Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than taking my bike down to the local bike shop every 2 minutes I'm trying to learn to do as much bike maintainance as I can myself.

My left hand brake lever has got very spongy of late, which I understand is due to air in the hydraulic system. To remedy this I've been told I need to bleed my brake, which even though I understand in principle, I'd appreciate some sort of online guide to help me through the process.

I found this video from Shimano on YouTube, but it suggests using a specific Shimano bleed kit which is pretty expensive.

Can anyone recommed any other links to alternative resources for doing it on the cheap!?

·
Registered
348 Posts
+1 on the Pentosin.....best mineral oil out there and CHEAP if you can find it! I gravity bled mine...open the bleeder on caliper and remove cover from lever. If you attach a hose and bag to caliper nipple you wont have the mess to clean up. open the bleeder and as the fluid level goes down in the lever keep it topped off (use a squeeze bottle). Once all the fluid is changed you can start the bleeding process.

·
C__Corax
384 Posts
2 syringes. you can also push fluid up from the caliper to the lever. which i think does a better bleed because air likes to go up through fluids. level the lever, take off the cover, suck out some fluid, push some up. repeat pull the lever a few times, tap the lines, caliper, and lever. fill the resevoir replace cap and your done! 10 minutes and your brakes will be solid!

·
Registered
348 Posts
definitely level the lever which ever way you go about it! Forgot to mention that earlier!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks nj0ywatch1np0rn, that's a great video, most informative.

I've just ordered a bleed kit off ebay, I'll post back here with an update on how I got on in a coupla days.

Thanks for your help everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts