Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to get me started I bought a Bell hand pump from Wal-Mart and that plastic pump handle was quickly trashed, however the gauge on it seemed to work really well. Every down pump the gauge would stay at the amount of pressure in the tube.

My new floor pump came yesterday and I can't seem to get the gauge to read how much pressure is in the tube. It is a GT Typhoon with the dual head and I'm trying to use the Presta side. It goes down on the valve but every down pump air comes out the Schrader side of the head and the gauge on the pump immediately drops back to zero. It's like the gauge is only measuring how much each pump is. Is this how this gauge works, do I have to be real quick in watching the needle rise to it's highest point to see the amount of air in the tube before it quickly drops back to zero? It almost seems like there should be some kind of switch somewhere to block off the side of the head you aren't using but I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Can Tree Member
847 Posts
While I don't have that pump, you can be pretty sure that there is some way of twisting/rotating/flipping the head so that air either come out of one side or the other, but not both. And the gauge will measure the air pressure being held inside of the pump at the end of the stroke, which should be the same as what's in the tire.

I just tried a little internet-detective work and found that the GT Bicycles web site does not appear to have any reference to the pump. (Maybe they are embarrassed by it? They probably just slapped a label on somebody else's product.) So no luck finding a manual there. If it's your model, I found a GT pump at Priceline for $17, enlarged pic below.

It appears that there is a seam where the hose fitting of the valve head meets the air chuck part.. My guess is that the chuck rotates around the base/hose assembly, switching airflow between the two heads. Try that and let us know if it works.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dad Man, yea that is the pump and PP is where I got it. I looked at GT's site as well before posting here but like you said, they don't seem to want any connection to it anywhere.

I called my LBS and they suggested giving the head a solid thump against something and/or some WD-40 as there is supposed to something in the head that switches the other side off. I gave it a thump and it worked like a charm for the front tire, you really have to work to get the head on and off the valve. Back tire air was coming out of the Schrader side but the gauge was still registering.

Might have to just reserve this pump for blowing up basketballs and get a single head pump for the bike.

·
Can Tree Member
847 Posts
You might consider getting a Silca pump head for the GT pump. Kind of like putting make-up on a pig, but you can get a reversible Silca head for about $14 that will handle presta and shrader much better than any other reversible head I've tried using. The new head will attach to the old hose with a hose clamp...it will outlive that GT pump and any other pump you put it on, until you get a Silca pump (which will then outlive you).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.