Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Guides. I should know this. I have an idea but I am likely off.

Can someone please explain to me the relationship between those two adjustments?

Does the reach adjustment knob control how far you have to pull the lever before the pads engage? Does the contact adjustment dial control how quickly the pads bite? Is that basically it?

Strangely, or maybe not, I seem to be able to control lever reach with either adjustment.

Is there some accepted process for setting them up? Which adjustment do you start with? Reach? Are there any tips as to how to set them? I don't need to know about optimal reach. I know how I like the feel of that. I am more interested in understanding how to set these brakes up, assuming that I know how I like my reach to feel.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The lever reach adjust is to determine the normal resting distance of the levers from the bar, the contact adjust determines the bite point, or how far you pull to engage the pads. While I’m sure that one may affect the other, I’ve never really noticed this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lever reach adjust is to determine the normal resting distance of the levers from the bar, the contact adjust determines the bite point, or how far you pull to engage the pads. While I'm sure that one may affect the other, I've never really noticed this.

Thank you. I was wrong on the lever reach adjustment. In fact, the levers of my brakes do not move away from or towards the bar with that adjustment. Resting, they remain the same distance from the bar. What is adjusted (with both the reach and contact adjustments) is how far I can pull the lever towards the bar before the pads make contact.

Anyway, I am done with SRAM drivetrains and RockShox suspension. I may as well be done with Guide brakes too.

Right or wrong, Shimano + Fox for me from here on in.

·
Registered
168 Posts
What level of guides do you have, I have a set of guide rsc and code rsc that both features work very well, but only the rsc or ultimate have the contact adjust, r or rs only have reach adjust, if they aren’t changing the rest position if the levers then that is very weird

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What level of guides do you have, I have a set of guide rsc and code rsc that both features work very well, but only the rsc or ultimate have the contact adjust, r or rs only have reach adjust, if they aren't changing the rest position if the levers then that is very weird

Guide Ultimates. The Mac Daddy of the Guides.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.