Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
getting back into mountain biking... need help on bike...

Hey guys,
I first started riding back in 98 when I was in High School, my first real MTB was a Mongoose SX 6.5, which I still have by the way. I stopped for a few years and now going back into riding my bike... as i search online i dont see mongoose's beeing sold anywhere but walmart, so my question is what happened? i am also looking to buy a new bike or new used bike... my friend was actually selling his bike for $600... below is the details on the bike itself...

This is what he said... Most of the component parts on the bike is made by Shimano, Prodigy Raceface XG 3-piece crank, MRD Hyperlite Front Suspension Fork, Fox Rear Suspension, Syntace Carbon Fiber Neck/Stem, Titanium Seat, Shimano Clamp-in pedals, Specialized Quick-releases, Mavic Ceramic Rims with DT HuGI hubs and a Carbon Fiber handle bar.

I believe he was going to sell it to me for $600.00 Is this worth it? Im also going to include a couple of pics for you... please give me some info as i am still new at this, lol...

Is it worth the $600.00??? or are there any other alternative bikes out there for $500-600???

thanks again,
raphael

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Mongoose is just a brand name to me, mostly aimed at the mass market; think they started doing bmx bikes and put their name on some mountain bikes for a while. They are a part of Pacific's group of brands along with GT and Schwinn, all mass market stuff these days.

What frame are all those components on? Sounds like it might be a good deal so far based on the component brands if you want lightweight racing type components, altho not knowing specific models of hub, rim, stem, etc, and extent of use they've had, hard to really say how good a deal. Sure hope that isn't really a titanium saddle, that might not be too comfortable :rolleyes: (likely has titanium seat rails).
Those would probably be clipless pedals, not clamp on. Certainly a higher level of componentry that would be available on a new bike in that price range.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was always told "never buy a car from a friend if you still want to remain friends later". I don't know if that holds true for bikes, but i assume it would. There are alot of recommendations of IBEX bikes on this website. Itook those recommendations and bought an IBEX and couldn't be happier. For the money vs. great components, you can't go wrong, plus you're getting a great frame. Walmart, Target, Sports Authority, Dick's Sporting Good's, are making plenty of money selling lesser quality Mongooses, GT's and Diamondbacks, (which back in the day were great bikes IMHO). Before buying that bike from your friend look at the IBEX website and compare components, weight , etc. vs the GT, I think you'll get more bang for the buck with IBEX, plus it'll be new.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.