Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out one of my buddies works at a bike store and can get me a good deal on a gt or a mongoose. Never thought mongoose made bikes like the Canaan elite till I saw I today. Are they as good a quality as gt?

·
Registered
11 Posts
i dont recommend a mongoose, i owned one of these uptil recently (when it thankfully got knicked and the insurance paid up)... Even though it got good reviews (i had the canaan elite) it did not feel as good quality as my mates bikes, nor did it hold up to being used constantly. Generally i used it twice a week, but i was replacing parts on a monthly basis. The hydrolic hoses kept breaking, the shock kept needing rebuilding, the set up was awful......My one of my lbs stopped selling mongoose bikes this year as they did not like the quality and had had numerous complaints ...

May i also add that to get a shock rebuilt (through a mongoose dealer), it takes 2 months .... and ihad it done twice, in under a year

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Wrighty43 said:
i dont recommend a mongoose, i owned one of these uptil recently (when it thankfully got knicked and the insurance paid up)... Even though it got good reviews (i had the canaan elite) it did not feel as good quality as my mates bikes, nor did it hold up to being used constantly. Generally i used it twice a week, but i was replacing parts on a monthly basis. The hydrolic hoses kept breaking, the shock kept needing rebuilding, the set up was awful......My one of my lbs stopped selling mongoose bikes this year as they did not like the quality and had had numerous complaints ...

May i also add that to get a shock rebuilt (through a mongoose dealer), it takes 2 months .... and ihad it done twice, in under a year
I dont know the details but either something was wrong or this bike was excessively abused or not maintained well. The mongoose bikes found in the LBS use brand name components that are the same/similar to what you buy off the self. They should not be any more or less durable than anything else.

I think the earlier canaan had frame breakage problems but they have since been solved with a redesign.

I have a Mongoose Khyber and prefer it over a cannondale prophet or SC heckler I once had. The component spec is unbeatable for the money and the frame seems decent. The suspension linkage is very odd looking but it works well on the trail. I use it as my DH/FR resort bike and though its called AM it has been very durable and trouble free for me(I weigh 200lbs). Though it is a bit heavy.

I believe GT and Mongoose are owned buy the same company and both come with a good warranty. Bike one that you like or fits you the best and you can't go wrong.

·
Huh?
344 Posts
Mongoose and GT are owned by Pacific.

Freedrive = I-Drive - Some benefits

Mongoose is heavier than Gt, not so much more reliable. Mongoose uses very good kits on their bikes for the price to regain the mass market.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
airs0ft3r said:
Mongoose and GT are owned by Pacific.

Freedrive = I-Drive - Some benefits

Mongoose is heavier than Gt, not so much more reliable. Mongoose uses very good kits on their bikes for the price to regain the mass market.
What benefits does the Idrive offer that is not offered with mongoose freedrive?

·
Pin it
213 Posts
I have had a teocali for about 2.5 years. I had to rebuild the suspension once, but it holds up pretty well. 33# for a pretty solid $1400 bike is good by me. Came with a great component spec as well. It does need more than average maintenance, as the pivots can come loose.

In short, Mongoose does make some good bikes (as well as some sub-par ones).

·
Huh?
344 Posts
dascro said:
What benefits does the Idrive offer that is not offered with mongoose freedrive?
In a few reviews they said the Free-drive had noticeable brake jack. One of the most impressive things about I-Drive is that even though it's basically a single pivot, there is little to no brake jack.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
airs0ft3r said:
In a few reviews they said the Free-drive had noticeable brake jack. One of the most impressive things about I-Drive is that even though it's basically a single pivot, there is little to no brake jack.
If the reviews actually said brake jack, then those reviews are worthless. Neither of them have brake jack. One might have more brake SQUAT then the other, but neither of them will exhibit any brake jack. If the reviewer is confusing the two the they're probably a pretty worthless reviewer.

Anyway, as you were

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I am very sensitive to brake feedback which ultimately led me away from the single pivots I was used to and I can confidently say the mongoose does not have noticeable brake feedback.

The only negative thing I can really say is that the mongoose linkage is heavy. And if you spend all your time looking at it, you will convince yourself that it can't work as well as you feel on the trail!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wrighty43 said:

So, what you are saying is, mongoose is responsible for the parts on the bike? Lets say you're shimano/sram shifter broke, you would then blame mongoose for it? You're shock needs to be rebuilt, so mongoose is at fault? Tool.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Amasa

thetrav27 said:
I just bought an Mongoose Amasa Super . So far I think its an amazing bike, and am loving it :D ill let you know if anything goes wrong with it. It was between that and a GT ...
I picked one of these (the Comp version, not the Super) up new a few years ago for $330 shipped off of ebay. It is easily the most bike for that kind of money I've ever even heard of. It did teach me how lousy entry level hayes hydros are though (only about 5x better than rim brakes, instead of the usual 10x)

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Actually there are some things that require clarification. Mongoose, GT, Schwinn, and Cannondale are all owned by the same company.

The stuff you see at Wal Mart may wear stickers that say Mongoose but it is a completely unrelated line manufactured in Asia then given the decal treatment. True GTs and Mongooses (mongeese??) are not available at department stores just as the cheapies are not acknowledged on the manufacturers sites.

·
Registered
149 Posts
SlimTwisted said:
Actually there are some things that require clarification. Mongoose, GT, Schwinn, and Cannondale are all owned by the same company.

The stuff you see at Wal Mart may wear stickers that say Mongoose but it is a completely unrelated line manufactured in Asia then given the decal treatment. True GTs and Mongooses (mongeese??) are not available at department stores just as the cheapies are not acknowledged on the manufacturers sites.
thanks for clarifying that. I wondered if the Toys-R-us mongeese were related to the ones in professional bike shops. The Toys-r-us ones are absolutely ridiculous.

PS i remember several years ago (maybe 10 years ago) Pacific used to sell mountain bikes and BMX bikes at placees like walmart and toysrus. I had a pacific BMX bike with pegs and stuff that i absolutely loved. But i think they went bankrupt since then and have been taken over, I now own a GT (2008 so made by pacific) and it feels like a very solid bike, nothing like the cheap pacifics i was riding 10 years ago.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
It's a shame really because there are countless beginners out there who see Schwinn or Mongoose on the frame spars at the store and think, well I know that's a legit brand only to get it home and realize it's a total piece of crap. I mean I wonder how many people then dismiss the entire brand based on the experience. They say money talks, but that's some bad marketing in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.