Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for some info, history or a timeline on the steel frame GT MTBs. First Flight doesn't have much on them yet. Google isn't turning up anything except ebay adds. Anything on the U-brake versions especially would be helpful.

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
What kind of info are you looking for? They had no handmade-in-USA steel frames until the Psyclone in 1991.

After going to the Triple Triangle frames design, All GT's had a rear U-Brake until 1993, when they switched to a rear canti.

Most GT's have been made overseas, with the exception of the Xizang (Ti, from several sources, including Sandvik and a Canadian builder for the earlier ones, (whose name I forget, but who eventually went on to build Rek Tek's bikes in Whistler, BC) The Zaskar and Zaskar LE from 91 until about 97 or 98, and the Psyclone, which has always been US built.

The full suspensions are a completely different thing. There are son many different generations, most of which had the top end models (1 and Team models) built in USA, then the lower end ones overseas.

I'd be happy for a little more info from others on this, as my complete GT knowledge is fading a little over the years.

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
richieb said:
What kind of info are you looking for? They had no handmade-in-USA steel frames until the Psyclone in 1991.

After going to the Triple Triangle frames design, All GT's had a rear U-Brake until 1993, when they switched to a rear canti.

Most GT's have been made overseas, with the exception of the Xizang (Ti, from several sources, including Sandvik and a Canadian builder for the earlier ones, (whose name I forget, but who eventually went on to build Rek Tek's bikes in Whistler, BC) The Zaskar and Zaskar LE from 91 until about 97 or 98, and the Psyclone, which has always been US built.

The full suspensions are a completely different thing. There are son many different generations, most of which had the top end models (1 and Team models) built in USA, then the lower end ones overseas.

I'd be happy for a little more info from others on this, as my complete GT knowledge is fading a little over the years.

RichieB you must have sold them?.....You done good above. Maurice Lavoie (sp?) was the BC builder who did the early Xizang's....the rest were Sandvik built. 91-98 Zaskar's and LE's were all So. Cal built....in either Huntington Beach or Santa Ana after they moved back. 99 and 00 Zaskar's were also US built frames but from SAPA with finally assembly by Omnium on the complete bikes. Many of the higher end steel frames from 88-92 including the Steel Xizang, Cyclone, Team Avalanche and Avalanche were made in Japan by Toyo. Exception in 1993 with most all sizes going canti was the 14.5" frame size which remained u-brake for heel clearance....with the lower seat stay on the triple triangle frame there just wasn't enough space for the wider profile 93 canti's to work and allow heel clearance. In regards to full suspension the RTS, LTS and STS 1's and Team's were all USA made frames as were many of the Dual Sport (DS) series frames in 97 and 98. It's easy enough to tell most of the USA built frames because the first four digits of the all numeric serial numbers indicate the month and year the frame was built.

Anybody out there with one of these 89 Steel Xizang's with the Browning set up?

Attachments

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
Ahhhhh...the Psyclone, favorite mt bike I ever rode/owned...pretty scarce, you almost never seem then on ebay - they are rare and people I imagin want to keep them because they ride so damn good. :thumbsup:

I really should have bought another one while they were still available instead of replacing it with a Bontrager. BLAHHH!

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,747 Posts
So, did GT build the Psyclone in house or were they farmed out to another builder? If so, who actually built them?

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
muddybuddy said:
So, did GT build the Psyclone in house or were they farmed out to another builder? If so, who actually built them?
GT had their "Tech Shop" in Longmont, CO under the direction of Forrest Yelverton. A few of todays's great frame builders worked there, (like Nobilette). They produced the Fillet Brazed GT Edge road frames and the Psyclone mountain bike frames in addition to the bikes they produced under their "Project 96" involvement for the then USCF/US National team.

There's a former US Nat'l Team bike listed on the Bay right now and one of the Saturm Team GT Edge frames just sold on eBay last night. Yes, Psyclones seem to be rare but I think that's because the people that have them want to hang on to them. I love mine!

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
gm1230126 said:
RichieB you must have sold them?.....You done good above. Maurice Lavoie (sp?) was the BC builder who did the early Xizang's....the rest were Sandvik built.
Actually, I raced and rode trials for GT's Canadian team in the early 90's. It was a blast, and I still have a big soft spot for the old Zaskars and am in constant search for a ti/Cromo Xizang frame (the bolt-together one) that was produced in 91-92.

I actually heard that Lavoie never received payment for a great deal of the frames he built for GT, which is why they moved to Sandvik.

A little FYI for those GT buffs out there.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
richieb said:
That's what I was looking for. Does anyone have any info on the lower end steel models Outpost etc? From what I can remember, there were 3 models with the same basic frame. They varied in components only.I've got a frame I'm building up for my son. I really don't want to dump a ton of money in a beast if I can help it.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
my tid bits of info on GT

I've got me one of them Longmont/Nobilette made Psyclones hanging in the garage but the headtube is kind of dangling. :)

Cycleshark Pete has a neat mid-80s fillet brazed GT.

Had a GT Mach One in grade school which I loved.

Chased Jimmy Kight and Dave Cullinan around on their GT's in 91.

Had an LTS in the mid-late 90s. Great bike I thought.

·
Custom User Title
30 Posts
GM,
many people ask me about the Psyclone, so I had to tell them the truth...That it was stolen out of the garage! I've relegated myself now to a mint Ross Mt Whitney, which is actually a nice riding bike for what I'm doing with it. Still on the hunt for a yellow/blue Zaskar though....

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
CS2 said:
That's what I was looking for. Does anyone have any info on the lower end steel models Outpost etc? From what I can remember, there were 3 models with the same basic frame. They varied in components only.I've got a frame I'm building up for my son. I really don't want to dump a ton of money in a beast if I can help it.

CS2 the lower end early models were the Outpost Trail, Outpost and Talera. All were spec'd with 26x1.5 tires and the higher rise stems. The Bikepedia site has the specs starting in 1993. If you have a particular color frame from an earlier year let me know and I might be able to PM or email you something from one of the early catalogs. Be careful what you spend it's easy to find true "Garage Queen's" in those three models for 50-60 bucks. Very common, many thousands were sold!

@FB...that early fillet brazed frame that Shark has is probably a Cyclone which was later changed to Psyclone.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Wow, I had absolutely no idea they made steel Xizangs. I wouls LOVE to find one of those. Here's my '99 Psyclone, just for reference, of course.

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
It looks to be about an 84-86. What's the Cyclone?
I though it was around 87 vintage but not sure....will need to research it a bit.

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
Triple triangle started when? I had thought it was new for 88, but I think y'all have said 87 in the past. Prior to that everything kind of looked like hopped up BMX cruisers.

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Actually a guy named Hetchins made it famous decades ago it's actually called a 'Hellenic" frame. Know for sure that GT used triple triangle frames on mid to upper bikes in their line in 88 not sure about 87.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts