Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I know...but I need the GT wisdom on this site.

Looking for a GT (and by that I mean pre-bankruptcy) road bike to round out the stable and I'm having trouble finding one.

Were the GT road bikes not big sellers, so there aren't many used ones out there?
Or, is it just that people that have them are hanging on to them?
The few I've seen on ebay do seem to fetch a decent price too.

Thoughts?

btw, I need a 54cm

·
Registered
19 Posts
Go with one of the new carbon bikes, bought mine back in Jan and the bike is awesome. The carbon fiber is so much smoother than aluminum on the road. GT is looked at as more of mtb company, although they did sponser Team Lotto back in the late 90's.

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
GT_guy said:
Yeah, I know...but I need the GT wisdom on this site.

Looking for a GT (and by that I mean pre-bankruptcy) road bike to round out the stable and I'm having trouble finding one.

Were the GT road bikes not big sellers, so there aren't many used ones out there?
Or, is it just that people that have them are hanging on to them?
The few I've seen on ebay do seem to fetch a decent price too.

Thoughts?

btw, I need a 54cm

Oh boy.....you must have been sleeping last week. There was a mid ninties vintage GT Edge frame with fork, headset and a few other bits. It went for a little over a hundred bucks. These were handmade at GT's Tech Shop facility in Longmont, CO. Very nice fillet brazed steel frames. If you can find one pic it up. It's a great bike to have in your GT stable. Fast, Light, Climbs what more could you ask for. These Edge frames were also made in aluminum and Titanium and they pop up every once and a while. PM me if you want more info.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Colorado Cyclist had the GT road frame in Team or Lotto colors just a few years ago. Check with them. They might still have them in the warehouse somewhere.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
I have a limited edition GT ZR1000. It's a purple fade to black. From what I was told, there was only a small run of these, and they were available to special dealers. I got it from a friend who worked at the GT office in Santa Ana. It's a size 55, and features Dura-Ace components, Mavic Cosmos wheels, and a Chris King heads. The handlebar wrap is new. the bike has about 1000 miles on it. Includes the Shimano Flight Deck computer, and a new set of cleats. The Shimano Ultegra 6610 pedals have only about 100 miles on them.

I'm selling it for $1000. Located in Orange County, CA.

For more pics or information, please e-mail me at [email protected].

Attachments

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
I say we all fill this thread so the folks at roadbikereview will start a GT thread. Can you believe they don't have one? Absurd. GT sells tons more road bikes than many of the other brands that have their own threads.

Here's a few!
GT Ti full Ultegra 10 and Ritchey WCS
Rare 650 GT Edge Ti made for 2000 Sydney Triathlete Jennifer Guiterrez now me Mrs. bike
96 GT Aero Fury in Ink Blue ano my sons bike

Attachments

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Since all the good folks at roadbikereview.com won't add a GT road bike thread in all there infinite stupidness....we'll just continue posting GT road bikes here in this thread I guess.

I just built up this GT Ti frame for my son. While weight and component choice was important I decided to go all aluminum parts with a carbon fork. Here's the spec list:

Frame: GT 56cm 3al/2.5V Titanium triple triangle
Fork: Ritchey Comp Carbon
Headset: Chris King 1" Nothreadset
Stem: Ritchey WCS 110mm
Handlebar: Ritche Comp Streem
Seat Post: Ritchey WCS
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
Crank: Shimano Ultegra 6600 172.5mm
BB: Shimano Ultegra
Front Derailler: Shimano Dura Ace
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra
Shifters: Shimano Ultegra 6600
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 11-23T 10speed
Chain: Shimano 105
Brakes: Shimano Ultegra
Wheels: Ritchey Protocol
Tires: WTB 700x23C kevlar
Seat Clamp: GT machined with Ti pin
Bar Tape: Junior is undecided at this point

Attachments

·
Sneaker man
3,464 Posts
you know just the other day i was thinking... if i ever buy a road bike what would i buy, was ruminating for a long time, then remebered i always wanted a kestral (due to an old nike video i had).... but then realised... well GT of course...

so bring it on for the road bikes i wanna see them...

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
This one is mine and was built up a year ago last March. It's a size bigger than my sons but is similar in build except the fork and wheels and saddle:

Frame: 58cm GT 3Al/2.5V Titanium Tripe Triangle frame
Fork: Easton EC90SL all carbon 1"
Headset: Chris King 1" Nothreadset
Stem: Ritchey WSC 4-Axis aluminum 110mm
Seat Post: Ritchey WCS alloy
Saddle: GT/ Vetta SL manganese
Wheels: Ritchey Pro DS OCR
Tires: Conti GP3000
Crank: Shimano Ultegra 6600 175mm
BB: Shimano Ultegra 6600
Front Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra 6600
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra 6600
Chain: Shimano Ultegra 6600
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 6600 11-23T

Attachments

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Just completed this one. The frame previously belonged to GT team manager Doug Martin.
- GT Tech Shop fillet brazed Reynolds 853 GT Edge frame with GT Chromoly fork
- Syncros Stem, Dura Ace headset with Salsa Moto Ace bar and GT Project 96 bar tape
- Mavic Cosmos wheels w/Ritchey Tires
- Dura Ace Derailleurs, brakes, BB, Crank and Pedals
- Ultegra Shift/Brake levers
- XTR Post with GT/Vetta SL saddle

It SCREAMS!

Attachments

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey GM, way to revive a 2 yr old thread just to rub in the fact that I still don't have one. ;)

Nice bike though!

If I had my choice, I'd like to find a 2000 model ZR-1000, 2000, or 3000.

Anyone interested in an Attack? Think it's a 58 or 60cm frame. 1998 I believe, never been ridden on the road, just in a trainer.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Ride report on the white Edge....quietest road bike I've ever built...Very stealthy ride...not sure if it's the Mavic rear hub or just a great build up. Very fast but a tad harsher ride than my Edge Ti with EC90 carbon fork. This one's next in the stand....awaiting the arrival of a few parts

Attachments

·
Registered
962 Posts
Can't wait to see this one built up. It's gonna look good GM

·
Registered
84 Posts
And how it is now, gets ridden 4-5 times a week, really still love this bike!

And how it is now, gets ridden 4-5 times a week, really still love this bike!
GTZR3.0 Ultegra.jpg

Actually I need to update this pic too as I now run a different seat and stem and possibly bars too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gt edge aluminum

Just picked up a GT edge aluminum 54cm for free with carbon forks and upgraded rims. Its crazy iridescent purple color. Don't know much about road bikes and was wondering if this was a good first rodie?

·
Registered
3 Posts
1999 - gt zr 2000

I just got this 1999 GT ZR2000, the guy only used it for couple of months and then stored in the garage. All the part are still from 1999 except the tires. So happy to have it in near new condition:)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts