Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I sent an e-mail to GT:

I own a 2007 iDrive 4 4.0. I was wondering about upgrades. Is the frame shock a standard Fox Shock or is it a special version of the Fox Shock for the iDrive? For the fron fork, can I increase the travel or do I need to stick to 100mm?

Here is their reply:

The amount of travel in a full suspension bike is actually determined
from the "leverage ratio" or in other words how much the swing arm moves in relation to how much the shock moves. Because of this a different
swing arm would only change the geometry and most likely wouldn't
actually alter the amount of travel. Also when you change the geometry
of the bike the frame will stress in different locations from what it
would stock. This can create premature frame breakage and voids all
warranties. Another thing to consider here would be clearance issues
around the shock and rear tire. GT strongly frowns upon doing this as it will create an unsafe bike.

OK, when did I even ask about changing out the swing arm? WTF?!?!

It's annoying that they did not directly answer my question about keeping to a 100mm fork or not.

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
They did. Read it again....They said if you alter the amount of travel (change the geometry) it puts stress on the frame that it was not designed for. Stress that will eventually lead to the down tube probably giving way. Have seen it many times when people post pics of bikes where they've stepped up the amount of front travel beyond the original design.

·
Registered
962 Posts
It looks like they thought you were thinking of changing the travel of your rear shock, which would change the way your swingarm would work in relation to your front traingle. I personally never liked changing the fork travel on a bike made for 100mm. If your bike had more travel, as in 6, 7 inches or more than upping your fork travel and inch or so shouldn't matter muchsince the bike frames are made for more abuse. Your 4.0 was made for cross country. If you're looking for an all mountain ride then you bought the wrong bike bro. Why do you want to have more travel in your fork? You may be able to go to 120mm. some of their 4in. travel bikes have a 120mm.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't necessarily want more fork travel. Sometimes, you find deals on forks, but they are more than 100mm travel.
I also don’t want to increase the rear travel. I guess I’m just going through part envy. The rear shock bottomed out one time and I was kind of concerned and thought a better Fox shock would be in order.
As far as the front fork goes, I’ve bottomed it out once. I was thinking that sooner or later I’d need to look for a new fork.
The primary use of my iDrive 4 4.0 is entry level trail riding. I use my 29er for XC.

·
My gloves stink
1,486 Posts
I like bottoms

hardwarz said:
The rear shock bottomed out one time and I was kind of concerned and thought a better Fox shock would be in order.
As far as the front fork goes, I’ve bottomed it out once. I was thinking that sooner or later I’d need to look for a new fork.
IMHO, if you don't bottom out occasionally, you're oversprung. In other words, if you never bottom out, you're not using your full travel. What's the point in dragging around 100mm of travel if you only use 80mm of it? I tune my suspension so that I bottom out on the big stuff. Happens maybe once a ride.

·
Registered
962 Posts
It's ok to bottom out once in a while. Apendage is right. I also bottom out ocassionally. Sure there's better forks and shocks out there but I wouldn't upgrade til stuff needs it or it's cooler looking. Hahaha!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or you outgrow a part? ie: Become a better rider and outgrow the fork's suspension.

·
blog hogs
303 Posts
You have to love Gt's e mail dept.
I was trying to track down a 2010 calafia.I could not find one anywhere in the U.S.I sent a e mail to GT and was given a lame form letter telling me to go to the GT dealer here in Olympia.The shop GT was refering to hasnt sold GT bikes for over a decade.
Iwas later told by a few overseas web sites that GT didnt sell the bike in the U.S. and ended up buying it from a U.K. site.

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
blog hogs said:
You have to love Gt's e mail dept.
I was trying to track down a 2010 calafia.I could not find one anywhere in the U.S.I sent a e mail to GT and was given a lame form letter telling me to go to the GT dealer here in Olympia.The shop GT was refering to hasnt sold GT bikes for over a decade.
Iwas later told by a few overseas web sites that GT didnt sell the bike in the U.S. and ended up buying it from a U.K. site.
Keep in mind that all CSG companies have recently landed on the same campus in Bethel, CT and unfortunately for us GT riders most everyone in Bethel spoke Cannonwhale. Lots of new faces at the new campus out there. Kind of like expecting a freshman to know everything the first week of classes. Very few people from GT made the move. Thank goodness Mark Peterman did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts