Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Everyone Bleeds!
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I wanted to go ride today. I recently went tubeless with the Truth, since I have Mavic Tubeless rims anyway. I like them. Anyway, I figure, "What the heck!" The Rig has tubeless ready rims, I switch that too. I do the thing to them and put Stans in the stock Bontrager tires (Also tubeless ready). I inflate them to 40 psi and wait...... Days go by.... I ALMOST took the Rig out today, but went with the Truth... Lucky me! I come home, put the bike up, and start the grill. I walk out to the garage to start some music (That's where I keep the Sat Radio). I hear w little "Clicking" sound coming from where all the bikes are hanging... I look over there... Then "BANG"! Sounded like a damn 22 going off! The friggin' dogs go ballistic! Stans is all over the bike and there is the gaping hole in the tire! The SO starts insisting that its the heat! Give me a damn break! Those tires should withstand this heat! and the air pressure was NOT too high! Tires are crap! I'll never buy this brand again! Ever!:madman: :madman: :madman:

Attachments

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
pat, you should do what the yahoo who i bought a cheap clunker from did to it. take a look:

juan and i found a sliced tire underneath the tire!! :eek:

Attachments

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
What you expirenced could happen with any tire so you shouldn't let it turn you off to the Bontrager tires. I have a couple of friends that have been running ontrager tires for a very long time with nothing but good things to say, heck on a ride on Gooseberry Mesa in Utah my friend cut the sidewall of his Bontrager tire and we were able to plug it with the MTB version of those ATV tubless plugs and it finished out the trip, and another time in Prescott he put a 3/8" cut in the tread of the tire and pluged it the same way and is still riding on that very tire.

What I am getting at is if you like the tread design and traction of that tire don't let this 1 incedent turn you off to the tire.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've been running the XDX for 6 months on the back of my Ferrous. It has been a great tire. The easiest tire I have aired up tubeless and with the thick sidewalls it has been more than durable. It looks like you just had a slice thru the tread. Could and would happen to any tire.

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,356 Posts
The regular Bontrager tires are thin.

The Bontrager TLR tires are awesome tubeless.

·
Black and Sticky
767 Posts
Enel said:
The regular Bontrager tires are thin.

The Bontrager TLR tires are awesome tubeless.
That is exactly what I run on both my MTB's and they work great for me. But I've noticed that Bontrager TLR get almost zero love on the AZ forums. Your comment was the first positive one I ever saw.

Bob

·