Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, it's not out...but what do you think? Will it be as tall as Z1, or towards a Fox 130mm? In between? Debating wether to spend my money on a Z1 SL (a bit tall), or wait. Rode the Minute and did not like it, hope my creaking (that's why it's out of question) Talas holds up until 2005...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I saw it in the latest issue of Flow magazine last night...

Saw it last night in the magazine. The info was a little different then the post in the DH forum a few weeks ago. The magazine claims it is 4.4lbs and that the travel is adjustable from 130mm to 150mm. The crown is the same has this years Z1 but the've cut some holes to save weight. There is one side with the TST damper and the other with the ETA spring and travel adjustement at the bottom.

Well, it is very interesting, specially that the travel is adjustable between 130 to 150mm, wow!

However, they didn't mention the axle to crown and I suspect it will be similar to the 04 Z1 at 130mm and you can probably add a 20mm when at 150mm. I think the 04 Z1 is 518mm AtoC...

I can't wait to get more info on it. Hopefully others have info and they will post it.

schotter said:
I know, it's not out...but what do you think? Will it be as tall as Z1, or towards a Fox 130mm? In between? Debating wether to spend my money on a Z1 SL (a bit tall), or wait. Rode the Minute and did not like it, hope my creaking (that's why it's out of question) Talas holds up until 2005...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I went through a few but I think it was Flow...

It was one of those big large ones with glossy pages that have been around for just a few months. I think it was Flow magazine. It was not the regular magazine that have been there for years MBA, Bicycling, MountainBike, Bike, MountainBiking. It was not either the UK ones, MBR, Singletrackworld, MBUK, WhatMTB. So this should narrow the selection quite a bit,haha. If I pass by a magazine shop I'll stop again and let you know for sure unless somebody else has seen it and will pitch in...

schotter said:
for regular QR. What magazine?

·
Registered
557 Posts
schotter said:
While I don't have the actual specs in front of me, I would expect the All Mountain in 130mm travel to be close to the 04 Z1 with 130mm of travel.... And having riden a Z1 SL on my Enduro for close to 2 years now, I highly recommend that fork.... But the new All Mountain line is going to be sweet!!

Brian

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tell me more about the Z1

Brian Peterson said:
While I don't have the actual specs in front of me, I would expect the All Mountain in 130mm travel to be close to the 04 Z1 with 130mm of travel.... And having riden a Z1 SL on my Enduro for close to 2 years now, I highly recommend that fork.... But the new All Mountain line is going to be sweet!!

Brian
I had the Z150 SL for a couple of weeks, was way too long for that bike so I sold it on Ebay. I wasn't sure if I liked the feel but I did not even break it in on those two rides, that 5-position thing did not really work for me since all possible positions were between two (of five) clicks. 150/air just felt a bit odd. Is the Z1 very different? 2 years troublefree sounds pretty good. Perfect fork would be a slightly shorter Z1 SL with a bit more coil feel, thought the All Mountain might be it.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
How much do you weigh? Above a certain positive air spring pressure, it is very hard to dial in enough negative pressure AND keep the fork from rebounding harshly at topout. I use the middle ECC setting since the 4th position starts to exhibit the lockdown "grab", and the 2nd position is totally uncontrolled rebound. I'm on 10wt oil now trying to slow it down. I also think the ECC could be improved with an adjustable rebound screw so you can change the settings at each ECC click. And for the A to C height of the fork, you could be getting close to an inch more travel with the new 5.5-6" travel forks coming out. Oil seeps into the negative chamber over time and reduces travel. I like my Z1 SL, but it does have its deficiencies. If you spend a lot of time tuning it, you can make it ride nicely.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...If you spend a lot of time tuning it, you can make it ride nicely.[/QUOTE]

162lbs incl gear, and no, I never spend a lot of time dialing things (when I try I tend to break things). Anything more than an oil level adjustment does not really happen, I usually grab the bike, ride and swear to do it next time...

·
Registered
557 Posts
schotter said:
I had the Z150 SL for a couple of weeks, was way too long for that bike so I sold it on Ebay. I wasn't sure if I liked the feel but I did not even break it in on those two rides, that 5-position thing did not really work for me since all possible positions were between two (of five) clicks. 150/air just felt a bit odd. Is the Z1 very different? 2 years troublefree sounds pretty good. Perfect fork would be a slightly shorter Z1 SL with a bit more coil feel, thought the All Mountain might be it.
The key on the SL forks is the negative pressure. A good start is 3.5 times the positive in the negative chamber. Now that I just saw your other post, I would try 25 and 90 for your pressures... As for the ECC, all the way counterclockwise is minimum damping... I usually run mine one click in...

Brian

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
Yeah, you needed some break-in time.

schotter said:
I liked my 150 SL that I got in January so well on my Bullit that I just put one on my old '00 Big Hit. My first one is perfectly dialed in for my preferences. When I set up my new one, I had forgotten how "unsmooth" the bushings and seal drag are on a brand new fork. It takes a few rides to get that out of the way, but when it does, you have a really nice setup. The 150 SL is an amazing air fork IMHO. I guess the ultra low, high volume air pressure is the biggest key. I run my (+) pressure identical to Brian's but run more (-) pressure. Oil level had to be manipulated a couple of times before I was happy with it. I basically run the minimum amount of oil to keep the hydraulic damping working and that's it. The more of the internal volume that is air instead of oil really gives you a wide lattitude of tuning. Just a little too much oil will limit travel for many setups.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
This thread as turned into a Z1 Z150, but what about the AllMountain1

Anybody has more info on the new AllMountain. I'm still puzzled that this Flow magazine was listing it as a 130 to 150mm of travel with external adjustment and the thread in DH forum a few weeks ago was listing it as a 130mm...

schotter said:

·
Registered
557 Posts
BanzaiRider said:
Anybody has more info on the new AllMountain. I'm still puzzled that this Flow magazine was listing it as a 130 to 150mm of travel with external adjustment and the thread in DH forum a few weeks ago was listing it as a 130mm...
Here is the All Mountain Line up:

All Mountain SL- Dual air, 110-130mm of travel

All Mountain 1, coil/air available in either 110-130mm or 130-150mm travel.

All Mountain 3, coil, 130mm travel

Brian

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Thanks Brian, axle to crown?

Thanks for the info Brian, where did you get that from? Would you happen to have the axle to crown height, specially the one that interests me most the 130to150 AllMountain1?

It's too bad manufacturers don't include the axle to crown measurement in the specs. I really don't understand why, this is the first question every rider asks after the amount of travel...

Thanks again.

Brian Peterson said:
Here is the All Mountain Line up:

All Mountain SL- Dual air, 110-130mm of travel

All Mountain 1, coil/air available in either 110-130mm or 130-150mm travel.

All Mountain 3, coil, 130mm travel

Brian

·
Registered
557 Posts
BanzaiRider said:
Thanks for the info Brian, where did you get that from? Would you happen to have the axle to crown height, specially the one that interests me most the 130to150 AllMountain1?

It's too bad manufacturers don't include the axle to crown measurement in the specs. I really don't understand why, this is the first question every rider asks after the amount of travel...

Thanks again.
Hmm... My job has it's perks.... As for the AtoC, not every rider pays attention to that...

Now while I don't have full specs handy, I would guess 556mm at 150mm of travel.

Brian

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
BanzaiRider said:

Thanks again.
Not sure which model they have but you could call Fanatk Co. in the Whistler village. They have a test rider on one. He is riding a 5-spot with the yellow all mountain on the front. The bike seemed to be stored at the shop so maybe they could measure it for you and you could post it up.

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
BanzaiRider said:

Thanks again.
Brian works for Marzocchi but usually just chills with us over in DH forum.

-TS

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Wow, this is exactly what we need...

That's what I call a spec sheet... thanks a lot.

So the AllMountain1 with adjustable travel from 130 to 150mm will be 518mm at 130 and 538mm at 150. This makes much sense, it's basically the same length as an 04 Z1 130mm and when you add the 20mm of travel you also add 20mm of AtoC length.

It will be a tall fork like the current Z1 at 130mm but with the ETA it doesn't matter much. Then at 150mm, hi, chopper time for the current 5inch trail bikes. That is perfect, our trail bikes will become even more versatile to rip on the downhill. And only 4.3lbs, that is the ultimate!

Now, we need some real feedback. Should be a great fork considering that Marzo are always plush.

Cheers.

steelduck said:
You do not have to guess (I am not 100% sure if those are real):

http://www.freeride.cz/mtb/clanky/index.php?action=clanek&id=542

1 - 18 of 18 Posts