Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all,

I'm gutted and mortified...just after getting my 09 Sworks Epic back with a new brain unit in the front fork (thank you very much to Speci Tech from this forum who organised this with Spec Aus and Total Rush Melbourne), my bike is now back at the shop!

I went riding yesterday for a few hours, went to clean the bike this morning to find a large crack in the left hand chainstay- it looks like it got a knock from a rock or something, although I don't remember feeling the 'bump' at all!

All you other 09 Sworks Epic users, if you have not done so already, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE wrap the chain stays in some old inner tubes or some other protective material so this does not happen to you......Speci Tech- maybe you could suggest for future production, that the left hand stay receives a similar protective cover to that placed on the right hand chain stay?

Incidentally, the guys at Total Rush, are a great bunch- if you're in Melb and want a Specialized bike- these are the guys to visit.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
while you're at it, you should wrap the seat stays, and the downtube, and the.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
832 Posts
That is a real shame, although I think that Specialized will probably look after you with a new chainstay/section, as we all know the warranty dept is second to none.. It's not as if you have crashed it or anything.
I must say I always worried about carbon chainstays, with sharp rocks etc bouncing up. They should have left them alloy, like my S Works Stumpjumper, as by the time everyone wraps them in rubber etc they will weigh the same anyway. I think the chainstays are too in the line of fire to be carbon.
Goodluck with a replacement.

·
Wait, what!?
742 Posts
Those are tubes. I had a TON laying around, because before I went to Stans the AZ trails gave my tubes never ending fits. I took my time and made sure they were all wrapped nice an even, and I personally think they look good on there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.