Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had a look at it lately? Melting, melted, muddy, or covered in blow down?

Thanks!

·
Bikes are good
855 Posts
I was HOPING you'd say "I rode it and it was dusty."

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was HOPING you'd say "I rode it and it was dusty."
Sorry to get your hopes up. I might have to take a trip there this weekend and scout it out. Take skis and bikes and see which one wins I suppose. I'm a bit tired of riding the gird to bird. Ahhh transition season.....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bird to gird is good to go. There was only one small patch of snow on Tuesday but I'd bet it's melted now. State park pulled the closure signs on Wednesday.

Sent from headquarters.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rode with my fatty on Friday. Melted but many soft muddy sections still. Large downed tree near the top of the connector to trailhead parking. Otherwise good riding for April.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,422 Posts
How does one ride this, out of Hope? Sounds like it might be fun to try tomorrow...

Edit: Yep, appears to be where I thought. Anyone want to do this?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the update tkmmbean.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,422 Posts
Saw another rider out there with a fat bike. Later, what seemed to be a family on skinny bikes. Conditions are not good for skinny bikes, so I wonder how that went.

Shouldn't take too long to dry out a little more. As is, there's a lot of great trail and fat-bikes are starting to iron out some of the ruts. Far better than the trails around Anc right now. Was well worth the drive.
IMG_0779.jpg IMG_0795.jpg IMG_0794.jpg IMG_0790.jpg IMG_0786.jpg IMG_0784.jpg IMG_0781.jpg IMG_0780.jpg IMG_0799.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the update tkmmbean.
No problem. I agree with Jayem (nice pics too) much better riding than in town, but I would wait a week or two before bringing a sub 4" tire bike or you will be putting in some serious ruts.
Great trail, just wish it was a bit longer and a bit closer. It would be really cool if the trail could wrap all the way around the mountains. future STA project? ;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice pics Jayem! Thanks.

Sent from headquarters.

·
Bikes are good
855 Posts
Yeah that's a cool trail. Rode fat bike at Kepler yesterday. Singletracks are dry as a bone, ski trails connecting things are a mess still though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's good to hear Elfbkr. Are the trails dry enough for 2.3" tires? I've never ridden out that way but the wife and I sure would like to ride some singletrack. Thanks!

Sent from headquarters.

·
Bikes are good
855 Posts
Yeah. The singletrack from the matanuska lake parking lot is pretty good. Very few wet sections that aren't going to rut up. Not a ton of trail, but you can weave your way around in there to get some miles done. The ski trails that take you over to Crevasse Moraine are not dry at all though. There were lots of tracks on them that I'm sure were close to 4-6 inches deep. No bueno. I get lost every time I ride out there. Pay attention to your turns, and familiarize yourself with the signs. Best to double back on trails you know are good as it would be easy to end up in the middle of a bunch of wet stuff. Good luck. Heading out to Gull rock one of these days after work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What's the status at gull rock trail? Im thinking of going today. Never been there so anyone feel free to give direction ;)

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,422 Posts
How was it? Considering taking the FS bike.

·
Registered
189 Posts
rode it today with my gf on our fatbikes. first time for us being on that trail. conditions were 98% dry with a few stream crossings and a few soft spots. Cant imagine it could get any drier. No blowdown (thanks to those who've been out there with a chainsaw). I lack proficient bike skills and parts (b/t mile 2.5-4.5) were tough... lots of rocks and roots to negotiate....and the bike riding turned into more of a walk-a-bike. It was fun though, great day, dry trail, minimal people. Good times!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree with smthgfshy. Rocky uphills kicked my butt. Where did you park your vehicle? Couldn't find the campsite host but parked at a camp site anyways..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts