Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi.

I'm thinking about buying my first full-suspension bike and have been looking for the best buy and have come down to two final bikes, GT Sensor 3.0 or Trek Fuel Ex 5.

But i can't really make up my mind.

I haven't tried any of these bikes (planning to), but they seem to work well and have seen great reviews for each one.

My doubts for each one are:
On the GT the front fork (SR Mag 32) is nearly impossible to find any info on it although i've heard it works just fine and there where some reports of creacking and screws coming loose on the independent drive although they say it has changed on the Sensor design.

On the Trek I have some doubts about proprietary link joints for the ABP and it has a spring fork instead of being air sprung.

Any insight for current owners and any one who has riden these bikes?

Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would be leaning towards the trek or giant rather than the GT, especially if the GT has a Suntour fork (They call themselves SR Suntour so i'm guessing they dropped the Suntour part to make the fork look classier??)

Gear wise, the trek is better than the Giant. I have a TX2 and it rides great but it also has full fox suspension - whereas the TX4 has lower end Tora forks and 302's at that, and a propritary rear shock, which i have no idea about as they don't sell the TX4 here in Australia.

When you test ride them, also see if you can get a good deal on a 2010 model, as they're all being run out for a steal this time of year. Might mean you can look at a TX3 or a Trek EX6

1 - 3 of 3 Posts