Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dudes, I'm just getting in to all this and I've got a original GT Zaskar with hard forks and was thinking of changing them for shox, so my question is what size do I need to look out for and what else do I need to be aware of?
Cheers Matt.
PS I'm after dirt trail forks not jump forks.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
mattc said:
Dudes, I'm just getting in to all this and I've got a original GT Zaskar with hard forks and was thinking of changing them for shox, so my question is what size do I need to look out for and what else do I need to be aware of?
Cheers Matt.
like an early-mid 90's zaskar?
you'll need to figure out the size of the headtube. if it takes a 1" steerer, your options are pretty limited as for putting a suspension fork on it & it's geometry isn't designed for the longer axle-crown length of a suspension fork. if it is 1 1/8", lots more options. there's been some nice zaskar's posted up in the VRC forum, check 'em out.
you won't want to put a fork with more than 80mm travel (probably less).

·
Registered
536 Posts
mattc said:
Cheers Matt.
As long as it's a late 90's Zaskar with the threadless headset, I'd look at an 80-85mm fork like the Rockshox SID, Marzocchi Corsa or Fox F80. Note these aren't all that cheap as they're lightweight XC race forks.

A cheaper option is the Marzocchi MX Comp 85, which is a mid-range 85mm XC fork.

·
Bike Geek
735 Posts
judy/sid/pilot

Might want to look into an older judy/sid/pilot fork. They have the same measurements as far as the lowers, and I believe they can all be manipulated to 80 mm or less, or may be already in that configuration. Used would probably be cheaper than new, as you can often find sid/judy forks on ebay or craigslist.

The older judy I am speaking of is early 2000's and older, definitely not the 2003 or newer ones.

A 63 mm judy/sid would probably be the best geometry wise, but you could definitely use an 80mm fork on that GT. If you are a big boy, you could probably rock a 100 mm, mainly b/c of sag.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, thanks for all you comments and I had a good look at the pics. I now have worked out it's a Oct 1997 so I guess it's ebay next.
Cheers Matt.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
mattc said:
Cool, thanks for all you comments and I had a good look at the pics. I now have worked out it's a Oct 1997 so I guess it's ebay next.
Cheers Matt.
a good bet for a decent used 70-80mm travel fork is marzocchi Z2/atom/marathon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts