Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I recently bought the XO1 AXS and man is it awesome. It’s the new benchmark. It’s true about the ease of setup too. I bolted it up, paired the shifter with the derailleur, ran through the gears and it was spot on. “That’s it???” Didn’t need any sort of fine tuning whatsoever. Shifts are quick and crisp without any delay. Amazing.
I love hearing this
Probably did not order enough GX AXS bikes

I think electric shifting in time will become the norm on high end bikes
and at the same time I would love to see steel frames become more popular
I would like the perfect mix of old school and modern - 853 bike with AXS group

·
Registered
310 Posts
It may greatly depend on where you ride most of your rides. For me, I am shifting CONSTANTLY, and many mishifts mean many times I loose my drive, or even my intended line. By comparison, whenever I ride moab, or souther california, I don't shift nearly as much. For me, shifting in indeed a major part of my ride...gearing and shifting are, for me, equally crucial as good suspension actuation. To each his own I guess.
This. I'm not putting it in my easiest gear and riding up a hill for an hour. My shifter and dropper post lever get used constantly. Quick up, quick down, rock garden, 10 minute climb, few minute descent with a couple of sharp uphills in the middle. Repeat.

·
Registered
15,990 Posts
I love hearing this
Probably did not order enough GX AXS bikes

I think electric shifting in time will become the norm on high end bikes
and at the same time I would love to see steel frames become more popular
I would like the perfect mix of old school and modern - 853 bike with AXS group
I’m down for more electronic shifting. I have two steel bikes, one of which is a single speed, and neither gets ridden. Not sure why I even have them any more.

·
Registered
926 Posts
This. I'm not putting it in my easiest gear and riding up a hill for an hour. My shifter and dropper post lever get used constantly. Quick up, quick down, rock garden, 10 minute climb, few minute descent with a couple of sharp uphills in the middle. Repeat.
My riding is the same, but my Shimano stuff shifts fine now, no issues ever. For me the money to upgrade to AXS would be much better spent on better suspension, better wheels, different tires to match the terrain. I don't find myself needing or wanting more out of my shifting. I see little benefit especially at the high cost.

But it is a neat invention, and those that bought the original AXS stuff helped finance SRAM building the lower cost GX stuff and those that buy this will help bring the price down even further.

·
Registered
15,990 Posts
My riding is the same, but my Shimano stuff shifts fine now, no issues ever. For me the money to upgrade to AXS would be much better spent on better suspension, better wheels, different tires to match the terrain. I don't find myself needing or wanting more out of my shifting. I see little benefit especially at the high cost.

But it is a neat invention, and those that bought the original AXS stuff helped finance SRAM building the lower cost GX stuff and those that buy this will help bring the price down even further.
Give it a try. Until then, you don’t know what you don’t know.

·
battle stag commander
222 Posts
All I have to say about GX AXS is...Shimano, step lively. The bar is high.

And just a quick note to those that bring up concerns about being stranded with an unfixable robot drivetrain. Fair enough. But also, how many spare derraileur cables and housing have you ever brought with you on a ride? As for battery, a spare is actually an easy thing to bring with you. One charger in the house, one in the car, usually a good chance you can start every ride with at least 1.5 batteries, even with poor forsight and planning.

Another neat thing that I have my eye on is dynamo charging capability, probably not for mountain, but why not. I guess you lose a few watts to the hub, and the front wheel gets heavier, but dynamos generally are cool for lots of reasons, even for mtb, AXS battery charging being just one of many reasons to look into this.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I've tried electronic shifting on road bikes and it was also kind of mediocre to me but I wouldn't mind having it. Major advantage is never changing cables again and electronic won't have the issues of degrading shift quality from cable wear.

AXS is extra nice since it's wireless. That simplicity and removing the need for a cable (or two) is awesome.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,640 Posts
Since you can intermix 12 speed, I'd assume wireless isn't any different

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
435 Posts
Since you can intermix 12 speed, I'd assume wireless isn't any different
People are mixing shimano 12 speed with AXS.

Use Shimano cassette, chain and chainring for hyperglide+ and AXS derailleur and shifter for wireless.

If Shimano doesn’t release wireless soon, or if I’m not impressed with what they release, that’s the system that I’ll be running.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I wonder if we'll see people stealing wireless mechs? Fast easy snatch with a quick payoff on ebay might entice the scum out there. Once non bike people thieves realize how much these things go for, I won't be surprised if it becomes an issue.

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
435 Posts
I wonder if we'll see people stealing wireless mechs? Fast easy snatch with a quick payoff on ebay might entice the scum out there. Once non bike people thieves realize how much these things go for, I won't be surprised if it becomes an issue.
They should come up with some kind of cable to attach it to the bike.

Yeah, that could fix it!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
It would be just as easy on a mechanical derailleur. It only takes a few seconds to unscrew the cable and could probably chop the chain with bolt cutters. Just chop the cable too for that matter. I'm sure there's an easy way to secure it to the frame though.

The price would be some major motivation for thieves.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
They should come up with some kind of cable to attach it to the bike.

Yeah, that could fix it!
Right! I'm not saying theft could be an issue because wireless is slightly easier to steal than mechanical mechs. I'm just pointing out the high value and how easy they would be to steal. Bike theft has ramped up so much. Hope we dont' see this but I won't be surprised if we do. Thieves are brazen these days.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
It would be just as easy on a mechanical derailleur. It only takes a few seconds to unscrew the cable and could probably chop the chain with bolt cutters. Just chop the cable too for that matter. I'm sure there's an easy way to secure it to the frame though.

The price would be some major motivation for thieves.
Yeah it's all about the value not ease of theft.

Also wireless droppers. A thief could jack an axs mech and dropper real fast and get as much as some older complete bikes with easy shipping and fast turnover. We'll see? We've never hung such valuable bits off our bikes before. Sucks to think about but it's something I wouldn't underestimate.

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
435 Posts
Maybe some kind of security bolt to attach the derailleur and seat clamp would help make sure that they are not too easy to steal.

Honestly, it would be good if you could give Sram your serial number of the stolen parts and if they get connected to the app again, they can brick the stolen parts.

·
No known cure
4,250 Posts
I recently watched a documentary about a roadie that went on a doping regime. He was in the middle of a race pre doping and his derailluer lost juice mid race.

41 - 60 of 114 Posts