Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Would like some feedback on what you people think about a couple of bikes.
They are 2009 Giant anthem x2 and 2008 GT marathon 2.0.
The riding i enjoy is cross country and down hill.Also entered into the 2009 Karapoti challenge.Hoping these bikes are all good for that to.I have a limited budget of NZ$2800 which doesn't buy much in the full suspension range.These two bikes are the best i could find with my budget.

I'm going to buy one of these.not sure which one though.

Looking forward to what you all think.

Cheers.

·
lookin' for a hill
357 Posts
I like the maestro suspension on paper, seems like it would work kinda like VPP. though, I still turn my nose at Giant for previous rumours of weakened frames most likely caused by their effort to shave weight. So if you aren't a clyde, go for it. I think they put a sweet bike together, if you're in to their sorta thing.

as for the GT, the 2.0 seems like quite a different price bracket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nikwashere said:
I like the maestro suspension on paper, seems like it would work kinda like VPP. though, I still turn my nose at Giant for previous rumours of weakened frames most likely caused by their effort to shave weight. So if you aren't a clyde, go for it. I think they put a sweet bike together, if you're in to their sorta thing.

as for the GT, the 2.0 seems like quite a different price bracket.
$2800 for giant anthem x2

$3000 for gt marathon 2.0

spec wise,only difference is giant slx drivetrain.gt is Lx.Other than that,pretty much the same.

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
go Giant

mikeflohr said:
$2800 for giant anthem x2

$3000 for gt marathon 2.0

spec wise,only difference is giant slx drivetrain.gt is Lx.Other than that,pretty much the same.
I've had a Trance /maestro and a GT ID 5 (two of them). Both work VERY well and both are very efficient. Both companies seem to have good customer service. The GT is a bit simpler mechanically. But for about the same price, I'd go with a the giant. And that's a very close call. The only thing that I can say is that the Idrive has, on a rare occassion, a bit of pedal kickback, especially on some of the more technical climbs. And there's also some hint of brake jack on the GT. But I really enjoyed both frames very much.

You'll also get a bit better 'name brand' value with the Giant, if that matters.

REEK

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I weigh 200lbs.The 2009 giant anthem x2 is the lightest aluminium frame they've ever made.I've also heard the rear shock,Fox float r,doesn't work to well with heavier people.What do you think?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been thinking about the two bikes.Not to keen on the GT.Not a bad bike though,just think i can get something a bit better.As for the Anthem x2,i might be limiting myself.I also like a bit of downhill and a bit of jumping but mainly cross country.Not a good bike for the first two i think.Im starting to lean towards the 2009 giant trance x3.Basicly the same as last years trance x2.Only thing is its going to cost me an extra $500.Got to get the right bike though,so,it will be worth it.

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
lightest?

That might be a concern but unless they publish a weight restriction for their frame, shouldn't be a major issue. If you use the bike for its intended purpose, should be ok. The GT is a heavier frame if you are worried about that.

I had a 2001 NRS which, back then was considered a pretty thin walled frame. Took it to Northstar for 2 seasons (don't laugh, I didn't have enough for more than 1 bike back then). The frame held up fine until I wrecked and actually hit a rock. Then the frame folded like paper.

I think for XC racing, the Giant will do fine. Seems to be specifically designed for that purpose only. Then the Trance takes over for any other riding beyond racing. I could be wrong though.

The fox air shock - I'm 200 lbs, I've never had issues with any Fox air shock to date. I've had to change the volume on my high volume cans on my newer fox's but other than that, no issues. May be more of an issue with suspension set up/pressure and sag set up than the actual shock.

The GT will likely be better for trail riding and useable for XC racing. The original GT IDXC 4 inch bikes had some issues with breakage at the bottom bracket linkage area, but that's been redesigned and haven't heard of breakage issues since then.

REEK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.