do you like the idea of using it?

for HT or FS?
for CX, TRAIL, or ENDURO?

would buy a new bike equipped with it?

·
Registered
I secretly ride 12spd
2,084 Posts
I rode a bike with electronic shifting once. The shifting was incredibly smooth and it seemed like a great system.

That said, I don't see myself ever buying it. I'm a bit of a purist, but I prefer mechanics to electronics any day of the week. Mechanical breaks can generally be cobbled together trailside if needed. Seems like an electronic failure would likely have you walking back to the car.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Building my wife a mountain bike after she was forced to get away from it for the past 5 years. She tore the ligaments in her right thumb and they didn't heal back correctly. The first surgery to pin a ligament to the bone also didn't go well. She just had the joint fused and it's recovering very well! I'll probably put electronic shifting on her bike but not sure if I want to go with GX AXS or Shimano yet.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,102 Posts
As soon as Shimano brings theirs out I'll drool for a moment and then go ride my 11spd stuff. It all seems a bit much (and much too expensive).

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Tested it at launch. Awesome, affordable. Ordered an upgrade kit. Its next level. It will prepalce my aging XX1 rear derailleur that has over 13000km on it now

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I rode a bike with electronic shifting once. The shifting was incredibly smooth and it seemed like a great system.

That said, I don't see myself ever buying it. I'm a bit of a purist, but I prefer mechanics to electronics any day of the week. Mechanical breaks can generally be cobbled together trailside if needed. Seems like an electronic failure would likely have you walking back to the car.

Never ever seen a mechanical rear mech cobbled back together trailside in over 30yrs of mountain biking. I have lots and lots of people walking their mechanical derailleured bikes back to the car park after breaking a derailleur...

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,684 Posts
Never ever seen a mechanical rear mech cobbled back together trailside in over 30yrs of mountain biking. I have lots and lots of people walking their mechanical derailleured bikes back to the car park after breaking a derailleur...
personally, I think this is more of a bikepacking concern.

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,846 Posts

I'm 100% in. As soon as I have the money, I'll be buying it.
I'll be buying it for my 170/150 FS, but I can honestly see flipping the shifter, RD and rear wheel over to my SS to make it geared for a weekend. I mean... why not? There's no cables to run.

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
460 Posts
I love the AXS derailleur setup. I don't ride Sram myself, but my riding buddy just made the move to X01 AXS and I've spent some time on it. He is really happy with it.

I'm hoping Shimano releases fully wireless soon. The AXS stuff is making me strongly contemplate a mixed setup of Shimano 12 speed cassette, chain and chainring with an AXS shifter and derailleur.

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,846 Posts

See, that's the thing about the AXS (and maybe Di2)... the servo was built to survive hits that cripple cable mechs. There's a **** ton of videos on the web of people smashing the bodies with hammers and the RD just "moves over, absorbs the hit, and recalibrates".

Edit: I get it, $375 is a tough pill to swallow for a part of the bike that hangs down and begs to be abused, but at $125 a pop for a non-AXS GX RD, you break 2 and that you've broken even on price. In COVID times, there's no guarantee you can buy a new RD on a whim.

I'll pay a premium for the privilege of it surviving a hit or two, plus the daily, --every shift is perfect-- operation.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,684 Posts
Oh and, I very well may go this route when I build my next full squish bike.. which, I was planning to do next winter.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
See, that's the thing about the AXS (and maybe Di2)... the servo was built to survive hits that cripple cable mechs. There's a **** ton of videos on the web of people smashing the bodies with hammers and the RD just "moves over, absorbs the hit, and recalibrates".
many of them have smashed the derailleur hanger and the rear derailleur still didn't break

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,846 Posts
many of them have smashed the derailleur hanger and the rear derailleur still didn't break
I thought I remembered seeing a video of that, but I couldn't remember who or where. He replaced the hanger from his packed spare, re-calibrated the RD and off he went. didn't even break the chain.

·
Registered
457 Posts
After trying an XX1 AXS setup a few months back, I vowed I'd buy one eventually. Shifting with AXS is SO much better than anything mechanical imho. FF a few months and they dropped it at the GX tier....TAKE MY MONEY! Waiting for my kit to ship next week. I've also never seen anyone hobble a broken mech back together and ride out, always end up walking out from my experience.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Lol yeah. I trashed 4 hangers in one year on my park bike.
My GX Eagle mech was still fine after all of this.

The main reason why I would like the AXS is to just try it out and of course less cables on the bike are nice.
The less cable thing is pretty much the only real advantage the axs has over the mechanical version and that's fine for me.

I was also looking at a di2, but the whole cable salad is such a clusterfuck. I don't want to deal with that.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts