Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Yeah, I've been lucky enough to even ride it a time or two. For me the plus's include a stiff frame and great handling. The only thing I didn't care for was it is coming out with V-brakes. Next years model will have disc's.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Don't be skeptical

Vermont29er said:
I'm very skeptical about GTs since they were bought by Pacific aka Huffy
GT's are still decent off roadable machines that are on par with or better than alot of companies products, at least from a frame only perspective. Pacific has kept them on their own and hasn't watered them down to department store levels like they did to Schwinn and to some extent, Mongoose. (Which still has high quality products available along with department store crap)

What brings the perception that GT is junk is the "guilt by association" thinking that has been perpetrated by the independant bicycle dealers to some extent, because alot of LBS's see Pacific Cycles as the "devil" in retail bicycle sales. That being tied up with the "big box" stores, and that's a whole nuther story there! Anyway, GT isn't bad, just hard to find. We used to have a bunch of LBS's carrying GT in this region and they all dropped GT like a bad habit when they got gobbled up by Pacific.

I just bring this all up because the perception that GT is crap now is not fair. This Peace 29"er, although a bit odd, is probably a fine rig. Too bad there won't be many around this neck of the woods. I couldn't tell you where the nearest GT dealer is to me anymore!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
ozbikebuddy said:
Hey Andy
This is on my shopping list love to hearmore on this as made a post last week with only 1 responce to pics i already had.
Sorry it took so long to respond. I was away from the computer for a few days. The bike comes with 2:1 gearing. Tough! She rides great and is quick to respond. Climbing wise, she is what you would expect out of a rigid bike; reactive. When you put the pedal down, she jumps forward. I'll see about getting the spec's.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
What brings the perception that GT is junk is the "guilt by association"
True to a point, but also, it seems like a company trying to "buy" some street cred, which is always lame. Kinda like McDonalds co-opting some bogus hip hop marketing to appear hip again, and again, and again. Pacific should just stick to what they know, and be true to it, building crappy bikes with steel V brakes, and Shimano SIS "Index Shift Systems" (oooh, Ma, I want that, it's got Sheemano) =:)

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Perceptions may vary

MendonCycleSmith said:
True to a point, but also, it seems like a company trying to "buy" some street cred, which is always lame. Kinda like McDonalds co-opting some bogus hip hop marketing to appear hip again, and again, and again. Pacific should just stick to what they know, and be true to it, building crappy bikes with steel V brakes, and Shimano SIS "Index Shift Systems" (oooh, Ma, I want that, it's got Sheemano) =:)
This is your perception and a valid one for you. I doubt; however, that most average trail bicyclist would even know who owns GT Bicycles now. The main problem, if any, with their "street cred" is that it's nigh unto impossible to find a dealer to even test ride a GT now a days. Since you don't see many, or even have an opportunity to test ride one, the resulting credibility will be lacking. That's my take on it anyway.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
This is your perception and a valid one for you. I doubt; however, that most average trail bicyclist would even know who owns GT Bicycles now. The main problem, if any, with their "street cred" is that it's nigh unto impossible to find a dealer to even test ride a GT now a days. Since you don't see many, or even have an opportunity to test ride one, the resulting credibility will be lacking. That's my take on it anyway.
I gotta agree with Guitar Ted (GT if you will) on this. I know several riders (industry riders) that all ride on GT's. They come from GT, Shimano, Oakley, Vans, Easton and a few other companies as well. These guys have options. Many options, as to which bike they will be riding on. They are all on GT's. Their bikes are every bit as reliable as my Seven and my Niner. In fact on some occasions, even more reliable.

·
new specialized enduro :)
64 Posts
Theres nothing wrong with GT bikes. They are extremely strong and extremely reliable - I presume their are questions over their inventiveness or how readilly they get new shiny things. But then again I-Drive was a stable pedalling platform before anyone else had one. I have one myself, can't remeber if I got it before or after Pacific Cycles took over, Brookvale Bike Factory in Oz still deals in GT, oh yeh, Schwinn suck

·
Registered
346 Posts
its all good agruing

We can all bad Pacific, but hell they, just like Redline and Raliegh are doing what the other "BIG" companies wont do, produce affordable 29ers, they are giving exposure to those without huge budgets, all the more power I saw, to get people into 29er we should be patting them on the back and supporting them not being bike snobs and cutting the off at the knees!

Anyway does anyone hane some more concrete info on this bike, geometry wise I mean?

Any more ride report would be appreciated.

P.S. down here in Aust the top GT hardtail, the Avalanche Pro, just got 9.5/10, against Kona scott, trek, orbea, norco. And has sold out nation wide B4 the review even hit the newsstands! This being the case just how bad can a GT actually be?:madman:

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
True, however.......

evilbike said:
Performance carries all the Pacific owned brands.
It's a bit difficult to touch, smell, eyeball, and test ride a bike from a website or mailer. :D

You still are going to move more bikes if you get them in front of people where they can do the above things.

Then comes the "cred", as was discussed earlier in the thread.

Then you dispell the notion that "GT are crap bikes" as was stated even earlier in the thread.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
OK so I was able to get ahold of the spec's sheet for the GT Peace and the GT Peace 9r. Below is the listing. It came to me on an Excel spread sheet so I'm not sure how it's going to look on this message.

Peace (will be listed 1st)
Peace 9r (will be listed 2nd)
YEAR
COLORS
Mirror Grey
Lacquer White
SIZES
S/M/L
S/M/L
FRAME
GT Triple Triangle SS design, revised sizing (smaller), butted cr-mo tubes, alloy BB eccentric, standard 1-1/8" head tube, disc brake, investment cast dropouts
GT Triple Triangle SS design for 29" wheels, butted cr-mo tubes, alloy BB eccentric, standard 1-1/8" head tube, V-brake, investment cast dropouts
FORK
GT design, 4130 cr-mo rigid XC fork with 31.8mm tapered blades, 1-1/8" steerer tube, disc mounting, investment cast dropouts
GT design, 4130 cr-mo rigid XC fork with 31.8mm tapered blades, 1-1/8" steerer tube, V-brake, investment cast dropouts
CRANKSET
Truvativ Blaze, forged AL 66, "Howitzer M-15" BB interface, 32T single ring with cnc alloy guard
Truvativ Blaze, forged AL 66, "Howitzer M-15" BB interface, 32T single ring with cnc alloy guard
BB
Truvativ, Howitzer M-15 cr-mo axle, sealed bearings, alloy cups
Truvativ, Howitzer M-15 cr-mo axle, sealed bearings, alloy cups
PEDALS Bolt-on alloy cage with alloy body Bolt-on alloy cage with alloy body
CASSETTE
16T cog
18T cog
CHAIN
KMC Z610 HX 3/32"
KMC Z610 HX 1/8"
RIMS
WTB SpeedDisc, 24mm wide double wall, 32 hole
WTB Dual Duty FR 29er, double wall, 28mm wide, 32 hole
FRONT TIRE
WTB ExiWolf, 60tpi, 2.3"
WTB ExiWolf, 60tpi, 29x2.3"
REAR TIRE
WTB ExiWolf, 60tpi, 2.3"
WTB ExiWolf, 60tpi, 29x2.3"
FRONT HUB
Alloy, disc type, QR axle
Alloy, disc type, QR axle
REAR HUB
Alloy, disc type, sealed bearing SS cassette, 16T cog, 135mm spacing, QR axle
Alloy, sealed bearing SS cassette, 18T cog, 135mm spacing, QR axle
SPOKES
Stainless 14 guage
Stainless 14 guage
NIPPLES
CP Brass
FRONT BRAKE
Tektro, Aquila mechanical disc, 160mm rotor
Tektro, MT-15 forged V-brake, linear spring, cartridge pads
REAR BRAKE
Tektro, Aquila mechanical disc, 160mm rotor
Tektro, MT-15 forged V-brake, linear spring, cartridge pads
BRAKE LEVERS
Tektro, ML-730 alloy
Tektro, ML-730 alloy
HANDLEBAR
Truvativ XR Riser, 25mm rise, 25.4 OD.
Truvativ XR Riser, 25mm rise, 25.4 OD.
STEM
Truvativ XR, 3D cold forged, 12 degree rise, 75/90/105
Truvativ XR, 3D cold forged, 12 degree rise, 60/90/105
GRIPS
WTB Street Smart design with 3m end plugs
WTB Street Smart design with 3m end plugs
HEADSET
TH, standard press-in 1-1/8" alloy cups, cage bearings
TH, standard press-in 1-1/8" alloy cups, cage bearings
SADDLE
WTB Laser V Race, soft shell, stitched cover, 7mm rails
WTB Laser V Race, soft shell, stitched cover, 7mm rails
SEAT POST
3-D cold forged, micro adjust
3-D cold forged, micro adjust
SEAT CLAMP
GT cold forged, GT QR lever
GT cold forged, GT QR lever

·
*Hotter than Hell*
710 Posts
Andy aka Rut said:
OK so I was able to get ahold of the spec's sheet for the GT Peace and the GT Peace 9r. Below is the listing. It came to me on an Excel spread sheet so I'm not sure how it's going to look on this message.

Peace 9r (will be listed 2nd)
YEAR
SIZES
S/M/L
FRAME
GT Triple Triangle SS design for 29" wheels, butted cr-mo tubes, alloy BB eccentric, standard 1-1/8" head tube, V-brake, investment cast dropouts
No size XL? No disc option? Might change between now and when the bike is released, if not my wait is over.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.