Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

101 - 120 of 1096 Posts

·
Alt-132
1,564 Posts
Looks great, can't wait to see moar build photos

Frame is 6.5lbs with no shock right? That seems light to me, it's a shock away from the Following weight (6.5 with shock).

Also fwiw, my 1200mm WB Spitfire shreds in Pisgah and has no problems with switchbacks. I bet this thing will fly.
Yep, that's the frame weight sans shock.

·
Alt-132
1,564 Posts
You can make the spacers out of ski base/ ptex if needed. You just cut the width and length to fit inside the air can. I've been doing this for 8 years or so now.
Yep, I've also used grease for the same purpose before. But, as an included tuning part with the frame, I'm shooting for a little more polished of a part :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I placed my order for a Large Trail Pistol last week. I've decided to go with the RC3 option for the rear shock, and a 130mm Fox (I wanted Boost, but also wanted to get in line for a bike ASAP). I'm assuming that this bike will handle quite a bit of terrain for 'only' having 120mm.

·
Alt-132
1,564 Posts
I placed my order for a Large Trail Pistol last week. I've decided to go with the RC3 option for the rear shock, and a 130mm Fox (I wanted Boost, but also wanted to get in line for a bike ASAP). I'm assuming that this bike will handle quite a bit of terrain for 'only' having 120mm.
Sweet! You'll want the extra air volume spacer in the shock, and run 27% sag, measured in the seated climbing position, which definitely makes it more capable than you'd think for 120mm of rear travel, as you mentioned.

·
Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
311 Posts
I'm going with the XL, so I'll have to be patient. 130 Pike and Super Deluxe, XT drivetrain. Thinking F yeah blue, but I like all the other colors as well....

Also, I put down a 35mm stem for mine thinking that with the extra reach, I wouldn't need/want a 50mm stem.........Sound logic or stick with the 50mm?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Whoa! I've been away from the forum for awhile, I come back and see this!

This bike seems like it is exactly what I'd want if I were building one. A long and slack 29er with short chainstays and not too much travel. This is exactly what I would like and is now at the top of my wanted bikes list.

I was so close to buying a Megatrail, but decided I didn't need all the travel. This bike checks all the boxes. And I love the look of it. That top tube with the low standover is sexy. And there is a complete build around $3000. That's something I can actually afford.

It sucks though. I would start saving to place an order now, but I got a good deal on a 2015 Process 111. I got it in XL for the long reach. The two bikes are probably too similar to switch now. That blows because I would like to support the small guy and buy an American made frame. The Trail Pistol still sits atop my most wanted bikes list.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Guerrilla Gravity Tail Pistol

Pics? Sounds like problem solving at its finest !

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
Sorry Dusty I can't put my hands on any of the ones I've made to photograph. I used them for older Fox RP23 large air cans to make a more progressive spring curve with those. I did find my notes on them. I cut them out of 1.2mm thick ptex ski base (easy to find), for the inside fit to the outer air can they were 137.5mm and I cut them 15-22mm wide in 2mm increments. This way I could try a few and see what worked best.

Yep, I've also used grease for the same purpose before. But, as an included tuning part with the frame, I'm shooting for a little more polished of a part :)
Grease wouldn't be a great choice as it might plug the transfer port. See my notes above. I fitted them tight inside the outer air can so they did not move but just took up space. They were kind of polished and if you had room around the shock you did I not even have to remove a shock bolt to install them.

·
Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
311 Posts
I can only assume that you folks on Larges/Meds/Smalls are out riding your TP's and thus too busy to post up on them......Anyone have one yet?

Patiently ( kinda ) waiting in AZ.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just set up a basic 27+ wheelset, so I can offer both sizes to anyone that wants to ride this bike (once I finally have it in my hands), and used WTB 3" tires; I see that the Guerilla Gravity website recommends 27+ x3", any input on how it handles some of the sportier 2.8" tires, like a Rekon+ or Schwalbe?

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
Just set up a basic 27+ wheelset, so I can offer both sizes to anyone that wants to ride this bike (once I finally have it in my hands), and used WTB 3" tires; I see that the Guerilla Gravity website recommends 27+ x3", any input on how it handles some of the sportier 2.8" tires, like a Rekon+ or Schwalbe?
Personally, I think 2.8 tires are the perfect balance for an aggressive mountain bike. If you are riding 3.0 tires, you might ad well get on your fat bike!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Personally, I think 2.8 tires are the perfect balance for an aggressive mountain bike. If you are riding 3.0 tires, you might ad well get on your fat bike!

I think it also depends on what terrain, and how you ride. I've experimented with both, and absolutely destroyed a pair of 2.8" Nobby Nics within two rides. My 3" Bridger/Trail Boss combo has held up a little better (no punctures), but doesn't give the same feedback to the bar when carving turns. I do ride a lot of rocky, and loose rocky singletrack over clay here in KY. I have ordered some Rekon +'s to test out as well.

Ugh, trust me- 3" 27+ is still miles away from a full fat tire here.

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
I think it also depends on what terrain, and how you ride. I've experimented with both, and absolutely destroyed a pair of 2.8" Nobby Nics within two rides. My 3" Bridger/Trail Boss combo has held up a little better (no punctures), but doesn't give the same feedback to the bar when carving turns. I do ride a lot of rocky, and loose rocky singletrack over clay here in KY. I have ordered some Rekon +'s to test out as well.

Ugh, trust me- 3" 27+ is still miles away from a full fat tire here.
NN tires compared against the Bridger is not even a fair fight!

What did you expect with paper thin side walls of the NN? It's why the Bridger weighs several hundred more grams per tire!

WTB tires are awesome and have beefy sidewalls. If you had a 2.8 with comparable sidewalls you would probably have a different opinion.

Not saying 3.0 tires are not good, you just compared a good 3.0 against a not so good 2.8

·
Registered
31 Posts
NN tires compared against the Bridger is not even a fair fight!

What did you expect with paper thin side walls of the NN? It's why the Bridger weighs several hundred more grams per tire!

WTB tires are awesome and have beefy sidewalls. If you had a 2.8 with comparable sidewalls you would probably have a different opinion.

Not saying 3.0 tires are not good, you just compared a good 3.0 against a not so good 2.8

I ordered the 2.8" Rekon + with a 60 tpi casing, just for the hope of some durability- We shall see once I have the new bike to set them up on.

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
I ordered the 2.8" Rekon + with a 60 tpi casing, just for the hope of some durability- We shall see once I have the new bike to set them up on.
Rekons look to be a killer tire. Looking forward to getting a set myself

·
Registered
73 Posts
After riding my trail pistol for the last few weeks - some more insight on the sizing...

I chose to size down (from medium to a small) for a couple reasons:
-I'm 5'-10, but my wingspan is only 5'-7" and I have a 32" inseam so a short torso as well
-I prefer to size my bikes based on they feel standing, not sitting
-I wanted it to be a trail bike as I'll have another enduro bike next year, so shorter wheel base and quicker than my MT
-I talked with Matt before I bought and gave him my BB to saddle measurement (30") and he came back with the effective TT measurement and I new I could slide the seat back in the rails enough to get my ideal butt to hands measurement
-With a 16.5" seat tube and 150mm dropper there is no problem getting the height
-I'm ****ty at manually so I need all the help I can get.

That said, I rode Matts medium as well and it felt awesome. It rode more like my MT. You had to ride more aggressively, over the front and it definitely felt more stable at speed - like the MT did. I had to try harder to get the front wheel up but with the 16.9" CS it was still easier than the MT... Can't go wrong either way - just ride both sizes and figure out what you want to use it for...
-

·
Registered
31 Posts
Any chance that bottle will still fit in the front triangle with the super deluxe reservoir? Hard to tell if it would fit with the reservoir facing down, or if it would need to be mounted backwards.
I run a Large frame with the Super Deluxe, and space is not a concern.

·
Registered
31 Posts
PCE3.jpg I think my ride is just about dialed- should be dealt with this weekend. If anyone in Central Kentucky is interested in checking these out, I have a Large Trail Pistol running around the hills.

·
Alt-132
1,564 Posts
A Super Deluxe and water bottle fit on the size medium as well, same as pictured above. The small size also fits the Super Deluxe and bottle, but the cage is under the top tube, vs on top of the downtube. rudeboybl has a small with Super Deluxe and water bottle.

Here's a pic from the owner's manual, of a size medium:
Trail Pistol Medium With SDLX and water bottle.jpg

101 - 120 of 1096 Posts