Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I have the 1x11 gx drivetrain on an 18 carbon fuse. Is it normal that when climbing in the largest cog when applying a lot of torque that there is a bunch of chain noise out back? All shifts up and down are crisp and smooth - the noise and inability to backpedal (not that i need to excessively) in the largest cog are just my only concerns. Looking at the chainline it is quite crosschained in this gear so I'm thinking it could just be normal for this sort of setup. Any knowledge is appreciated!

·
Magically Delicious
9,208 Posts
Cross chaining seems to exacerbate the sound of a dirty chain. Is it that kinda crunchy sound or something else?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cross chaining seems to exacerbate the sound of a dirty chain. Is it that kinda crunchy sound or something else?
Cruch/clickey. I clean my chain/drivetrain often but I'll give it an extra deep scrub and see if that helps anything.

·
Magically Delicious
9,208 Posts
I don't know how many miles that you have on the drivetrain, but if so worn chain, worn cassette in the low cog(s)?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To the eye everything looks decent but I do have roughly 900 miles on the drivetrain.

·
Registered
14,531 Posts
Does it improve after you lube the chain? 1x's are always loudest when in the largest cassette cog but the noise should be minimal with a clean, well lubed chain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you tried turning the barrel adjuster a slight bit? It could be slightly off, but you can't tell/distinguish on a stand - gotta apply that torque in the wild.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts