Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a trip to the area in mid-August. I was surprised at the lack of state parks and other non-RV camping I turn up with searches. Although camping in a tent, I prefer running water and decent bathhouses, in other words "car camping" rather than primitive camping.

The only thing promising I've turned up is Elk Creek Campground some distance west of Gunnison in Curecanti National Recreation Area, but it looks pretty exposed for tent camping and is far from the goods in Crested Butte.

Any recommendations for the Gunnison or Crested Butte area? Quiet is better than party.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I camped in one of the forest service campgrounds above Crested Butte along 401 trail. Nice enough bathrooms (pits) and no running water that I remember though. Ride the 401 right from your site though! Other than it raining all night and my tent almost flooding it was an awesome spot!

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
I'm planning a trip to the area in mid-August. I was surprised at the lack of state parks and other non-RV camping I turn up with searches. Although camping in a tent, I prefer running water and decent bathhouses, in other words "car camping" rather than primitive camping.

The only thing promising I've turned up is Elk Creek Campground some distance west of Gunnison in Curecanti National Recreation Area, but it looks pretty exposed for tent camping and is far from the goods in Crested Butte.

Any recommendations for the Gunnison or Crested Butte area? Quiet is better than party.
First of all, CO tends to have relatively fewer State Parks. They tend to be on lakes or reservoirs. Lots of Forest Service CGs, which rarely have running water other than spigots to fill your jug.

Second of all, spend at least one night at the KOA in Gunnison. KOA Dave is a rock star, and the place is really nice. It's a commercial campground for sure, with green irrigated grass and what-all. It also has really nice shower facilities. And it's right close to Hartman Rocks, which has amazing riding, even though it's much lower than CB.

My advice, bookend your CB trip with nights at KOA. Start out clean and showered, head up to CB. Camp with your butt in the dust, get dirty. A little tip: a roll of paper towels and a little bottle of rubbing alcohol is good for hitting the hot spots to keep the worst of your filth under control.

Have a real CO mountain experience. Get dirty, bug bitten, and tired. Let your freak flag fly. Then go see KOA Dave. He's a vacation in a bottle, that guy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I've certainly done my share of primitive camping in my backpacking days and even done a night or two in CO. I actually forgot that I own a sun shower already. I can probably live with it for a night or two plus it will be cheap. I'm definitely going to be a on a budget this trip due to home repairs, car repairs, dying cellphone, etc. Amazing how life can interfere with a lifestyle.

Good recommendations, thanks.

·
Registered
547 Posts
First of all, CO tends to have relatively fewer State Parks. They tend to be on lakes or reservoirs. Lots of Forest Service CGs, which rarely have running water other than spigots to fill your jug.

Second of all, spend at least one night at the KOA in Gunnison. KOA Dave is a rock star, and the place is really nice. It's a commercial campground for sure, with green irrigated grass and what-all. It also has really nice shower facilities. And it's right close to Hartman Rocks, which has amazing riding, even though it's much lower than CB.

My advice, bookend your CB trip with nights at KOA. Start out clean and showered, head up to CB. Camp with your butt in the dust, get dirty. A little tip: a roll of paper towels and a little bottle of rubbing alcohol is good for hitting the hot spots to keep the worst of your filth under control.

Have a real CO mountain experience. Get dirty, bug bitten, and tired. Let your freak flag fly. Then go see KOA Dave. He's a vacation in a bottle, that guy.
Listen to this guy, but I'd rock baby wipes instead of rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
509 Posts
ahhh......I hope you have one of these.
I do, but only use it maybe once or twice a year, usually on the yearly hunting trip in the fall. When it comes to propane showers you kinda get what you pay for. You can get by on the cheap ones, but if you want something that actually works really well then go with the high output/full propane tank high BTU burners. Sometimes there is nothing like a hot shower at the end of a long day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One more question: Will I need a Garmin or similar if I want to track my ride or position on 401? I normally use Strava on iPhone but Googling results in a lack of clarity about whether a smart phone can track a ride without signal and it is my understanding that I can expect no signal there. I'm not competitive about times but I do like a recording for my own purposes.

And for you Luddites, don't worry, I'll still enjoy the ride even if I can't record it. We all went without GPS for decades and may have been happier for it, but that doesn't mean I don't want GPS.

Thanks.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Do you mean to tell me the iPhone doesn't have a "real" (satellite) GPS capability??
come on man! get with the times, don't you know all the cool kids nowadays have garmin units? :)

Not sure on the phone apps, but I imagine you can track without needing a phone signal, just GPS? Love my garmin edge 200 though, cell phones just don't work anywhere a few miles outside of CB.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,461 Posts
come on man! get with the times, don't you know all the cool kids nowadays have garmin units? :)
Garmin is so 2009.

Not sure on the phone apps, but I imagine you can track without needing a phone signal, just GPS? Love my garmin edge 200 though, cell phones just don't work anywhere a few miles outside of CB.
This is what I'm wondering about - a lot of phones have a GPS chip in them which receives signal from satellites, not cell towers. So they *do* work as a GPS unit even if they have no cell signal.

At least this is what I have been led to believe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's what I was worried about. If you search the subject you get a lot of responses saying either that a particular app either does or does not work well. It seems to be a pretty consistent recommendation to not synch the ride until you get back into range, or preferably, wi-fi + cell wireless. I have absolutely no idea why people recommend that.

If Garmin is 2009, what is 2014? What are all the cool kids buying?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.