Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 1109 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
All the differing responses above are why I asked to clarify soil type and terrain!

I dunno jack **** about northeast soils - do you have much clay there? I bet Dissector front Rekon rear gets you a fast setup but I didn’t like how the Dissector breaks out laterally in wet conditions, especially wet clay. I haven’t tried the Rekon so take this idea suggestion with a huge grain of salt.

I think Smmokan’s Conti suggestions do very well on dry loose over hard. I’ve used both MK2.4 and TK2.4 (newer ones on both, not the way old ones that people hate) and they both roll pretty fast. TK2.4 tread pattern hooks up on rails when leaned way over - much more aggressive cornering knob setup than MK2.4. MK2.4 is pretty open block pattern and does okay in loose over firm, usually consistent but I’ve had some wipeouts in truly loose conditions, probably pilot error.

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
2,867 Posts
I know east coast riding. It's variable. You can ride smooth, fast, hardpack and tacky trails with the occasional root, or you can ride endless rocks that are all terribly slippy. In this regard, it's probably more akin to PNW trail surfaces.

I would rarely classify the trail surface as loose over hard.

My buddy back in PA is a pretty damn quick rider, and he was really surprised at how much his riding improved when he got on E13's MoPo ultra-tacky slow-rebound tires. He had previously been riding Schwalbe Hans Dampf, but now says that he'll purchase tires based on tacky compounds, especially for the rear. It makes a big difference over slippy rocks.

So with that, I'd suggest find the stickiest rubber you can for the rear. That might not be Maxxis, but here are some suggestions:

I really want to try the Dissector, but primarily as a front tire. I would agree with others that the DHF and Assegai are pretty damn heavy tires, really only suitable for situations where you need ALL the grip up front.

I think the Dissector/Rekon (in EXO+) would be a good pair. Maybe Dissector/Forkaster, or Forkaster/Rekon would be good matches, too.

3C MaxxGrip is going to be the ticket.

Schwalbe now has a much wider range of tires and compounds. Addix Ultra Soft out back.

Continental Mountain King is a good suggestion. Still rolls fairly quick, light, Black Chili, good protection.

Eliminator GRID TRAIL might be another good option, but not very lightweight.

In general, if you want light weight, high grip, decent protection, you need to go with the Euro brands like Schwalbe and Conti.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Pistola Race size 4 scheduled for delivery tomorrow! Hoping to get it assembled with a shakedown ride before the end of the week. Timing couldn't be better! Heading to Bentonville next week for 3 days of riding!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Shakedown ride report...

Needs a couple minor adjustments including rotating the bars forward a bit and burping the front brake. That said, here's the good, bad, and different coming from a 2017 Mojo 3...

The good: descending is like being on a magic carpet; absolutely eats up chunky terrain both up and down.

There's a spot on my local loop where you have to climb a steep rock pile and then go over or weave through some wheel catchers at the top. I would make that about 1/2 the time on the Ibis. Made it on the first try with ease yesterday on the Pistola.

Climbing traction for days! Took it on the steepest climb near me yesterday, and it just keeps going with no spinning out whatsoever. Also did not have to move forward on the saddle at all for the steep climbs. Just lean forward and keep pedaling. Much more comfortable than trying to sit on the pointy end of the saddle.

FAST: when things open up on the flats or downs, the bike simply flies!

The bad: on the first ride climbing seemed to require a bit more effort than the Ibis. It's possible that this could be attributed to: a hard training ride the day before, so my legs weren't totally fresh; running a round chainring and getting used to it. I ran an oval on the Ibis and really liked it for putting down power on climbs. I may move to an oval on this one but will give it at least a couple weeks to see if I just need to adjust.

Also may need some adjustments to suspension setup. I ran the Ibis with a 140 mm Pike, and it didn't bob at all on climbs. I noticed a little bob yesterday with the 150 mm Fox 36. And a little bob in the rear as well with the DPX2. May just need to move the shock to the middle position for extended climbing.

All-in-all, I'm confident that I'm going to love the Pistola and likely put at least as many miles on it as I did the Ibis in 4 years of ownership.

BTW, XL Mojo 3 for sale, in case you know anyone looking! :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Multiple attempts to upload a photo have been unsuccessful. :-(

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
2,867 Posts
Did you run the same tires on the Ibis as on the TP?

If not, tires can have a massive impact on perceived effort and efficiency.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Most recently ran Bontrager XR4 27.5 x 2.8 up front and Rekon 27.5 x 2.8 rear on the Ibis.

On the Pistola I'm running a Minion DHF 29 x 2.5 up front and Redon 29 x 2.4 rear.

I feel like those are pretty similar setups, aside from the plus size on the Ibis.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi all
Advancing age has caught up and switching to full suspension. I ride in New England, which mean roots and boney forested trails. Anyone have feedback on the TP or Pistola in this region. Considering the Pistola with a 150nm fork and 130mm shock. Most of my riding buddies are XC fans but I’m more interested in a bike that is a decent climber/descender but is easier on a damaged neck (getting old isn’t always fun). I don’t do big jumps (if I do, something has gone horribly wrong and my bike usually heading in the opposite direction of my body). Thank you in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No experience in that region, but I do have back issues and had to switch from a HT to full sus this year with the TP. I have back issues that just didn't like the HT on the chunk out here in So Cal, and I like to ride hard and fast. The TP works for me, but I think the more travel the better if you are trying to smooth out the neck pain. Pistola might be the ticket even if you arent gonna use all the travel all the time. Good luck

·
Registered
648 Posts
TP is an easy choice for a fs bike. Shock set up can make a big difference. I currently have a DPX2 and took the volume spacer out to make it more linear. In my opinion, this makes the rear more balanced with the fork and overall a bit more forgiving of a feel (less harsh). I ride in rocky terrain (more rocky than what most reviews) and the bike climbs better in this configuration. Not sure if it wall help with your back, it may be a bit of trial and error. Perhaps a coil might be better. Have you considered a Smash? You could tweak the geo to get it close to a TP.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Hi all
Advancing age has caught up and switching to full suspension. I ride in New England, which mean roots and boney forested trails. Anyone have feedback on the TP or Pistola in this region. Considering the Pistola with a 150nm fork and 130mm shock. Most of my riding buddies are XC fans but I’m more interested in a bike that is a decent climber/descender but is easier on a damaged neck (getting old isn’t always fun). I don’t do big jumps (if I do, something has gone horribly wrong and my bike usually heading in the opposite direction of my body). Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Neck pain is also about cockpit, consider raising your bars, running a tighter cockpit, different bar width and grips help a lot, even a better seat can help with pain.

I have pretty serious neck pain from years of trauma, sometimes it burns so bad I have to stop and stretch, I’ll ride one handed at times, but the most important thing for me to learn is maintaining good posture while riding; avoid hunching over and keep your arms bent.

More suspension won’t soften the ride in terms of neck pain, it could even increase pain due to excessive body movements which can exacerbate the seesaw movement; the whip in whiplash.

Going to an FS bike will help balance the front-rear movement, so less front end dive, creating a more balance ride style.

The Pistola is a great bike, I rode one for a while, though my current ride is a Shred Dogg mullet; I also run 29” wheels on both ends. The Shred has a shorter chainstay and taller bb than the Pistola when run 29”.

So yeah, the Pistola is a good choice if you want an aggressive short travel 29er.

As a fellow old person, riding since I was a kid, I literally feel your pain, I recently gave up my long travel bike and just ride two short travel FS bikes.

I lived in Knoxville Tennessee for twenty years, I know your riding conditions, for sure a short travel 29er is the better choice.

Think about the Shred as a 29”, I realize it’s not the norm, but increasing pedal clearance is worth the higher COG, short chainstays are awesome for tight terrain. I’m 6’, ride a Size 3 in short mode.

My Shred is set up with a 29er fork set at 140mm, riding the tall lower cup, so relative to a 27.5 it’s a 155mm fork. I was riding in trail mode (130mm), but currently riding in plush (140mm). The Shred also rides great as a 27.5.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Passing along a swing arm protection flap i made out of anti-slip vinyl flooring. Sorry in advance if already posted.

I got a rock in the chainstay bridge and seat tube, scratched it up a bit. Decided to mock up something like what IBIS makes for the ripley and ripmo. Works great. Install with double-sided heavy duty tape.. Super easy to make. <$20 in material and quick to install. See picks for a rough outline if you want to do it yourself.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I lived in Knoxville Tennessee for twenty years, I know your riding conditions, for sure a short travel 29er is the better choice.

__

Interested in your thoughts as why you say this?

For context, I live in Nashville and want to buy a new bike. My son is in Knoxville at school and we ride together here, there and occasionally in western NC. I'm suffering from paralysis by analysis - which is fine because there is not much to order right now anyway. I got into this because my son was interested and now have been doing it about 6 and a half years. I'm not any sort of great rider (advanced beginner?) but I am completely hooked. Ride a couple of times a week when weather allows in Nashville area and also occasionally in east TN / western NC. Current bike is a slightly small medium 2015 lefty Cannondale Trigger. Want a newer bike in size large, with modern geo and wider rims. No chance to demo a GG but drawn to them and interested in a Pistol / Pistola / Smash but also considering other bikes. Have spent time on the current Rocky Mountain Instinct, Kona Process 134 and Trail 429 (well that was current before today) and liked them all. Rode a v1 Ripmo and it liked it ok but liked the others better. Also rented an older Transition Scout that I liked, and an older Smuggler once that I honestly didn't. You seem to really like the GG - would you recommend a Pistol or a Pistola in my use case? One thing that is appealing would be to run it as a pistol in Nashville and then change it to a Smash in East TN / Western NC, but then again, those bikes seem pretty similar unless you really change forks, wheels, tires and then that's a lot of cost for a few long weekend trips a year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I lived in Knoxville Tennessee for
I ride a magnum pistola (fox 36 150mm + fox dpx2), and love it; may be a good option if you are looking for a single configuration. Admittedly, I've never tried a smash. For how efficient the pistola feels, I imagine the smash climbs well too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks for the feedback. where do you ride it?

If i was only going to ever have a single config, I think the Pistola like you have set up would be the way to go. Although apparently the new Smash will be 140 instead of 145 so the differences from Pistol to Pistola to Smash seem pretty small, all using the same frame and potentially the same fork.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
If i was only going to ever have a single config, I think the Pistola like you have set up would be the way to go. Although apparently the new Smash will be 140 instead of 145 so the differences from Pistol to Pistola to Smash seem pretty small, all using the same frame and potentially the same fork.
If that's true about the Smash, then it makes me think they won't be offering the Pistola configuration as an option much longer (or any longer).

1081 - 1100 of 1109 Posts