Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I think I am going to take the plunge. I want a 29er. I've been trying to find an 'affordable' frame/fork, and a set of wheels. I can fill in the rest with parts I have accumulated.

I'm 6'4", 220 lbs and ride xc trails. I don't do freeriding, but I do weigh a fair amount and ride pretty hard. I need a relatively light frame/fork that will fit the bill. I ride 24" wheel bmx cruisers in addition to my (26") mountain bikes., point being I'd like to get something that doesn't handle like a whale.

I found a Sette frame on pricepoint for about $180, but can't seem to find a chromoly frame in the same price range. I'm set on going full rigid so I don't particularly want an aluminum frame like the Sette.

Is it possible to get a decent chromo frame/fork for say, less than $300 ?

Anyone have suggestions on a decent set of wheels for both rim/disc brakes ? It might be a bit more expensive, but I'd like to have both options open.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
phoenixbikes said:
Ok I think I am going to take the plunge. I want a 29er. I've been trying to find an 'affordable' frame/fork, and a set of wheels. I can fill in the rest with parts I have accumulated.

I'm 6'4", 220 lbs and ride xc trails. I don't do freeriding, but I do weigh a fair amount and ride pretty hard. I need a relatively light frame/fork that will fit the bill. I ride 24" wheel bmx cruisers in addition to my (26") mountain bikes., point being I'd like to get something that doesn't handle like a whale.

I found a Sette frame on pricepoint for about $180, but can't seem to find a chromoly frame in the same price range. I'm set on going full rigid so I don't particularly want an aluminum frame like the Sette.

Is it possible to get a decent chromo frame/fork for say, less than $300 ?

Anyone have suggestions on a decent set of wheels for both rim/disc brakes ? It might be a bit more expensive, but I'd like to have both options open.
Origin 8 Scout frames can be found on E-Bay for around $200, and there are options from several manufacturers for sub $100 rigid forks (Surly, Voodoo, Tange).

·
Registered
106 Posts
mtnbiker72 said:
Origin 8 Scout frames can be found on E-Bay for around $200, and there are options from several manufacturers for sub $100 rigid forks (Surly, Voodoo, Tange).
if you're looking for a steel frame youmight want to check out GT's Peace 9r, you can pick up the whole bike on e-bay for 450 or so. sometimes the frames pop up by themselves. frames weigh in a little over 5 pounds so it isn't too bad.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My custom 26" bike (circa 1998) pictured below is very roomy.

The geometry is quite steep. ( 74/74.5 ) The wheelbase is 43.5 inches. 21.5" frame.

Any suggestions for a sharp handling 29er frame that'll ease my transition from 24" & 26"
wheel bikes ?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm a 24" BMX cruiser guy myself. The Redline Monocog might fit your bill nicely. They're overbuilt if anything, and reasonably light for a nondescript 4130 frame. I recently bought the Flight version, and while it's admittedly a huge leap from a flickable 24" to a 29" ocean liner, the bike isn't the handful I anticipated. Completes go for around $550.

·
Registered
2020 Salsa Horsethief; 2021 Surly Krampus
851 Posts
A Kona Unit frame can be had in your price range.

As for wheels, I'd think WTB Dual Duty FR rims are the way to go - cheap, strong, rim or disc.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
phoenixbikes said:
My custom 26" bike (circa 1998) pictured below is very roomy.

The geometry is quite steep. ( 74/74.5 ) The wheelbase is 43.5 inches. 21.5" frame.

Any suggestions for a sharp handling 29er frame that'll ease my transition from 24" & 26"
wheel bikes ?
My first 29er was a 2007 SE Racing Stout and it was about as flickable as a 29er could get. Probably b/c it came from a BMX company. It would bunny hop and wheelie real easy-I didn't realize how agile it was until I got a more traditional geo 29er recently. I think the geo has changed a bit on them but that would be a good one.

Other options would be the Monocog already mentioned and probably the soon to come out Chromag, or the GT Peace

·
turtles make me hot
11,663 Posts
I scan e bay constantly for deals on bike parts. Even search 29er frames a couple times a day. I'm currently building a small aluminum 29er for my sister in law and an XL Kona Kula 29 for me. I haven't bought any yet, but I notice steel frames popping up from time to time.

·
Cars Are Evil
1,125 Posts
Check out Redline. Maybe a used Surly Karate Monkey. Pay attention to top-tube lengths more than seat-tube lengths. You'll find that even XL bikes can vary quite a bit. Keep it at 25" or less if you want it more maneuverable.

I'm 6'4", 215. I've had great luck over the years with Rhino Lite rims. A pair with Deore hubs should be pretty cheap and last a long time with a little grease and adjustment of the bearings every now and then.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jmmorath said:
My first 29er was a 2007 SE Racing Stout and it was about as flickable as a 29er could get. Probably b/c it came from a BMX company. It would bunny hop and wheelie real easy-I didn't realize how agile it was until I got a more traditional geo 29er recently. I think the geo has changed a bit on them but that would be a good one.

Other options would be the Monocog already mentioned and probably the soon to come out Chromag, or the GT Peace
I'm really leaning torward the Stout. The other option I had in mind was a Performance Access XCL 29er. Of the two, I think I might be happier with the Stout. I've had both aluminum and chromoly bikes. I prefer chromoly.

·
3,707 Posts
phoenixbikes said:
... I need a relatively light frame/fork that will fit the bill...
Stout and Monocog are definitely beefy, but not light. If you want a strong, lighter weight cromo frame, expect to pay a lot more than $300.

I owned a Monocog and I really regret selling it. If you have a local dealer, thats what I'd get over the stout.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I don't suppose you're interested in going single speed? I have a set of Bontrager Ranger SS wheels with a 20t cog and Bontrager 29-2 tires, all brand new. If you're interested send me a PM.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.