Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've always wondered what people do with their gu wrappers during a race? On an easy ride, i'll take the time to fold it up and put it on my jersey pocket, but during a race ,that's not really an option.

Do you throw them on the ground and leave them? Do you try to throw each wrapper in the same place so you can collect them after the race? What do you do?

I have a race coming up, where it is pretty technical and windy, so if i get the chance to have a gu, it will only be for a brief moment, the track is around a 7km loop, so ofcourse i will be doing a few laps of it.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
bike_freak said:
Hey guys,

I've always wondered what people do with their gu wrappers during a race? On an easy ride, i'll take the time to fold it up and put it on my jersey pocket, but during a race ,that's not really an option.

Do you throw them on the ground and leave them? Do you try to throw each wrapper in the same place so you can collect them after the race? What do you do?

I have a race coming up, where it is pretty technical and windy, so if i get the chance to have a gu, it will only be for a brief moment, the track is around a 7km loop, so ofcourse i will be doing a few laps of it.

Thanks for the help.
I switched to a small GU flask a few seasons ago and am very happy to not have to deal with wrappers and such anymore. It also allows you to dilute the GU a bit - which really helps ingesting it while going hard. Easier to drink/squirt, no wrappers, easy in and out of jersey pocket - and no litter.

I do keep a spare in my other pocket in case of emergency, and when I'm done with it, despite racing and all, put it back in the pocket. The 1-2 seconds time lost has never ever been a factor. Once in a while a promoter will have a feed zone set-up where you can drop bottles, wrappers, whatever else, and this is the only time I see it as acceptable to toss wrapper and such on the ground. Some promoters have adopted very strict rules - including DQ'ing - at races to prevent as much littering as possible. In my 60+ races, I just have never felt the need to throw my crap on the ground, and yelled at more than a few folks tossing GU wrappers on the ground.

If you insist you have to toss 'em at the start/finish area where they'll be ahving to clean up anyhow, or you can go find 'em later. OR, get a helper to hand up bottles and GU's, and dispose of your waste.

At the race I'm helping design, organize and promote - I'm thinking of awarding time bonuses for GU wrappers brought in, and grave penalties for people littering on MY TRAILS. There is simply no excuse, unless one accidentally falls out of your pocket or something...

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
2nds for the Gu bottle

glenzx beat me to the punch in suggesting the Gu bottle or flask. But even with the single serving packets, I would think in race circumstances you lose more time trying to open it while riding than the second or two you might take stuffing it in a jersey pocket.

I recall reading some pretty heated criticism of the the Sea Otter from someone who (rightly or wrongly) attributed litter they found at Ft Ord to the race.

·
Registered
8 Posts
bike_freak said:
Hey guys,

Thanks for the help.
just put the wrapper inside the leg of you bike short

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dirty baker said:
just put the wrapper inside the leg of you bike short
I was asking as the wrapper usually gets sticky, and would feel awekard to put back in your clothes. I think i may try find a flask to use, been meaning to get one... seems like an easy way to give your self energy, and also not risk 'bonking' from having too much Gu at one time.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Flask or Shorts...

I've been using Hammer Gel with a flask, so it always gets put back in my jersey pocket, but when I have used GU or Hammer Gel in packet I stuff it in the leg of my shorts or my jersey pocket. During a race you get covered in dirt, mud, dust, sweat, and other feecus, what's a little hammer gel on the jersey, shorts or leg??

·
Registered
34 Posts
bike_freak said:
I was asking as the wrapper usually gets sticky, and would feel awekard to put back in your clothes.
If you're coherent enough to feel 'awkward' while racing- you should be riding harder!

The other guy/girl was right...designated feed zones are the only place to drop things.

GIVE A HOOT DONT POLLUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
GU washes out of clothes just fine. Does not really matter if you get a bit sticky for a short time. I shove mine in a jersey pocket. The short leg is a great place to carry 2-3 full packets.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What kind of bottle

Hey guys i've had this problem every since the first race where i really F***** up and bonked big time...anyways i was hallucinating and stuff, real nasty...my question, what kind of "flask" do you use? it seems like something like a water bottle would obviously be to big but what would you suggest? Size, Shape?

·
Gnar
476 Posts
A bottle of Hammergel comes with a 5-serving flask (or at least it used to). That’s what I use. Fits in a jersey pocket nicely.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Anarchy_Biker said:
Hey guys i've had this problem every since the first race where i really F***** up and bonked big time...anyways i was hallucinating and stuff, real nasty...my question, what kind of "flask" do you use? it seems like something like a water bottle would obviously be to big but what would you suggest? Size, Shape?
GU flasks are small, fist-sized 5 serving holders:

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Actually it's a little known fact that GU actually offers a return program for empty wrappers and in return will give you 1 GU for every 10 wrappers you send in - min to send is 50. http://www.gusports.com/html/stash_your_trash.htm and yes I agree with Glenzx that the very little time it takes to store your trash is worth it and penalties should be given out for litering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts