Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have experience or know of reviews for the Zaskar 9R pro, our choices are limited in South Africa. they offering it at a good price here and they're well specced.
guess other choices are GF Paragon, more expensive. Specialized. Niner, expensive and canondale also on-one and Giant.
nice thing about the GT is they generally really strong.
the riding I do is generally xcountry, enduro, weigh in a hefty 6.3ft 200 pounds, though thats very average aroung these parts.
doing a race later this year called the www.freedomchallenge.org.za so looking for a new steed. the race is 2300km offroad, involves some serious wild areas so reliability a must, portaging so weight a consideration. plus you carry 18pounds gear with you.

any idea's

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
The Zaskar is a nice XC machine. The Zaskar series is classified as their Race XC series. As you probably know, its kitted out pretty good. Full Shimano XT with a Fox fork on it. I do think the weak link on this bike is the wheels. They are OK, but I think for someone doing a big race a nice custom wheelset would probably be more durable in the long run.

But for the money its a really nice package that is hard to beat when compared to the others mentioned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply, agreed on the wheelset. with the decent price it gives me options
any ideas on the weight and on the wheel clearance??

is the slack head angle a positive IYHO

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I own this bike but have not hit much single track with it, bike seems very durable to me but that is probably because before this my bikes were all deore level bikes.

As far as specfic questions the main input I would have would be the tire clearance there just is not much out back, especially in the mud so if that is a concern and you want to run fat tires I do suggest looking at other frames. I am currently running a Geax Saguro 2.2 out back and the stock nevegal up front.

I have never weighed mine but I would guess between 25-26. From the research I did before my purchase the wheels are the only really component on the bike that is "Heavy" but if you are probably going to be upgrading anyway I would not worry so much about that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HEMIjer

Thanks for the reply. Most of the riding I do is in pretty dry arid conditions anyway...South Africa! so clearence isn't a major issue. I probably wouldn't run larger than 2.2 anyway, its just that one wants to take advantage of the large volume possibilities of 29er tyres if need be. Strange though that there are so few reviews on the net. GT bikes have a solid reputation here.

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
bospaadjie said:
thanks for the reply, agreed on the wheelset. with the decent price it gives me options
any ideas on the weight and on the wheel clearance??

is the slack head angle a positive IYHO
Whell clearance not so god with the stock HUGE nevegals
i replace the rear tire. Great front tire.

I loved the slack angle, it gave me a lot of confidence in the technical bits. I rode it on step trails in the French alps.
If you do only flat land ridding, might not be so good

you can find my test online (in French) here :
http://www.bikelive.com/articles-1047-2-Articles-gt-zaskar-9-er-pro-une-legende-innovante.html

·
mnoutain bkie rdier
2,823 Posts
NO WAY that bike's MSRP should be $6000.

Perhaps, $3000 is fair, but don't think you are really getting a 50% discount:rolleyes:

Try to find a 2011 closeout on a Speshie carbon 29er for $3K imo...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.