Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i love my 2.3 spider UST's, but i think something a little less might be in order for a grind like this. the 13 mile course has about 3+ miles of road, and another 3 miles or so of dirt road- the remainder being dry+ gravelly singletrack (and rocky). UST tires are probably the first choice, but maybe non-ust and stan's and my mavic 819's will work, too. I want reliability (the only reason my team won last year- no mechs. and no flats), a little lighter, maybe, and better rolling resistance. Any suggestions and good deals would be appreciated.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Tire Choice

I'm a big fan of UST. Especially for endurance races. The last thing you need to be worrying about at 3am is changing a flat. This past weekend I double flatted with my tubed wheelset. The moment I got back to the pits, I swapped to my UST wheelset (I wanted to use the Nokians on my tubed wheelset versus the IRC Seracs on the UST wheelset) and didn't have any problems for the next 23 hours.

On to tires, Nokian NBX lites or IRC Seracs (which are on sale at PricePoint right now). Either one would be perfect for the conditions your facing.
.nathan.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,567 Posts
cbmtbr said:
i love my 2.3 spider UST's, but i think something a little less might be in order for a grind like this. the 13 mile course has about 3+ miles of road, and another 3 miles or so of dirt road- the remainder being dry+ gravelly singletrack (and rocky). UST tires are probably the first choice, but maybe non-ust and stan's and my mavic 819's will work, too. I want reliability (the only reason my team won last year- no mechs. and no flats), a little lighter, maybe, and better rolling resistance. Any suggestions and good deals would be appreciated.
I rode Conti Twister Supersonic front and Explorer Supersonic rear. Tubes. Worked well for me on a duo team. I don't remember any flat probs...

baker

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.