieves know **** about MTB parts and would rather steal the whole bike.
Yes, their bikes went haywire in that manner in the peloton. It cost them the race.

Surprisingly their coin battery died unbeknownst to them. (I would have to start carrying a coin battery in my coin purse). I’m sorry for confusion, It wasn’t a remote area, but it was a looong way from home. Some of seem to ride much further than others in this thread. Especially those who claim their Battery is lasting them 2 months.

I have never in my life “worried about cables.” I have no idea what you are talking about. And aesthetically one of our bikes has highend Jagwire cable that goes with the color way and gets tons of complements. All my bikes are internal cables anyway.

I would always worry batteries dying and electronic failure, as I have experienced this on most swanky devices I have owned at some point in their life. I race ALOT, sometimes Invest a thousand dollars to go race for a few hours on some cool trail with a bunch of strangers. Mechanicals are basically throwing away those dollars. I have had one race where my shifter failed with 30 miles to go in the Oz Trails off-road. I’m not looking to repeat that by introducing more points of failure (even if it’s where I can fail)

If you are inclined to carry a spare battery, did you not just carry a spare cable since it kept you up at night? In my days of carrying packs I always had a spare cable. I roll with no pack these days and have my system pretty dialed. I don’t really have the real estate for two batteries in my jersey.

I’m more inclined to carry a spare mech hanger, as my riding partner for life likes to destroy hers in epic fashion. I also carry a spare TI seatpost bolt because that is much more likely to disappear than a cable snapping. If your cable is at risk, it’s likely you’ve ignore an issue that was there for a long long time.

·
chasing simplicity
1,308 Posts
I built a stealth charging wall just to solve this problem. Everything mounted with 3M control strips so I can remove and throw in a travel bag if necessary. Wires hidden behind the board. Basic desk organizers mounted with zip ties.

AXS charger below the 6-port USB charger. :)

·
Registered
16,011 Posts
I built a stealth charging wall just to solve this problem. Everything mounted with 3M control strips so I can remove and throw in a travel bag if necessary. Wires hidden behind the board. Basic desk organizers mounted with zip ties.

Well done

Edit: The irony of your tag line, "chasing simplicity" juxtaposed with this photo is awesome.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

I love this and would have it in a house.

I live in a high rise and all usable plugs place our chargeable items on the Bar/kitchen counter. Our new kitchen update will have USB 5v outlets at least. We keep all wires in a kitchen cupboard

Right now I have to charge
Micro usb -
Camera batteries
4 lights
Camera batteries
Usb C
Tail light
Proprietary -
Two garmin fenix (luckily these last a week and don’t have to be charged simultaneously.

Phone and Headphone get charged at bedside thank goodness.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Probably not something that I will do any time soon cause I am too cheap especially on drivetrains. I'd rather spend a little on a Microshift drivetrain and spend the extra on other things.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ocnLogan

·
Registered
5,904 Posts

That's a super clean setup.:love:

Here's the "charging station" in my garage,

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
457 Posts
I simply “hide” the cables I’m not currently using in a drawer...

BAM!

Now it looks cleaner!

It is far better to look organized than to be be actually organized.

haha

·
Registered
994 Posts
Any tips on positioning the shifter? I hate it after one ride. Will try to find a better position/technique.

81 - 100 of 114 Posts