Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
I speak from the position of being totally opposed to adding MORE electronic aspects to my bike : I was 100% against going to AXS. But the day came when my then current rear mech was damaged beyond repair, and I could not get a hold of a replacement without waiting, but they had an AXS X01 mech in stock, and I had a gift certificate still needing to be used. So I got one and put it on my Wreckoning. All I can say is : 150% pleased I did. It is exceedingly precise, NEVER a mis-shift, NEVER a problem even on muddy days, and it is built like a TANK. It is FAR FAR beefier than my former XO1 mechanical derailer. Shifting with the thumb lever is sweet. One less cable is also exceedingly nice. I think that full suspension bikes with mid to long travel will benefit much, because you will never again have a mis-shift due to rear suspension movement. It is very fast as well, allowing you to instantly grab as many gears up or down as you might want...no hesitation. Not having the extra cable is really very very nice, and I will very soon get the AXS dropper so that I can eliminate yet a SECOND cable...leaving only my two steel braided brake lines...which will be super clean and very nice. I would say that IF you truly LOVE to mountain bike, and IF mountain biking happens to be your one--true--joy, then GET on board and see for yourself. If, however, you're only somewhat passionate about MTB, and IF you don't really ride much more than one or 2 rides per week, then maybe you won't truly appreciate the money spent. But as for the benefits of AXS : it is perhaps 'thee' best decision I have made in MTB since buying my Evil Wreckoning...which, for me, is 'thee' greatest MTB pleasure I have ever indulged in.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Seriously considering the upgrade. It's still not cheap, but getting into the more reasonable range from the crazy perspective of MTBing. Really like that they built in crash survivability via disengagement. While it's admittedly rare that I change cables and/or housings, I like the idea of not having to deal with the internally routed stuff we've all been forced into. Besides all of that, regular 12-speed GX is fairly finicky. B-screw needs to be just right, cable adjuster seems to need a quarter turn every few weeks. Not a big deal, but not the set and forget of the old 10-speed Shimano stuff. Hoping the e version helps with that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got X01 AXS on two of my bikes and I absolutely love it. It seems bullet proof and very well thought out. The precision and speed of the shifts is awesome. So many small benefits nobody mentions enough

Silent operation, no effort to shift, you always know what gear you're in, less arm pump, I can break hard and down shift without effort!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I speak from the position of being totally opposed to adding MORE electronic aspects to my bike : I was 100% against going to AXS. But the day came when my then current rear mech was damaged beyond repair, and I could not get a hold of a replacement without waiting, but they had an AXS X01 mech in stock, and I had a gift certificate still needing to be used. So I got one and put it on my Wreckoning. All I can say is : 150% pleased I did. It is exceedingly precise, NEVER a mis-shift, NEVER a problem even on muddy days, and it is built like a TANK. It is FAR FAR beefier than my former XO1 mechanical derailer. Shifting with the thumb lever is sweet. One less cable is also exceedingly nice. I think that full suspension bikes with mid to long travel will benefit much, because you will never again have a mis-shift due to rear suspension movement. It is very fast as well, allowing you to instantly grab as many gears up or down as you might want...no hesitation. Not having the extra cable is really very very nice, and I will very soon get the AXS dropper so that I can eliminate yet a SECOND cable...leaving only my two steel braided brake lines...which will be super clean and very nice. I would say that IF you truly LOVE to mountain bike, and IF mountain biking happens to be your one--true--joy, then GET on board and see for yourself. If, however, you're only somewhat passionate about MTB, and IF you don't really ride much more than one or 2 rides per week, then maybe you won't truly appreciate the money spent. But as for the benefits of AXS : it is perhaps 'thee' best decision I have made in MTB since buying my Evil Wreckoning...which, for me, is 'thee' greatest MTB pleasure I have ever indulged in.
The axs reverb is the fastes dropper I have ever used.
I only bought it, because the inner cable routing on my fs has a very tight curve around the bb which makes any normal dropper lever very firm.

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,862 Posts
I would be tempted on my XC bike. But a friend of mine just bought a new bike that had XX1 AXS and he swapped it out with his XX1 mechanical due to not liking the way it shifted.

That said, I am also shopping for a vehicle and kinda want to go the no power locks/no power windows route. So, I am not typical.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Shifting is one of the least important things to me. I've owned many generations of deore to xtr, and sram equivalents. I stopped buying top of the line because of diminishing returns. To me wireless is just the new top of the line. I'm sure it's super smooth and feels great. Smoother than cables could ever be. That's just not a big priority for me. I've always thought we overprioritize shifting as if it really changes the ride that much. If you get the gears you need anything else is just gravy. 600 bucks for gravy isn't worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I ordered GX AXS last week 2 days after it was available. I got it yesterday and installed it on my 2014 fuel EX. It’s a hell of an upgrade for an old bike. I wanted AXS when I saw it a few years ago but couldn’t afford it. I have really bad carpel tunnel in my right hand and I can’t use normal shifters anymore. I went to grip shift 1x12 last year and it helped but this should be a total game changer for me. I can’t wait to get the bike on the trail and see how it is. But riding it up and down the driveway after setting it up was amazing. I know wireless shifting is totally unnecessarily for most people. But for people like me that can’t use normal shifters it’s is the difference between giving up mountain biking and not. What I really wish they would do next is make a shifter or a paddle that makes it easier to shift with my index finger and then I wouldn’t have to use my thumb at all.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The axs reverb is the fastes dropper I have ever used.
I only bought it, because the inner cable routing on my fs has a very tight curve around the bb which makes any normal dropper lever very firm.
Thanks! ..I am really looking forward to the AXS Reverb..as soon as I have enough $$$ set aside for one, and, even though I already have the sweetest mechanical dropper made : Revive by BikeYoke. The bike will look super clean with only the two brake lines. And I also like that the battery is interchangable between the Mech and the Dropper...which is like having a spare battery for the mech with you at all times. I truly never thought I myself would have all the electronics on my MTB, but the AXS made me a believer. So much so, that I now am looking forward to electronic rear suspension modulation....which is inevitable at this point.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Wow
i am happy to hear all the positive experiences with AXS
when it came out on XO - I ordered a fair number of bikes with it
sold out ; but turn rate was slow

on GX AXS, I ordered a lot more; but now I think maybe not nearly enough
especially after reading these comments

thanks for the comments and views

·
Registered
193 Posts
Shifting is one of the least important things to me. I've owned many generations of deore to xtr, and sram equivalents. I stopped buying top of the line because of diminishing returns. To me wireless is just the new top of the line. I'm sure it's super smooth and feels great. Smoother than cables could ever be. That's just not a big priority for me. I've always thought we overprioritize shifting as if it really changes the ride that much. If you get the gears you need anything else is just gravy. 600 bucks for gravy isn't worth it to me.
It may greatly depend on where you ride most of your rides. For me, I am shifting CONSTANTLY, and many mishifts mean many times I loose my drive, or even my intended line. By comparison, whenever I ride moab, or souther california, I don't shift nearly as much. For me, shifting in indeed a major part of my ride...gearing and shifting are, for me, equally crucial as good suspension actuation. To each his own I guess.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I couldn't find GX anywhere but an found XO1AXS upgrade kit online...there aren't many out there.

It'll be here Monday and on the trail Tuesday. Can't wait.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
This is an interesting thought.

A few months back I had my 2x10 Shimano gear replaced with SRAM 1x12. Curious if at the time it was available for the $600 if I would have opted for it. I think the price point is a little too tall for me yet. I'm satisfied with both my SRAM 1x12 bikes and I don't hesitate to say I assume I'd be as satisfied with the electric shift. Maybe a bit more giddy. The 1x12 on both bikes shift better than my Shimano XT was. My OLD bike (2000) with an XT derailleur was precise for year but this modern one I could never keep it tuned right. The clutch was finicky and I felt I was doing too much fooling around with cable adjustments and hanger checks. It was never bad per say, but it would not stay precise.
My two SRAMS so far have been nothing but precise.

I think to have the shifting be equal with the electronic for 2x the cost -maybe not the brightest expense I'd have had. The entire upgrade already cost quite a bit to get to 1x12 -adding on more would have hurt me mentally a bit more.
Could be a situation of "you're kidding me -the total bill is HOW much?" but then when finishing the 2nd ride maybe I'd be like -best money I ever spent. haha

I think the most important thing to me when riding technical stuff is precise shifting every. single. time. While it has all been good -I'd prefer perfect and have 'good brakes'.....I can stop and/or ride accordingly but it's irritating to hear click click when you wanted a different gear.

I had 105 stuff on a road bike, 2006 era and it was precise daily and I've always preferred Shimano but I'm convinced and in the same wagon as most that SRAM shifting and Shimano braking makes a bike ride as splendid as possible.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
It may greatly depend on where you ride most of your rides. For me, I am shifting CONSTANTLY, and many mishifts mean many times I loose my drive, or even my intended line. By comparison, whenever I ride moab, or souther california, I don't shift nearly as much. For me, shifting in indeed a major part of my ride...gearing and shifting are, for me, equally crucial as good suspension actuation. To each his own I guess.
I hear you on tons of shifting. I don't ride much undulating terrain where excessive shifting takes place but I still shift a lot like all trail riders. I just don't have issues getting caught in a bad gear, sluggish shifting, missed shifts....

I was an early adopter of 1x because I saw real benefits in weight savings, chain security, and shifting performance. There's nothing exiting me about axs like that. The only benefits I see that I would like are the overload clutch, though durability hasn't been an issue for me since 1x, and smoother more precise shifting. Those two things aren't worth the money for me, and I'm not stoked on adding 200g to the axle when I already have an onyx hub that weighs exactly one metric shi! ton. Weight at the axle can adversely affect suspension and I would be tipping the scales that only a gear hub could rival. That gx is a serious porker. Not that I would weight weenie over it if I really wanted it, it's just another reason for me to be happy keeping what I've got.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Buy. The. Upgraded. Paddle.
This^

I have x01 and xx1 axs on my two bikes and it is great. The paddle upgrade really makes it feel like the mechanical shifter just it performs 100% better and never needs adjusting. I can’t see myself ever buying a mechanical groupset again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Lol yeah. I trashed 4 hangers in one year on my park bike.
My GX Eagle mech was still fine after all of this.

The main reason why I would like the AXS is to just try it out and of course less cables on the bike are nice.
The less cable thing is pretty much the only real advantage the axs has over the mechanical version and that's fine for me.

I was also looking at a di2, but the whole cable salad is such a clusterfuck. I don't want to deal with that.
and its 11speed and yeah the cables are a clusterphiq. Seen too many ripped out cable DI2 rear derailleuers

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I’m pretty firmly in the “I don’t currently see the value in investing in expensive drivetrains” camp. As such, I’m still really not interested in wireless shifting at this point.

Additionally, I’m not sure how I feel about the need to charge something to make my bike function. I like how simple mechanical shifting is, and how I rarely need to think about it. Either because of where/how I ride, or just dumb luck, I've not had any problems breaking deraileurs yet. The servo helping prevent damage to the derailleur is an actual interesting improvement though. Maybe when pricing drops by half again I’ll re-evaluate.

But for now, I’m plenty happy with 11 speed NX, and currently considering 10 speed micro shift advent X, or 11 speed deore for my best build.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
and never needs adjusting.
After struggling to get my GX eagle shifting perfectly across the entire cassette without regular tinkering that is what has got me curious. Its still more money than I wan (or have) to spend on up grading the drivetrain at the moment though, maybe once the HT has new wheels and I'm happy with every other aspect of both my bikes...

·
Registered
16,010 Posts
I recently bought the XO1 AXS and man is it awesome. It’s the new benchmark. It’s true about the ease of setup too. I bolted it up, paired the shifter with the derailleur, ran through the gears and it was spot on. “That’s it???” Didn’t need any sort of fine tuning whatsoever. Shifts are quick and crisp without any delay. Amazing.

Edit: I forgot about the B-tension screw, which needed a turn to dial it in. You need two people to do that job.

21 - 40 of 114 Posts