Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

441 - 460 of 482 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. I am gonna give SD gravity some more time while I put some money away for a shock and air spring to bring the front up to 170.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Dumb question, if not only because it is too obvious to have not been asked before.

2018 Shred Dogg comes with a 57.5mm stroke shock, 135mm trail mode/145 gravity mode
2018 MegaTrail comes with a 65mm stroke shock, 150mm trail mode/165 gravity mode

What happens if you put a 60mm stroke shock on it?

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,520 Posts
Anyone running a 29 front tire 27.5 back on AL shred Dogg? Could you give ride impressions please.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Just got a message last night from Ben that he has turned his ShredDogg into a SmashDogg (29er all around). The way he works I am sure it wont be long before he gives the mullet a try and puts the 27.5+ on the rear.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Just got a message last night from Ben that he has turned his ShredDogg into a SmashDogg (29er all around). The way he works I am sure it wont be long before he gives the mullet a try and puts the 27.5+ on the rear.
I did the mullet on the Smash, ran it numerous times in the past. It's fun, but the geo change is very pronounced, really slacks out the STA, and kinda jacks up the suspension because it shifts the weight bias.

Certainly fun to try, folks have been mixing wheel sized for years, I'm not sure I'd invest a bunch of money in it, but if you have a tall enough fork and the spare wheels, why not?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm on a 2018 Shred Dogg and have it converted to full 29er (150mm MRP Ribbon 29'er fork) - i9 wheels - set up in Gravity Mode. I tinkered around with it set up as a reverse mullet (135 trail mode with a 27.5 in the rear and 29 in front) but haven't brought it out on the trail yet. I really, really like having the larger diameter wheel in the rear for climbing (more traction, rollover, etc). I did run it as 27.5 x 2.8 up front and 27.5 x 2.5 in rear and preferred that over the 2.5 front and rear. I imagine mullet would be sweet if you dig 27.5 wheels.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I'm on a 2018 Shred Dogg and have it converted to full 29er (150mm MRP Ribbon 29'er fork) - i9 wheels - set up in Gravity Mode. I tinkered around with it set up as a reverse mullet (135 trail mode with a 27.5 in the rear and 29 in front) but haven't brought it out on the trail yet. I really, really like having the larger diameter wheel in the rear for climbing (more traction, rollover, etc). I did run it as 27.5 x 2.8 up front and 27.5 x 2.5 in rear and preferred that over the 2.5 front and rear. I imagine mullet would be sweet if you dig 27.5 wheels.
What's your BB height in the 29er configuration?

I swapped back to 27.5 this morning and it was much more playful, though twitchier at low speeds, so maybe I'll throw the 29er on the front this weekend and go get some ... my wife is gone until Sunday, so I am primed for some serious body damage!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think I am going to cave and just get revved frame and swap components instead of investing in a 29er up front. The 27.5 wheel build I have is a nice set up so no need to change.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
always licking the glass
2,388 Posts
Dumb question, if not only because it is too obvious to have not been asked before.

2018 Shred Dogg comes with a 57.5mm stroke shock, 135mm trail mode/145 gravity mode
2018 MegaTrail comes with a 65mm stroke shock, 150mm trail mode/165 gravity mode

What happens if you put a 60mm stroke shock on it?
Some folks are running Shred Doggs with 60mm stroke shocks. I think (please check with GG) that the travel changes to 140/150mm on the Shred Dogg.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hey Stripes, thank you for responding. I just got an email back from Bobby and his feedback was something along the lines of yes you can run a 60mm stroke shock and it would put the travel (somewhat unsurprisingly) between that of the Shred Dogg and the MegaTrail :D:D:D

I am still torn between leaving the bike as-is, converting to 29er front wheel setup, converting to proper MegaTrail, or slightly upping the travel via the 60mm stroke shock upgrade.

·
Registered
184 Posts
quivvy,

Are you still riding your SD as a full 29er?

I am mucking around with my 2018 SD to try and figure out how to get more BB height and decrease the pedal strikes.

I would like to hear your riding review as a full 29er since it has been a while since this post.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Shorter cranks would help, maybe a shock that keeps you higher in the travel without feeling jacked up in the rear?

My solution was two fold:

Trail Pistola for short travel 27.5/29
Megatrail got long travel 27.5

The Pistola in 27.5 guise is not far off the Shred, also serves dual purpose as a 29er.

If you want plush, the Mega is pretty nice, could easily be a one bike for folks who like more action.

If you more into flow, long days, mixed use, the Pistola is awesome.

I’m leaving for a week of riding in WA/OR, I’ll ride everything from flow to park, I’m taking the Pistola and two wheelsets

quivvy,

I am mucking around with my 2018 SD to try and figure out how to get more BB height and decrease the pedal strikes.

I would like to hear your riding review as a full 29er since it has been a while since this post.

·
Registered
702 Posts
quivvy,

Pedal strikes are pretty common with the new geometries. Personally I wouldn't recommend puttying 29in wheels on a SD. You'll only safely be able to fit around a 29x2.2ish tire. Its like putting pizza cutters on your bike.

My girlfriend has a medium 2018 SD. We put a megatrail rear shock on it and she runs a 150mm MRP upfront. She mainly runs gravity mode (165mm). She also runs 27.5x2.8 tires front/rear. The front is Maxxis DHF and rear is Specialized Purgatory. They are similar in size to some 29x2.2 tires just WAY more fun and traction.

We are in Denver and ride the classic trails here. They are rocky and chunky. She doesn't get many pedal strikes. She gets some strikes, but it is the same place we all do.

I would highly suggest maxing out your tires to 2.8. You'll get a little more lift and it is by far the cheapest option. Also invest in crank arm boots, if you haven't.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Shorter cranks would help, maybe a shock that keeps you higher in the travel without feeling jacked up in the rear?

My solution was two fold:

Trail Pistola for short travel 27.5/29
Megatrail got long travel 27.5

The Pistola in 27.5 guise is not far off the Shred, also serves dual purpose as a 29er.

If you want plush, the Mega is pretty nice, could easily be a one bike for folks who like more action.

If you more into flow, long days, mixed use, the Pistola is awesome.

I’m leaving for a week of riding in WA/OR, I’ll ride everything from flow to park, I’m taking the Pistola and two wheelsets
Ben,

I just got a Push 11-6 on my 2018 TP and set it up as a Pistola with my MRP set to 140mm. I'm loving the shock and the setup. I'm running 29x2.8.

I'm been thinking of trying 27.5 on my TP.

How do you like both wheel sets?
Does it really change the feeling of the bike?
What size tires are you running?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wow, Fast responses-Thank you very much Nurse Ben/gunderted!

I have an MRP Ribbon Air in 150mm. I am thinking of extending it to 160mm or 170mm.

I run a Fox FloatX2 shock.

My tires are Maxis DHF/DHR 2.6 with 19 front/21 rear psi.

I really want to figure out how to make the the 27.5s work and not convert to 29. I have a 29 I like already.

I was just head out for a ride to see if increasing the spring rate and adding some low speed compression will change the ride height/decrease the pedal strikes.

More later.

·
Registered
702 Posts

I have an MRP Ribbon Air in 150mm. I am thinking of extending it to 160mm or 170mm.

I really want to figure out how to make the the 27.5s work and not convert to 29. I have a 29 I like already.

I was just head out for a ride to see if increasing the spring rate and adding some low speed compression will change the ride height/decrease the pedal strikes.

More later.
Here are some pics and measurements from my girlfriends bike. Here rear is a Slaughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
always licking the glass
2,388 Posts

More later.
What problem are you looking to solve? Less pedal strikes?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am running a trail dog bb height is just shy of 12.5 inches and I am having too many pedal strikes. Going to go full trail pistol to raise BB height to 13.6 inches.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
What problem are you looking to solve? Less pedal strikes?
Yes. I currently run DHF/DHR 2.6 tires. Gundrted suggested I move up to 2.8s to help relieve this issue a bit.

My other ride is a Banshee Phantom V2. The Phantom has about 3/8s" (9.5mm) higher BB. On the same trails I notice few pedal strikes than on the SD. There are probably a lot of other factors that influence that.

A change in ride technique might improve this issue as well.

BB Height:
GG SD-13 3/8" (~340mm)
Phantom-13 34" (~350mm)

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
2.8 will be tight out back depending on tire and rim choice, nothing wrong with 2.6, might want to run shorter cranks ....

I think relative bb height is similar across the GG bikes, adjusted for by changes in seatstays, fork length, and lower cup height.

I ran 27.5 x 2.6 wheels yesterday on a Pistola, tall lower cup and a short fork (Message), it was a chunky enduro ride into a technical downhill, didn’t have any problems with pedal strike even though the bb is quite low (330mm), but I was running 152mm cranks.

Pedal strikes on an FS are more often due to suspension set up when peddling, you might want to add some high speed compression when peddling through tech sections or try shorter cranks 🙄

Edit: so the Pistola as a 27.5 is pretty fun, not to downplay the ride with 29” wheels cuz I like those too, but I do find having a lower bb makes the bike handle better. Larger wheels take more effort to correct at low speeds, so the smaller wheels are easier to ride at times.

I rode an aluminum Smash as a 27.5 and really enjoyed it, probably one of my favorite bikes, the Pistola is right up there, though not nearly as plush; the Pistola is more agile. My grandmas couch Megatrail is the bombdiggity for chunk and big hits, but it’s so plush that it’s an energy suck for long days of climbing.

If I couldn’t get short cranks, the bb would be far too low with this set up, but 152mm cranks and a 330mm bb create a virtual ~350mm bb which is plenty. Of course many folks would balk at such short cranks, but all day epics with thousands of feet climbing and descending, I notice no loss of efficiency or power.

A low bb, feet closer together, high pedal clearance when pedaling, pretty much ideal for me.

I think the low bb trend is only a problem because we’re still running long cranks, just saying.

Yes. I currently run DHF/DHR 2.6 tires. Gundrted suggested I move up to 2.8s to help relieve this issue a bit.

My other ride is a Banshee Phantom V2. The Phantom has about 3/8s" (9.5mm) higher BB. On the same trails I notice few pedal strikes than on the SD. There are probably a lot of other factors that influence that.

A change in ride technique might improve this issue as well.

BB Height:
GG SD-13 3/8" (~340mm)
Phantom-13 34" (~350mm)

441 - 460 of 482 Posts