Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I recently bought a second hand GT, that appears to be a Zaskar.
It's been repainted, and I assume has aftermarket stickers on it.

The bike rides beautifully, and for nothing more than curiosity sake, I'm interested in finding out what year the frame was produced, and what variety of Zaskar it is.

I emailed GT with the serial number, however, they were unable to assist with details.

Could anyone shed some light on the 'visible' differences between the Zaskar variants (garden variety, LE, Team etc) and how to identify it's year of manufacture.

This frame is sans disk mounts, so I'm assuming it's a few years old.

I'm new to posting here, but if I can work out how to upload a photo, I'll do that.

Thanks for your help.

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
blackjack said:
Hello all.

I recently bought a second hand GT, that appears to be a Zaskar.
It's been repainted, and I assume has aftermarket stickers on it.

The bike rides beautifully, and for nothing more than curiosity sake, I'm interested in finding out what year the frame was produced, and what variety of Zaskar it is.

I emailed GT with the serial number, however, they were unable to assist with details.

Could anyone shed some light on the 'visible' differences between the Zaskar variants (garden variety, LE, Team etc) and how to identify it's year of manufacture.

This frame is sans disk mounts, so I'm assuming it's a few years old.

I'm new to posting here, but if I can work out how to upload a photo, I'll do that.

Thanks for your help.
Picture would be helpful..

I beleive the LE/non le versions of the frames are frame wise the same but the actual parts on the bike are different.

Another way to narrow down the year is by the derailleur hangers. Gt zaskars had a few variants of hangers in its life.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Howdy.

I just managed to post a picture of the bike in the XC-Hardtail album.
I'm not sure how to put a link in for that photo - sorry.
Also, this post would probably be better in the GT forum - again, sorry.

Hope the photo helps.

·
Banned
6,153 Posts
blackjack said:
Here's a photo.
I've got more specific ones if needed (ie. closeup of hanger etc.)
THe way to make sure it's made in the US and not Taiwan is that the end of the top tube, just past the seat tube intersection will end with a FLAT peice of aluminum with the GT logo embossed.

Taiwan models have a CURVED peice of aluminum with a GT logo.

Your s is flat, so you can atleast be sure it's American. Whether or not it's a Zaskar could still be in question. 1998 model Avalanches were made both in Taiwan and the US.

Your drops outs are flat, not machined 3-D style like newer and higher end GT hardtails. If it's a Zaskar I'd put it at a 1996-1998 model, but not an LE version of anything beyond 1996, as that's when they started doing the "3-D" dropouts.

It could very well be an Avalanche too.

See if you can find the Easton logo on the top or down tube near the head tube junction stamped into the metal. Zaskars used Easton 6061 whereas Avalanches used 7005 series aluminum.

What is the serial number?

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
imridingmybike said:
THe way to make sure it's made in the US and not Taiwan is that the end of the top tube, just past the seat tube intersection will end with a FLAT peice of aluminum with the GT logo embossed.

Taiwan models have a CURVED peice of aluminum with a GT logo.

Your s is flat, so you can atleast be sure it's American. Whether or not it's a Zaskar could still be in question. 1998 model Avalanches were made both in Taiwan and the US.

Your drops outs are flat, not machined 3-D style like newer and higher end GT hardtails. If it's a Zaskar I'd put it at a 1996-1998 model, but not an LE version of anything beyond 1996, as that's when they started doing the "3-D" dropouts.

It could very well be an Avalanche too.

See if you can find the Easton logo on the top or down tube near the head tube junction stamped into the metal. Zaskars used Easton 6061 whereas Avalanches used 7005 series aluminum.

What is the serial number?
You can also date it a little more by the Cantilever mounting sleeve on the seattube (right side). THe newer zaskars didn't have these as V-brakes curve on the left side of the bike.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input.

The frame is stamped with a serial number on the non drive side drop-out.
The number is 019644** (last two didgits obscured by the overpaint) with 20 stamped below this.
I sent this number to the Australian GT distributor, but they could shed no light on the subject. I might get onto the US distributor.

I can't see any Easton stampings on the tube set.

Either way, the bike is light, super stiff and makes me climb like I didn't know I could (which is still quite pedestrian)

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What year was your frame MTB_Biker?

The end cap of the top tube is definitely flat, with the GT stamped on it.

I searched the posts for photos of Avalanches.
This frame has quite pronounced lugging around the top tube/head tube, which the Avalanches seemed to lack.
(that could be a size thing - given that this frame is a 20")

I'm wondering if the '96' in the serial number relates to the year of manufacture?

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.