Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is Mathias and I live in a quite big city in Denmark. This is my first post on this forum.

The reason why I am here, is that I some kind of bike to transport me from my home to the university and some smaller trips in my freetime.

I don't know ANYTHING about MTBs or bicycles on generel, so I guess I need everything cut out.

I have been looking at a GT 04' Avalanche 3.0 and a Trek 4100. Both bikes costs the same and are on sale at my local cycle-shop.

As sait before I don't know anything so I can't relly use the specs on the two bikes.

What bike would you pick and why? Anything else I need to know of think about? Good/bad things about the two bikes?

Thank you and have a very nice weekend!

GT Avalanche: http://billigcykel.dk/shop/productinfo.asp?id=460 (danish page)

Trek 4100: http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/mountain/4100.jsp

Best Regards,
Mathias from Denmark

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just found out that the Trek 4300 is only about $40 extra than the 4100 so it would be stupid not to get the upgrade, right?

By the way I weigh 75 kg (165 pounds) and I am 186 cm (6,1 feet) tall.

·
otbmbc.com
213 Posts
MathiasDK said:
I just found out that the Trek 4300 is only about $40 extra than the 4100 so it would be stupid not to get the upgrade, right?

By the way I weigh 75 kg (165 pounds) and I am 186 cm (6,1 feet) tall.
I bought the 4300 w/discs for $429. Not sure which model you are talking about.

But, it has been a great bike. The frame is its best atribute and for that reason you can upgrade it little by little if you like.

Since I bought this bike, I've upgraded the stem to a more aggressive RaceFace, the Derailures to Shimano LX, the Shifters to LX, the Cassette and Chain to SRAM, the Pedals to Ritchey Comp V3 clipless, the Fork to Marzocchi EXR Pro. Next, its the Crankset.

So, basically, I've put in about 2X's as much $$$ as I paid for it, but its now a pretty MEAN hardtail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.